Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 08:17 AM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I am sitting here today and have counted at least 10 low flying planes over my house IN THE PAST HOUR!! In the past couple months it's been a few a day, when before that it was extremely rare to hear any planes in this area (N Ral, near Rolesville)

It's frankly starting to freak me out a bit, as well as being really annoying as it's extremely loud.

And today, it's every ten minutes!

Does anyone notice this too? Does anyone know what it is? I tried calling the non emergency police number and they had no idea.

I'm just an armchair aviation enthusiast, and this will be a long reply, so take this with a grain of salt:

If these "low flying" planes are taking off from/departing RDU, heading in a northeasterly direction (the main runways are aligned in a n/ne to s/southwesterly direction) over your house, then as others said it could just be more planes with the growth in our area-- airlines adding flights.
And during takeoff, once they're climbing out of the runway alignment, they can turn and set their route toward their destination, which could bring them more over your house, depending on their destination. Maybe more routes were added that, drectionally, would take more planes over your house.

If these aircraft are on approach, heading ***into RDU, (heading in a southwesterly direction) it's unlikely that they're flying any lower than planes normally do into RDU. The instrument landing systems and "glide slope" (proper altitude of the plane relative to the threshold of the runway) don't change much. E.g. Altitude of approaching aircraft remains close to the same all the time.

I wonder if, with our gusty weather lately if some jets approaching RDU are keeping their engines spooled up to a higher thrust setting, to be sure they stay above the glide slope, against any sudden gusts or downdrafts ??? This would make them sound a lot louder.

In calmer weather, some jets approach an airport with their throttles pulled back more toward flight idle, or a low thrust setting. But i think, when the wind is variable and gusty, it'd be good to keep jet engines spooled high enough to respond quickly to further changes in lift / downward gusts.

Also, being this is N Raleigh/Rolesville, if these planes are on approach to RDU, they're probably still on their Base approach, meaning they haven't yet turned onto their final alignment with the runway, so, depending on where they're coming from, they might line up for final from a different vector / route, that takes them over your house.

Just my two (or three) cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Small light aircraft going to the regional airports won't use those arrivals or departures. The OP never specified but by inference it sounds like they are seeing smaller airplanes.
Yes, all of them are small planes.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I guess what I'm failing to understand is why is it causing you such anxiety? Why the need to call the police? It sounds like you're afraid of something. Why is the sound of planes disconcerting and causing you to freak out?

(No judgement. Just trying to understand)
Omg....for the THIRD TIME. I did NOT CALL 911. I called the non emergency number, the one you are supposed to use when you have a non emergency concern. I was concerned that I was hearing and seeing an inordinate amount of single engine planes flying overhead that day, and wondered if it was because of some event or commemoration or something.
It sounds to me you may be the one with a bit of anxiety my friend.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gball721 View Post
I'm just an armchair aviation enthusiast, and this will be a long reply, so take this with a grain of salt:

If these "low flying" planes are taking off from/departing RDU, heading in a northeasterly direction (the main runways are aligned in a n/ne to s/southwesterly direction) over your house, then as others said it could just be more planes with the growth in our area-- airlines adding flights.
And during takeoff, once they're climbing out of the runway alignment, they can turn and set their route toward their destination, which could bring them more over your house, depending on their destination. Maybe more routes were added that, drectionally, would take more planes over your house.

If these aircraft are on approach, heading ***into RDU, (heading in a southwesterly direction) it's unlikely that they're flying any lower than planes normally do into RDU. The instrument landing systems and "glide slope" (proper altitude of the plane relative to the threshold of the runway) don't change much. E.g. Altitude of approaching aircraft remains close to the same all the time.

I wonder if, with our gusty weather lately if some jets approaching RDU are keeping their engines spooled up to a higher thrust setting, to be sure they stay above the glide slope, against any sudden gusts or downdrafts ??? This would make them sound a lot louder.

In calmer weather, some jets approach an airport with their throttles pulled back more toward flight idle, or a low thrust setting. But i think, when the wind is variable and gusty, it'd be good to keep jet engines spooled high enough to respond quickly to further changes in lift / downward gusts.

Also, being this is N Raleigh/Rolesville, if these planes are on approach to RDU, they're probably still on their Base approach, meaning they haven't yet turned onto their final alignment with the runway, so, depending on where they're coming from, they might line up for final from a different vector / route, that takes them over your house.

Just my two (or three) cents.
Well thank you for a very concise and polite response. That could very well be it. Appreciate your input.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Well thank you for a very concise and polite response. That could very well be it. Appreciate your input.
First hardly any of what he posted makes sense and second for some reason you refuse to acknowledge the small airplanes you are seeing over Rolesville most likely aren't headed into or out of RDU - there is a nice airport up in Youngsville/Louisburg that handles a lot of smaller GA airplanes which would explain why they were lower over you in that area.

People keep focusing on large airplanes even though you inferred it from the beginning and finally said it on one of your last posts that what you are seeing are smaller light GA planes which is what I was figuring from the start.

The police can't do anything about this, your best bet if you are truly concerned is to contact the FAA. Note, this should be used for airplanes "buzzing" buildings (ie extremely close to the ground) or operating in a reckless manner not doing what you described.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...ia/nlowfly.pdf

There is more boat traffic on the lake for the same reasons you're seeing more airplanes now. I echo the comments of why are you so concerned? Do you call the police when you see more car traffic on a particular day? The people operating these small airplanes are private citizens just like you.

Last edited by wheelsup; 04-08-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-08-2018, 11:49 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Omg....for the THIRD TIME. I did NOT CALL 911. I called the non emergency number, the one you are supposed to use when you have a non emergency concern. I was concerned that I was hearing and seeing an inordinate amount of single engine planes flying overhead that day, and wondered if it was because of some event or commemoration or something.
It sounds to me you may be the one with a bit of anxiety my friend.
I didn't say you called 911, but you did call the police. You said it was freaking you out. I'm just trying to figure out why.

No need to get so defensive. I'm just attempting to understand what was freaking you out.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:03 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
Default That's a good clarification.

Quote:
Yes, all of them are small planes.
I was envisioning larger, jet aircraft in my rather long (but appreciated) response!
Best.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:39 PM

163 posts, read 154,419 times
Oh, this is in Rolesville? It must be cropdusters, then.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:59 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
jeepers. I'm sorry that small planes are causing you such concern. They fly lower, on different paths, but at MUCH lower noise than commercial aircraft. Whether they're going to RDU General Aviation or numerous small airports sprinkled about is very different too.

The cloud cover/ceiling, wind patterns, etc have more effect on the big, noticeable planes. While RDU is oriented on a NE/SW axis, I see a LOT of smaller planes approaching and leaving more east/west, which coincide which going over my house near Crabtree. I've never worried about it.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:11 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
No way are there arrivals at RDU every 10 minutes....the airport has two terminals and one of them is mostly empty (full disclosure; it's been over two years since I've flown out of RDU so this may no longer be the case).

Must be something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary