Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 AM

748 posts, read 1,372,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would be very cautious about it quietstormnc. That really is how people get addicted. I have known several folks who had this happen. They sprained a wrist or ankle or had other pain problems and ended up having a really hard time getting off the pain-killers. Happened to my youngest kid's preschool teacher who was a lovely person, but had to quit the job. I also have a relative who was abused prescription pain meds for years after a botched surgery. She was hospitalized multiple times and every time, even though the doctors suspected what was going on, she would deny it and somehow end up with more meds. She's finally clean, now, thank goodness. Opiods scare me way too much to take them unless I am in the hospital or dying. We just took a bunch of expired meds to the police station for collection and I think some unused Vicodin was in there, either from my husband's eye surgery (talk about painful) or my root canal, which also woke me up in the middle of the night.
Thank you for your advice. i have taken hydrocodone three times before for other things and had absolutely no issues. That was three years ago (the last time i took it) and before that, its been ten years. I am not an addict and I do not have addictive habits. And I wouldnt post here about taking hydrocodone if I was heading in that direction. Again, thank you for your advice and I am always cautious when taking medication of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:41 AM

12,798 posts, read 16,259,097 times
I hope you didn't take offense. It just freaks me out because I have seen folks I know struggle with addiction to prescription painkillers.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:54 PM

748 posts, read 1,372,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I hope you didn't take offense. It just freaks me out because I have seen folks I know struggle with addiction to prescription painkillers.
It didnt freak me out at all. I work in the health care industry so I know alot about the problem with opiate addiction. It never really affected me directly till I hurt myself recently and, when I went to Urgent Care, the first words out of their mouth was "we have nothing stronger than tylenol for pain". Then I was told i didnt look like a "drug seeker". It has been an eye opening experience.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:14 PM

6,427 posts, read 9,758,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Getting 30 days worth of narcotics for a wrist sprain is why we are in this mess...

No one requires that much pain medication for a sprain....no one should require 30 days worth for a fracture.....
I didnt even get that many for actual surgery last week lol

Old 04-19-2018, 03:33 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,142,774 times
Doctors always try to give me opiates for pain. I must look like I won't take them, because... I won't take them.

No kidding. They make me nauseous.

I think the last time I broke down and took some was circa 1998 when I had a really bad toothache that wound up with me needing a root canal, but they could not determine the origin of the pain at first. Even then, I broke those pills in half (it was the lowest dose they made) and took half of one about 3 or 4 times.

That's just me. I really do feel gross with them. I tried to take one after my c-section (like the first day after I got home and was in some pretty bad pain) and I felt so queasy I called my doc to ask for some large ibuprofen and made do with them.

The only time I have ever liked an opiate was when I got morphine injections in the hospital following gallbladder surgery decades ago. They even asked me the day I was about to go home if I wanted my shot that morning and I refused it. I was sitting up all night, eating tapioca and watching reruns of Green Acres and thinking "so... this is how people get hooked on heroin."

Yeah... no thanks.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:03 PM

Yeah, that's more my experience, too, RZ.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,571,347 times
In general as long as you take them responsibility you won’t get addicted. It’s when you don’t truly need them and take them that you do. I’ve had multiple surgeries and I can always tell when to stop by when I start to feel stoned. When the pain is severe they just make you feel normal-ish but when the pain lessens you get the high feeling that I guess some people like. For me that’s when I know to try half the dose or switch to ibuprofen/Tylenol. I can also tell by how well I sleep or don’t sleep...if it wakes you up repeatedly and keeps you up it’s jsually time to cave and take the pain med.

Quietstorm, use caution but also don’t suffer if you don’t have to.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstormnc View Post
Then I was told i didnt look like a "drug seeker". It has been an eye opening experience.
That's a pretty poor attitude on the part of whoever told you that. I'm sure my relative, the middle class mom of three young kids, didn't look like a drug seeker either. She used to work in healthcare, too.

ANYONE can be addicted to pain meds. That's why the problem is so pervasive.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:30 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,889,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
In general as long as you take them responsibility you won’t get addicted. It’s when you don’t truly need them and take them that you do. I’ve had multiple surgeries and I can always tell when to stop by when I start to feel stoned. When the pain is severe they just make you feel normal-ish but when the pain lessens you get the high feeling that I guess some people like. For me that’s when I know to try half the dose or switch to ibuprofen/Tylenol. I can also tell by how well I sleep or don’t sleep...if it wakes you up repeatedly and keeps you up it’s jsually time to cave and take the pain med.

Quietstorm, use caution but also don’t suffer if you don’t have to.
I’ve had issues too, but use them responsibly. You have to know where to draw the line. I half doses as much as possible.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:29 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,475,457 times
Big trouble with opiates is that they wear out after a while and the patient tries to get more opiates or switch to illegal drugs such as heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary