Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Whoa - people with real money buy IKEA?
That's what I'm talking about. It's IKEA, not Sotheby's.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OberlinSouth View Post
I think the Top Golf ship has sailed. The Drive Shack is going in one exit north of Cary Towne Center, on the east side of 40. They're grading the site right now and will be open years ahead of what anyone could get through the Town of Cary.

IKEA was exciting because it was going to be a catalyst for the redevelopment of the mall. It's a huge chain, something we don't have in the Triangle, and a big enough tenant to cause CBL to redevelop the whole mall. But....

IKEA wasn't going to be a big draw for me personally. It was a regional retailer drawing traffic from miles around. I could do without a regional traffic draw at that spot.

I would have preferred Top Golf. IKEA was exciting because they were going to do something and anything is better than what they have now. It will be interesting to see where they go next. Fenton zoning is approved, Cary Commons (B&N site) was recently sold, and now the mall is a blank slate again. There's tons of potential in that area. I just hope something comes in before the next economic downturn so that it doesnt' remain derelect or get developed as a generic shopping center.

For those that think it was just "Cary", I really doubt it. This wasn't the first Triangle location IKEA seriously looked at. If they wanted Raleigh or Durham they could have had it. This feels like them passing on putting a big box in the Triangle region. Based on the articles it sounds like a smaller store closer to downtown Raleigh or Durham could be a more realistic future option.
This is why I was excited about it. Not because I really want or need an IKEA nearby. I have not set foot in one or bought from one in at least 8 years.

I was also concerned about the traffic and draw from all over the place. That particular intersection used to be terrible at the holidays when CTC was a busier mall, so I was picturing pretty much most weekends being like that during decent weather with an IKEA around.

I want the mall to be reworked. I really don't care a whole lot about an IKEA. I'd much rather a bunch of smaller shops with reliable client bases.

Something we don't have nearby, but people would shop at would be great.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,542,114 times
Antioch, TN and Marietta, GA should also worry; their stores were also due to open in 2020.

A quick review of the five US-drugstore-sized "IKEA order and collection points" in the UK & Ireland turns up:
- two urban locations, although with plenty of parking, in large metros with existing suburban stores (London & Birmingham)
- two suburban locations outside smaller cities that previously didn't have IKEAs (Norwich & Aberdeen)
- one suburban location, across town from an existing full-size IKEA (Dublin)

Canada's six "IKEA Pick-up and order points" are up to twice as large -- about the size of a small supermarket, from a Fresh Market on the small end (20,000 sq ft) to a Whole Foods Market on the large end (40,000 sq ft). They are all located in suburban locations, outside smaller cities in Ontario and Quebec. The most instructive one for the Triangle is the one located in Ontario's Tri-Cities, a collection of college towns about 60 miles outside Toronto, with a regional population of about 500,000. There, IKEA located in a Costco-anchored strip mall in the center of the region -- well away from the area's universities.

So, they're definitely using these new compact store formats to reach smaller metro areas, not necessarily "alpha" global cities, and to fit into strip malls where people are already shopping. Several of these have backfilled existing dark big boxes -- e.g., Birmingham was a Toys 'R' Us. So assuming they're still interested in the Triangle, and the "we will not be able to physically join the vibrant Cary community"* statement means not Cary, then... hmm, are there empty boxes on Glenwood or around Southpoint?

* Seems kinda weird to specify Cary, no?

Last edited by paytonc; 05-24-2018 at 12:42 AM..

Old 05-24-2018, 02:38 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is why I was excited about it. Not because I really want or need an IKEA nearby. I have not set foot in one or bought from one in at least 8 years.

I was also concerned about the traffic and draw from all over the place. That particular intersection used to be terrible at the holidays when CTC was a busier mall, so I was picturing pretty much most weekends being like that during decent weather with an IKEA around.

I want the mall to be reworked. I really don't care a whole lot about an IKEA. I'd much rather a bunch of smaller shops with reliable client bases.

Something we don't have nearby, but people would shop at would be great.
Agreed.
Couldn't care less about Ikea. Just want to see something better than CTC.

But, IMO, Ikea, while a much better use of the location than a Top Golf, certainly would isn't a visionary and forward-thinking "highest and best use" of the property by any means.

A more dynamic "Live, Work, Play" redevelopment would be much more appealing.
The Fenton may be a good model.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:33 AM

812 posts, read 831,940 times
Interesting that IKEA says they are going to focus more on urban centers because, presumably, that is where there target audience (millennials) is and this recent Chicago Tribune article explains that many millennials are being priced out of urban areas and are choosing to settle in more dense inner-ring suburban areas that blend some of the walkability, shorter commutes, amenities, and diversity or urban living with some of the increased space and affordable prices of suburban areas. Article calls it "surban"; particularly popular choice once they start to have families (which many now are). They can't afford downtown yet don't want to sprawl out to the fringes and live in a McMansion with long drive times everywhere -despite it being "affordable".

Chicagoland renters and buyers are itching for walkable suburbs. Enter 'surban.' - Chicago Tribune

My though, these young families are going to need lots of sturdy affordable furniture and storage solutions for their new digs - especially decking out the baby/child rooms.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Come again?

LOL. You say this like that location would not have pulled from several universities/colleges and as far off as the coast.

I doubt IKEA suddenly had some realization that nobody would come to the store.

I think they have taken another direction and if it's urban, global centers, Cary isn't that.

Nowhere in the Triangle is.
Exactly. And if, as the article mentioned, they make more stuff available online, that’s probably going to be a good strategy for them.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:24 AM

634 posts, read 912,940 times
How about, as part of mixed use, they locate a high school -> higher education crossover campus there?

Just asking.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:47 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Interesting that IKEA says they are going to focus more on urban centers because, presumably, that is where there target audience (millennials) is and this recent Chicago Tribune article explains that many millennials are being priced out of urban areas and are choosing to settle in more dense inner-ring suburban areas that blend some of the walkability, shorter commutes, amenities, and diversity or urban living with some of the increased space and affordable prices of suburban areas. Article calls it "surban"; particularly popular choice once they start to have families (which many now are). They can't afford downtown yet don't want to sprawl out to the fringes and live in a McMansion with long drive times everywhere -despite it being "affordable".

Chicagoland renters and buyers are itching for walkable suburbs. Enter 'surban.' - Chicago Tribune

My though, these young families are going to need lots of sturdy affordable furniture and storage solutions for their new digs - especially decking out the baby/child rooms.
How much of IKEA's business is in the US vs. Europe?

Old 05-24-2018, 06:59 AM

812 posts, read 831,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
How much of IKEA's business is in the US vs. Europe?
I see what you're saying but it's common to have totally different business strategies for different continents and not rare to have totally different, or at least significantly modified, business strategies for different regions w/in "a state".

Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
(Loosely translated)

IKEA: We’re a comin’ for ya!

Cary: YAAASSSSS!

IKEA: LOL, SIKE!

Cary: Yeah ..well ..nobody wants your crappy furniture anyway, so shove your meatballs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary