Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncitgal View Post
We received a letter last night that says that my kids kindergarten classes are so overcrowded that they need to create an extra 1st grade class to accomodate them next yr. I have twins in kindergarten. Now do you think that they would create that class on track 1..the most popular at this school...or maybe even track 4...no, they created it on track 3!!! So they are asking for voluteers to move to track 3 next yr or else they will make the moves themselves. So basically their complete lack of planning (like why would they let the kids that came to these classes mid year cram the popular tracks completely full?). They created this problem, but we get to pay for it. If they had a policy of putting kids that come in mid yr in less popular tracks, and then creating a new class if necessary, then those kids wouldn't have to change tracks. Not to put down kids that come in mid year, but we all have to apply for tracks and be accepted and not everyone gets first choice, so its no different. We have plans for Sept & Dec trackouts already...this would not be good.
Sorry about your issues - but Here's the scoop - for those applying for year round schools - you take the year round schedule first - then the track. You really have to be willing to accept any track - and be willing to switch tracks per scheduling/enrollment needs, etc. hence the term *year round schools.*

I'm not trying to be ugly, but if you believe in the concept - you have to be flexible with your track.

Hopefully folks will volunteer and all will end up OK.

Based on you OP, I gather you applied for YRS vs base school, am I correct??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Crap! We're assigned to Dillard. However, my son is only 2, so I'm counting on things to change in the next 10 years.

Middle school is tough. Something about boys going through puberty that makes them want to pound the crap out of everyone. I had bullies pound on me during class when the teacher would look the other way
I work in a public school and although I'm speaking for NY, they have started a trend here establishing 9th grade academies which I think is a fabulous idea. Maybe with the crowding issues and so much time being spent just getting students into classes (so less time to address behavior/gang problems), Raleigh should look into placing kids into individual grade based schools and then all the hormone behavior (and believe me, if you want a tough age, try working with 7th, 8th, 9th graders ) can be contained......

Old 03-26-2008, 06:23 PM

675 posts, read 2,684,750 times
I have searched in vain but cannot find the answer. If I have 2 kids, just one year apart in school, can a situation arise where one is accepted into YR and the other one is not? And if they both are accepted into YR, would there be a possibility that they would be put on different tracks? Thanks for any response.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:37 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Both of your children will be assigned to the same school either YR or traditional based on your address. Right now, if you are assigned YR and don't want YR, you can switch to traditional. If you are assigned to traditional and want YR, you must apply and may or may not get in. WCPSS tries very hard to make sure families with more than one child in YR school are on the same track, especially if they are in the same school level. It's HIGHLY unlikely they would not be.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:38 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
Is the bullying at the middle school level the "norm"???...does anyone out there have a positive middle school experience to share, specifically in WCPSS???? I can deal with year round schools and reassignments, but bullying should not be tolerated anywhere. Is there a zero tolerance policy in place?

Here you go- my son is at Heritage MS. I am not happy at all with the lack of a gifted program, but it is a safe, orderly school. They deal with troublemakers very well. The principal is "no nonsense", & the kids respect her. It is a weight off my shoulders to not worry about his safety there.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMom View Post
Its my theory that its not about growth at all. I think that's the koolaid they've been feeding everyone.

We've been looking at the mandatory year round conversions and they are not happening for reasons of overcrowding.

We have spreadsheets showing the Wake County schools that were converted in 2007-08 and their capacity and enrollment numbers for 2006-07, 2007-08, and planned numbers for 2008-09 (Copy of Converted Schools). Schools were converted in West/Southwest Wake County that are going to be way under capacity in the 2008-09 school year. Baucom Elementary in Apex has a capacity of 1035 and a projected enrollment of 757 (or 73.1% capacity) for the 2008-09 school year. Highcroft Elementary in Cary has a capacity of 1072 and a projected enrollment of 726 (or 67.7% capacity) for the 2008-09 school year. Holly Springs Elementary has a capacity of 1152 and a projected enrollment of 938 (or 81.4% capacity) for the 2008-09 school year.

I can't speak to all of the schools above, but I can address your information about Highcroft. Yes, for 2008-2009, Highcroft will not be at capacity. Highcroft was turned into a year round school for the 2007-2008 school year. I don't have the exact number of students at the school this year, but I can tell you that there are 11 kindergarten classes of approx. 19-23 students that are fitting into 7 kindergarten classrooms. The entire 4th grade is in trailers.

The reason Highcroft will be under capacity next year is that a large portion of the student body has been reassigned to the new Mills Park elementary school. This allows Highcroft the room that it needs to accomodate the new phase of the Highcroft subdivision that is being built (along with the new subdivisions being built in the area). They're actually planning ahead. The thing that everyone is asking them to do.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 PM

186 posts, read 659,715 times
This makes perfect sense. How can they add more classes to a crowded track? There are a finite number of classrooms. They need to add where there is capacity.

We decided six weeks ago which neighborhood our three kids will be living in starting next week. Can't blame the district for that. It's not new construction.

Principals decide the track assignments. Principals are in the business of making parents happy. It's a lot harder to argue with a mid-year transfer who is the one person at the front desk registering compared to a bunch of pieces of paper reviewed in mass in the winter/spring.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 PM

347 posts, read 934,128 times
"We have spreadsheets showing the Wake County schools that were converted in 2007-08 and their capacity and enrollment numbers for 2006-07, 2007-08, and planned numbers for 2008-09 (Copy of Converted Schools). Schools were converted in West/Southwest Wake County that are going to be way under capacity in the 2008-09 school year. Baucom Elementary in Apex has a capacity of 1035 and a projected enrollment of 757 (or 73.1% capacity) for the 2008-09 school year. Highcroft Elementary in Cary has a capacity of 1072 and a projected enrollment of 726 (or 67.7% capacity) for the 2008-09 school year. Holly Springs Elementary has a capacity of 1152 and a projected enrollment of 938 (or 81.4% capacity) for the 2008-09 school year."

If at any one time, 1/4 of the kids are out on break wouldnt this increase the capacity?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:35 PM

574 posts, read 1,209,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I work in a public school and although I'm speaking for NY, they have started a trend here establishing 9th grade academies which I think is a fabulous idea. Maybe with the crowding issues and so much time being spent just getting students into classes (so less time to address behavior/gang problems), Raleigh should look into placing kids into individual grade based schools and then all the hormone behavior (and believe me, if you want a tough age, try working with 7th, 8th, 9th graders ) can be contained......
I LOVE the idea of a separate 9th grade. I'd even like to see 6th back in elementary school and then 7th, 8th, & 9th together. Not a crowding comment, just agreeing with the maturity/hormone thing. They seem so young to be walking the halls with 17/18 year olds. Funny, 14 didn't seem all that young when I was that age....now they seem like babies.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
funny...I think (unfortunatly) it seems like the opposite. Many 14 year olds act and dress much "older" than they used to IMO. My daughter went to a school that was just 9th and 10th graders last year called Panther Creek, but it was only that way because it was a new school. I believe they have 9th-11th there now, and will have all 4 grades there next year. 9th grade centers are a good idea for overcrowding and I agree, for the social development of the teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary