Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 01:22 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I think Ikea should have done something off of 40 in Johnston County and build up around that. Lots of land so the cost would be cheaper. It will draw in people from the Triangle, Wilmington, and all the cities between us. Probably even pull from SC as well since it's a few hours away. Once Ikea is there it would bring in a lot of other businesses like Top Golf or something similar. I'm not a developer so what do I know.
You know, I would have been in favor of that. Clayton or Smithfield location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Don't really understand the logic. For one, millennials still drive, we have to. The suburbs are growing faster than cities. Secondly, they just announced another Atlanta location in Marietta, which isn't as suburban as Cary, but it's still pretty urban-suburban. They also just opened locations in suburban Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Dallas, and as of now a suburban Nashville location is coming in 2020 that's been very hyped. I can't see them pulling out of that.

I don't feel like IKEA is about to completely abandoned the large stores like the media makes it sound. Maybe Cary just wasn't a fit.
Yeah the trends just don’t warrant changing their current approach. Something’s weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I want the mall to be reworked. I really don't care a whole lot about an IKEA. I'd much rather a bunch of smaller shops with reliable client bases.

Something we don't have nearby, but people would shop at would be great.
Hear! Hear!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
It costs a lot of money to have large stores. Real estate prices are headed up. I wonder if they are going to go to a small showroom, warehouse down the way with the most common stuff we sell type of model?

If so, those urban stores make more sense. You buy at the small showroom, and you pick it up nearby or have it delivered.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
It costs a lot of money to have large stores. Real estate prices are headed up. I wonder if they are going to go to a small showroom, warehouse down the way with the most common stuff we sell type of model?

If so, those urban stores make more sense. You buy at the small showroom, and you pick it up nearby or have it delivered.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Weren't people just complaining about it being blue? That sounds dumb. Could nimbys have possibly stuck their nose in it too much? Still seems weird for Cary to be told they don't want to go big, when they're still as of now going big.

I found an article about the smaller store approach, but it was from 2014. Since then they've opened at least 4-6 big box stores, with Marietta and Nashville still on the table. And they had a 2 million+ people metro "rule", but they still ended up building in Memphis and Jacksonville anyway.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they really do want to stop big box and go showroom - which would be disappointing - but I still feel like there's more to it than that. Who knows, maybe they cancel Marietta, maybe not, but I think Nashville is definitely happening.

Plus there's the fact that Charlotte is only 2 hours away. Part of the allure of IKEA is that they arent everywhere, like Mcdonalds and Starbucks. That could've been another reason. Maybe they want RDU to get bigger first. The Charlotte store already pulls from a wide area because Charlotte is so central.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
It's a definite shift in company strategy, not a made-up excuse. New CEO started in September, and they've been talking about the strategy shift since October-ish.

Don't know if it means all in-progress large suburban stores will be canceled or just scaling back that side of things, but will be interesting to see what happens with Nashville and Marietta.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Apparently they are coming to Norfolk too, which is 3 hours from Raleigh. And that one is for sure happening.

https://pilotonline.com/business/con...3801a2ff7.html

Maybe that was another factor? 2 hours from Charlotte and 3 from Norfolk, you don't really need a store in the middle, at least not right now. Charlotte already has much of the Carolinas covered, and Norfolk will grab coastal communities, Richmond, and much of Virginia that Raleigh could've tapped into.

Location is probably the biggest reason Memphis initially got it over Nashville. Allowed them to fill a giant gap in the deep south. Memphis is centrally located like Charlotte is to the Carolinas. Could be a strong reason for the Cary loss, imo.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
Quote:
Apparently they are coming to Norfolk too, which is 3 hours from Raleigh. And that one is for sure happening.

Maybe that was another factor? 2 hours from Charlotte and 3 from Norfolk, you don't really need a store in the middle, at least not right now. Charlotte already has much of the Carolinas covered, and Norfolk will grab coastal communities, Richmond, and much of Virginia that Raleigh could've tapped into.

Location is probably the biggest reason Memphis initially got it over Nashville. Allowed them to fill a giant gap in the deep south. Memphis is centrally located like Charlotte is to the Carolinas. Could be a strong reason for the Cary loss, imo.
Yeah, and eventually I-87 will link the Triangle more directly to the Norfolk area. It should have been built years ago, but oh well. I think I-87 will shave off 30min-1hr the time it takes to get from Raleigh to the Hampton Roads area when it gets finished.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:27 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Yeah, and eventually I-87 will link the Triangle more directly to the Norfolk area. It should have been built years ago, but oh well. I think I-87 will shave off 30min-1hr the time it takes to get from Raleigh to the Hampton Roads area when it gets finished.
I-95/US-58 is shorter, but at least I-87 avoids Virginia’s speed traps on US-58.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:59 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:

Yet there are TWO Ikeas in Dallas? Separated by just 30 min driving time?!?

Yeah not buying it. They got cold feet for whatever reason. Which is crazy, this place is perfect. Lots of transient families coming and coming, lots of college kids, a fairly young population...I don't get it. Best guess is the franchisee lost funding or something.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Sorry, Caryites. Although you may have a few bucks in the bank most in Cary don't. Why do you think the city of Raleigh won't sell you water? Same reason Ikea backed out. Because Cary is made up of borrowed money!

And this isn't an attack. Just the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary