Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 03:24 PM

85 posts, read 116,611 times

Advertisements

Move to RTP from Northern Virginia area but man i've been having difficulty liking this place. I live in Cary but it's just feels slow and nothing to see around. Took my wife to Raleigh downtown, she wanted to really see the downtown, HUGE disappointment it was. Didn't feel like a Downtown. I have also lived in Minneapolis for sometime and Minneapolis is just huge compared to Raleigh Downtown.... Wife's disappointed as well.

We would go back to Northern Virginia but not many Jobs for my field out there. There are lot of Jobs here though, that's the only thing keeping me here. Is Raleigh even Considered a City ? it looks smaller than Rochester, NY !

Cary Downtown was another disappointment, few auto repair shops and that's all !

Hope things change but so far i really have been disappointed. Wish there were some jobs in Northern Virginia area for me, i'd go back without thinking much even though it's slightly expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 03:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownguy View Post
Move to RTP from Northern Virginia area but man i've been having difficulty liking this place. I live in Cary but it's just feels slow and nothing to see around. Took my wife to Raleigh downtown, she wanted to really see the downtown, HUGE disappointment it was. Didn't feel like a Downtown. I have also lived in Minneapolis for sometime and Minneapolis is just huge compared to Raleigh Downtown.... Wife's disappointed as well.

We would go back to Northern Virginia but not many Jobs for my field out there. There are lot of Jobs here though, that's the only thing keeping me here. Is Raleigh even Considered a City ? it looks smaller than Rochester, NY !

Cary Downtown was another disappointment, few auto repair shops and that's all !

Hope things change but so far i really have been disappointed. Wish there were some jobs in Northern Virginia area for me, i'd go back without thinking much even though it's slightly expensive.
You did, like... come here before you moved here, right?

Because... all this stuff would be super easy to see with one's eyes on a weekend trip.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:34 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Yes. Raleigh is very suburban. It’s made worse by the fact that you live in Cary.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:37 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
You did, like... come here before you moved here, right?

Because... all this stuff would be super easy to see with one's eyes on a weekend trip.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

For the record OP, you didn't venture very far if all you saw was auto shops in DT Cary. But I can see how that could be a first impression.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:50 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
What do you do for a living that your only option is living here, and that you had to move here sight unseen? TOWN of Cary is a suburb. it's a large suburb, but it's a suburb. Raleigh is very suburban. This isn't the DC metro by any stretch.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownguy View Post

Person moves from 9th largest metro area in the country to the 50th... is shocked at the difference story at 11.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 PM

242 posts, read 150,168 times
I lived in Fairfax County and Herndon and my take on the area was strip malls and traffic and vast suburban wasteland. I would take Cary 10 times out of 10 over the Fairfax/Loudoun County area. But if hating on Cary DT for the last year gets it done for you, more power.

As far as culture and the like, there isn't going to be much comparison between DC and Raleigh, but the more and more I lived in NoVa and the further out I got pushed by cost... the less I was in DC dealing with the traffic and tourists.

I enjoy grabbing a beer or bite in downtown Cary. I like to go to Durham to watch the Bulls or go to DPAC, etc. I have gone to countless events, breweries, and eateries in and around Raleigh. Enjoy weekend trips to the mountains and coast. Enjoy the green areas around with the family.

But if you want to spend the majority of your posts calling downtown Cary a few garages then you either you aren't actually trying to acclimate or the area just isn't for you. So maybe find somewhere else to hate or hate less?

But for me, moving back to NoVa would be a nightmare. I have gained years of life by not sitting in DC traffic.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:01 PM

242 posts, read 150,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What do you do for a living that your only option is living here, and that you had to move here sight unseen? TOWN of Cary is a suburb. it's a large suburb, but it's a suburb. Raleigh is very suburban. This isn't the DC metro by any stretch.
I mean he lived in Chantilly, VA which is nothing but strip malls, highways, and houses. With a couple small office buildings scattered around. It is the epitome of a DC suburb with none of the actual culture of DC. I mean, it is beyond even the DC Metro line.

I lived there. Not a lot to write home about. Had he been in Arlington or Alexandria... ok. But Chantilly......

Old 04-19-2018, 04:33 PM

4,542 posts, read 3,741,311 times
Not to sound like a broken record, but please tell me you really did come here for AT LEAST a weekend, stayed in a hotel, and then drove around and just explored and pretend what things might be like for you. Why would anyone move without doing that? Did you just listen to the hype that Raleigh/Triangle is the place to move?

Maybe the place will grow on you?

But what do you do for a living? It is rare to hear that DC/NOVA doesn't have jobs but there are jobs in Raleigh.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times
I'm not sure what kind of replies you're expecting... Don't like it? Move. I'm also confused why you've only found about this after moving here. We moved from MD but never expected same downtown as Baltimore. I saw there was Trader Joe's and that was good enough for us. The key to happiness is low expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary