Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:35 PM

68 posts, read 77,964 times

Advertisements

What are the differences between the two areas? Durham, NC and Raleigh, NC Which area would be considered the "better" area? I have noticed when looking for apartments Raleigh seems to be on more expensive side compared to Durham therefore I was wondering why that might be. I look forward to your thought on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 01:32 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
The invisible hand of supply and demand.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:48 PM

386 posts, read 436,710 times
depends on a million factors and how you define "better"

restauarants and artsy stuff? convenience to work in RTP? maybe Durham

schools and neighborhoods, safety? Most parts of Raleigh

Old 03-28-2018, 03:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
First, thank you for realizing that Raleigh and Durham are in fact two different cities. So many who are not from here don't get that and think "Raleigh-Durham" or "RTP" is a city.

Second, there is no answer to "which is better"--better for what? For you? Only you can decide that. Do you have a job lined up? Commute time/being close to work would be a factor in which is "better". What things do you like to do? Each city has its own attractions and most who live here go to both pretty regularly. You don't say where you live now, but if there is any kind of "dual cites area" near you, it's the same situation here.

Durham county tends to be cheaper because historically, Durham was seen as Raleigh's "ugly stepsister", but Durham has had tremendous things going on in this Century downtown and has Duke University, plus one of the busiest and best Broadway touring theaters in the US as well as a minor league baseball team. Wake county (Raleigh's county) is said to have better schools, which is why a lot of people with kids want to be there, but it also means higher cost of living to pay for those "better schools" which just happens to be one of the ~15 largest school systems in the US with more kids added every year and horrible overcrowding issues, perpetually.

I would suggest reading up on both cities, via Wikipedia or right here through City-Data's own "cities" page with a link to every city. TONS of info in those pages, which people rarely seem to be aware of despite the name of this site.

We can't tell you which city you would prefer, or if the cost would turn out to be a major factor in your decision. Your job and whether you have children, plus your own general leisure preferences, will be the main factors. Or live partway in between and be closer to both.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:09 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
What is your lifestyle? Do you have children and care about schools? Where will you be working? What activities do you want to be near?

I would say it all just depends on a multitude of factors but overall raleigh is “better” because of schools but Durham is fun especially for young professionals. If you give us more info we can provide a better recommendation.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:40 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
I admittedly am pretty uneducated regarding Durham. I'm curious though, I always see people recommending Durham to young professionals. Is there much to do outside the small gentrified downtown area? If you live around the downtown area, where do you go for groceries and other shopping? Is it at all convenient?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:05 PM

174 posts, read 194,493 times
I really do NOT want to start flamewar with The Locals, but even after four years here we have to look at our Garmin to figure out which of the towns we are in half the time. Yes, indeed, the downtowns and Official Points of Interest are distinctive but... one highway, mall or strip center looks pretty much like another around here.

We live on the R/D borderland near the major intercity road. Everything seems a bit overpriced, but it gets a bit more reasonable towards the rapidly expanding edges.

Personally, almost all of it is delightful, and the rest tolerable.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:17 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I admittedly am pretty uneducated regarding Durham. I'm curious though, I always see people recommending Durham to young professionals. Is there much to do outside the small gentrified downtown area? If you live around the downtown area, where do you go for groceries and other shopping? Is it at all convenient?
Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, Food Lion, the Durham Coop, and Bulldega are all w/in 2 miles of downtown Durham.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/g...78.9211405,14z

As, Francois alluded to DPAC is regarded as one of the best venues of its size in the country. The Carolina Theater is another excellent venue for both music and a variety of films that you won't see at the local cineplex. The Durham Bulls are an excellent day out. The Nasher art museum and Duke Gardens rival the gardens and the NC Art Museum in Raleigh. I really don't find the need to go to Raleigh much at all unless I'm going to a march. Southpoint tops Crabtree IMO. The NC Museum of Life and Science is better for energetic families than the NC Museum of Natural Sciences with acres of land for kids to run around on and burn off energy. What do you do in Raleigh that you couldn't do in Durham?

Both are good cities on the rise. For the OP, I'd live where the job is.

Last edited by poppydog; 03-28-2018 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 10:11 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Live in Cary but in Durham all the time not being a jackass with this comment but honestly why not go down there and check it out, but to answer your question whole foods on broad st, and harris teeter on 9th street are a hop skip and a jump away from DT Durham(basically dukes east campus separates them) and you also have the Durham Co-op(sorta like weaver st market but I like weaver better) right outside of DT(by a delicious place called grub you should check it out). Also honestly I wouldn't call Durham's DT small in comparison to DT Raleigh

been making vids on IG lately and made two durham vids recently

https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram...44808704_n.mp4

https://scontent-sjc3-1.cdninstagram...07324672_n.mp4

anyways don't know where you are at in the triangle but don't let news stories keep you from going there next time you are free check it out for yourself

Old 03-29-2018, 06:04 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,622 times
Adding to PoppyDog's post - along with all that Durham has the ATT (American Tobacco Trail) and Duke Wall on East campus for walking/running/biking. They also just opened the Ellerbe Creek Trail extension a few days ago. Eno Park has tons of hiking & guided walks. We are lucky to have easy access to so much nature right in town.

Central Park has not only the farmers' market, but food truck rodeos, outdoor movies & concerts year around. Smaller venues & fun things like the Durham History Museum, Clay Makers and a bunch of galleries - check out Third Friday some time, you'll be amazed.

We've done movies under the stars at Duke Garden, free lawn concerts at the American Tobacco Campus, and run .262 miles (yes really point 262) to Fullsteam & watched amazing feats of strength all while drinking great craft beer & raising money for Habitat for Humanity.

If you pay attention there is actually more going on in Durham than there are hours in a week. Hardest part is deciding what to do & what to say No to.

And I didn't even mention the bigger events like Moogfest or Art of Cool that Durham hosts every year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary