Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 12:00 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Large piping by the road today. Looks like underground water lines are being roughed in.

I pass it every day on the way to and from work. Lots of activity, I concur that we'll see foundation and walls going up before long. Having watched Costco go up on an almost daily basis, I'd say late summer 19 (about a year) sounds right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 12:40 PM

806 posts, read 603,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I pass it every day on the way to and from work. Lots of activity, I concur that we'll see foundation and walls going up before long. Having watched Costco go up on an almost daily basis, I'd say late summer 19 (about a year) sounds right.
Not too far off. Good to hear.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:12 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,540,830 times
Great story about Wegmans:

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...rs/1087100002/

Old 08-29-2018, 06:57 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I wonder if Wegman's is going to eventually be more prevalent throughout NC like Publix has become, or if its presence will be limited to a few scattered locations, most likely staying within the Triangle?
Wegman's is a destination grocer. Which is the reason why they take up a large footprint. Sometimes 3x the size of a regular grocery store. In the DC metro area, which has a higher population density than Raleigh, each Wegmans is at least 15-20 miles apart from the other. Also, they usually like to locate in the outer suburbs.

THere has been talk of them trying an urban prototype in DC, but that hasn't been solidified yet. As you can see in the rendering, they require a ton of surface parking. Which comes at a premium closer to urban centers.

Nevertheless, congrats! Wegmans is all it is hyped up to be. Great food, great prices. And enough selection for a wide variety of cultures and tastes.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:14 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wegman's is a destination grocer. Which is the reason why they take up a large footprint. Sometimes 3x the size of a regular grocery store. In the DC metro area, which has a higher population density than Raleigh, each Wegmans is at least 15-20 miles apart from the other. Also, they usually like to locate in the outer suburbs.
Leesburg and Sterling are less than 10 miles apart, but I think they're definitely the two that are closest together in the area.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:16 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post

THere has been talk of them trying an urban prototype in DC, but that hasn't been solidified yet. As you can see in the rendering, they require a ton of surface parking. Which comes at a premium closer to urban centers.

Nevertheless, congrats! Wegmans is all it is hyped up to be. Great food, great prices. And enough selection for a wide variety of cultures and tastes.
I lived in Fredericksburg, VA, where they opened a Wegmans years ago. The parking lot was absolutely enormous! So, I'm glad to hear they are including a parking deck to handle up to 700 vehicles. That should help maximize the space for what they are calling Midtown East.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...209469379.html

Old 08-29-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I lived in Fredericksburg, VA, where they opened a Wegmans years ago. The parking lot was absolutely enormous! So, I'm glad to hear they are including a parking deck to handle up to 700 vehicles. That should help maximize the space for what they are calling Midtown East.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...209469379.html
Awesome about the parking deck!

One of my favorite items from Wegmans is their basting oil. You don't even have to season meats if you cook with it. Use their basting oil and the meat comes out with great taste without adding anything but the oil.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,131 times
There's a lot to like about Wegman's. Harris Teeter does pretty well with their lunch-time offerings, but Wegmans makes them look like a food truck.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:39 AM

205 posts, read 182,432 times
All I can think about is how much of that prepared food goes to waste every day.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
All I can think about is how much of that prepared food goes to waste every day.
I worked in one of the food halls when I was a student at Virginia Tech. We threw whole industrial sized trays of food in the garbage. I was sickened by it because myself and other students I knew couldn't afford a meal plan one semester.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 08-29-2018 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary