Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:54 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post

Don't forget that in areas with higher cost of living, you gain equity at a faster rate, which is like forced savings. If you live for the future and not for the now, that can be a very good thing.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

How much equity did you lose in 2008-2012? Don't even ask me what it cost us.

Living for the future instead of now? Get diagnosed with some serious illness at 40, or have someone close to you pass away at a young age - you'll realize real quick that it's ALL about today.

Just my 2 cents, but I feel pretty strongly about it. And happy that I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 03:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more.

How much equity did you lose in 2008-2012? Don't even ask me what it cost us.

Living for the future instead of now? Get diagnosed with some serious illness at 40, or have someone close to you pass away at a young age - you'll realize real quick that it's ALL about today.

Just my 2 cents, but I feel pretty strongly about it. And happy that I do.
The market was flat 2008-2012 where I moved from. Minimal losses at best.

I'm not saying don't have fun or don't experience life. You can have fun and experience life without living in a 3500 square foot house with high-end finishes. At the same time, don't assume you're going to live a short life - plan ahead for retirement so you (and your kids) can live comfortably in your golden years.

Moving to a lower cost of living area just so you can buy what is perceived as a nicer house, is crazy to me.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:13 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Follow your gut instincts. If something doesn't feel right then it isn't right for you.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:15 PM

806 posts, read 604,302 times
I would bet money OP will make more money or certainly lose less money buying a house here than buying one in Seattle right now. The pricing there is not sustainable and it's going to get ugly. 1,700sq ft shack sold for $1.25 million in my old neighborhood a few weeks ago. It's laughable. Seattle is not San Francisco, hello. See the weather out today, this is what it's like there for most of 9 months out of the year. Haha.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:29 PM

28 posts, read 25,584 times
In reading back over I shouldn't describe it as feeling like "home". It actually wasn't where I had roots. My husband and I grew up in Florida, before moving to Washington for 6 years. All our family is in Florida, none in Washington or NC. I never missed Florida when we left, and Seattle clicked for me immediately.

It took me nearly a year to realize what I disliked about the Triangle, and realized why so many didn't take issue with it since it has all the important factors: safety, family friendly, great schools etc. I find it boring in comparison. I love seeing and doing new things and am very into scenic beauty. It might sound silly but over a year in and it still bugs me that so much of the interstate sides / exits are littered with trash.

I can summarize it as Seattle is the "exciting" choice and the Triangle is the "practical" choice. I get bored with practical though

For reference we live in Central Cary and like it best in the area, downtown area specifically. I work in Holly Springs ( Not a fan) and my husband in Chapel Hill (we like it there, but too rural feeling.) We've done road trips we much enjoyed (mountains, NY/CT, Myrtle Beach) but I haven't found any activities here I really appreciate other then the occasional comedy show, Downtown Cary fountain with family etc.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:34 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
People who move solely for monetary reasons generally end up pretty unhappy. However, the financial burdens of living in an extremely high COL area like Seattle cannot be discounted.

I would give it another year here and see how you feel. Your child is still young. Moving after kindergarten will not be that big of a deal. We moved when my youngest was going into 1st grade, she didn't care at all and only remembers her original home because it's around the corner from my ILs whom we obviously still visit.

I find people who move for the wrong reasons usually make another mistake when they move again. So - I would take your time with this decision. I've known people who just had to move back to wherever they came from and were like "oh, yeah, this is why we moved in the first place, why did we come back here?". Ultimately only you can know what is going to be important to you going forward. And ultimately what anyone else thinks of what you value is not important - make yourself happy.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Have you explored places elsewhere in NC and neighboring states? The Outer Banks, Charlotte, Myrtle Beach, etc?

Personally, I don't like to struggle financially. I think if your money goes further here, you're in a better spot here then. It would be different if you were in some small boring town, but Raleigh's a somewhat larger city and does have certain things going on.

But trust me, I feel where you're coming from. Cary's no Seattle lol.
We explored Charlotte just for a few hours. Made a trip to the Blue Ridge Pkwy a couple times, Boone, Myrtle Beach, Asheville, Wilmington, and NY/CT. We love weekend road trips.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime00 View Post
It sounds like you are fairly set on returning. Do you have family in Seattle?
We moved here about 1.5 years ago with a 3 month old. It was hard for my wife since she only lived in one area her whole life. I used to get begged into moving back to Virginia, but I have a good job here and security. Today, I wouldn't say she loves it here, but she is much more used to it.

We weren't used to the humid summers initially, but it isn't so bad to us anymore. We miss our favorite restaurants, but we founds a few new ones. We miss our old friends, but we are trying to get out and make new ones as well.

I think Cary is different. I don't love it and I don't hate it, but it is a good place for us right now. Will we live here forever? Nope, but we surely will for several years.
Your situation sounds very familiar. Except for the heat part, growing up in FL I know I'll never acclimate to it

Old 03-27-2018, 06:57 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
Hmm...Cary is very different from Seattle. What a shock! What did you expect?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
So you're looking at safer finances here vs a tug on the heartstrings there? Can you stay here another year or two and build up some more savings? At the same time maybe splurge on a trip back and make sure that hindsight isn't wearing rose-colored glasses?

We don't have Mount Rainier on the horizon, but there are opportunities for outdoor activities. See what you can find that is similar to what you used to enjoy there. We do have ferries at the coast. Take the Swan Quarter ferry over to Ocracoke. Do you think Cary is the best-fit Triangle community for you? It wouldn't be for me.

I think it sounds like moving back might be good for you, but I'm not sure there's a real urgency. I know your little one will be starting Kindy, but you can still make a move after she's had a year or two of school here. My kids moved schools in 2nd and 5th grade and they did okay with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary