Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,539,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The benefits package is crappy and costs a lot of money... and the retirement is a required percentage
I don't disagree with many of your points, but the benefits package is actually quite generous if you're single. $25 a month for a 70/30 plan, while not that great, is only costing you $300 a year. Now if you have to add your family to that then yes, it gets quite expensive ($600+ for a 70/30 plan per month)

The pension is actually quite good too. Although they need to put in 6% of their salary per month, they get 54.6% percent of the average of their annual highest 4-year period of salary if they retire at 30 years. Add an extra 1.82% per year over 30 years service.

A teacher making $60k a year for the 4 years before retirement and retires with 30 years of state service receives $2,730 a month. That combined with social security gives them essentially the exact same pay they were making at retirement, for the rest of their lives. If they also decide to put some away in a 403b or IRA then all the better.

It's not a golden parachute, but they won't be living in poverty either.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:30 AM

422 posts, read 459,548 times
Interesting conversation. In full disclosure, I've only put our child in public school for one year, and put him back into private school after that, lots of reasons for that that are not relevant to the conversation.

I actually think teachers are by in large under-paid, and under-appreciated, especially for the crappy parents they have to deal with on a day to day basis. You can easily make $100k a year currently in construction in the Raleigh area, why would you want to make $40k a year teaching.

However, my biggest fundamental objection to teacher pay, is that they appear to determine pay based mostly upon years of experience. We have all met all star teachers in the late 20s, and horrible (should have been fired decades ago) teachers in the 50s. I could never work in an industry, where effort and ability were not rewarded. The awesome teacher working 60 hour weeks, makes the same amount as one doing the absolute bare minimum to get by.

Hardly seems like a system set-up to reward effort and innovation.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:41 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,230,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Health benefits for teachers suck.

Unless they are retirees, in which case I agree that benefits for retirees are nice. If you don't mind making low wages all your career to get them.
Health benefits in the private sector suck. As I mentioned above, we pay over 1k/mo for a family plan with I believe a 1500/person deductible. Yes there are companies that do much better than that, but it's certainly not the norm, and becoming more and more rare.

Up until 10 years ago or so, I never had a health insurance deductible. I don't remember it ever being a thing. A lot has changed on that front - but that's not relevant here.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:47 AM

22,651 posts, read 36,651,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
And that doesn't even include the full benefit package. Nobody, I mean NOBODY in the private sector gets a pension anymore. .
I get a pension (ducks and runs).

In all seriousness a pension of any amount is nothing to sneeze at. A couple thousand a month just for waking up every day is pretty nice. My dad's is about $3000 a month, that's MORE than enough for them to live off of, and he socked it away in his 401K too. As with any profession, you either plan for your retirement or you don't it's up to you. And that includes your own saving, whether you own a house and choose to pay it off or use it as an ATM and so on. But the pension is nice.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:07 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,261,661 times
Quote:
Nobody, I mean NOBODY in the private sector gets a pension anymore.
False. (They are going away, but they still exist. Ask me how I know.)

Old 05-09-2018, 11:13 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,230,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
False. (They are going away, but they still exist. Ask me how I know.)
It was an obvious generalization - they're extremely rare especially if you aren't grandfathered in.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:17 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,160,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't disagree with many of your points, but the benefits package is actually quite generous if you're single. $25 a month for a 70/30 plan, while not that great, is only costing you $300 a year. Now if you have to add your family to that then yes, it gets quite expensive ($600+ for a 70/30 plan per month)

The pension is actually quite good too. Although they need to put in 6% of their salary per month, they get 54.6% percent of the average of their annual highest 4-year period of salary if they retire at 30 years. Add an extra 1.82% per year over 30 years service.

A teacher making $60k a year for the 4 years before retirement and retires with 30 years of state service receives $2,730 a month. That combined with social security gives them essentially the exact same pay they were making at retirement, for the rest of their lives. If they also decide to put some away in a 403b or IRA then all the better.

It's not a golden parachute, but they won't be living in poverty either.
Most teachers don't stay single for all their lives. Many love kids and have families. It's not a good package for a family and pretty much requires that a spouse have a better job and better benefits.

So, I agree that it's good for retirees, but not for anyone else unless they're young, unmarried, and living with roommates or at home with their parents while they pay off school loans or what have you.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
Interesting conversation. In full disclosure, I've only put our child in public school for one year, and put him back into private school after that, lots of reasons for that that are not relevant to the conversation.

I actually think teachers are by in large under-paid, and under-appreciated, especially for the crappy parents they have to deal with on a day to day basis. You can easily make $100k a year currently in construction in the Raleigh area, why would you want to make $40k a year teaching.

However, my biggest fundamental objection to teacher pay, is that they appear to determine pay based mostly upon years of experience. We have all met all star teachers in the late 20s, and horrible (should have been fired decades ago) teachers in the 50s. I could never work in an industry, where effort and ability were not rewarded. The awesome teacher working 60 hour weeks, makes the same amount as one doing the absolute bare minimum to get by.

Hardly seems like a system set-up to reward effort and innovation.
I think it is hard to measure teacher pay by performance unless you are measuring growth and not test scores.

I could totally get behind a mix of longevity and pay for performance if it was based on growth and not test scores.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Health benefits in the private sector suck. As I mentioned above, we pay over 1k/mo for a family plan with I believe a 1500/person deductible. Yes there are companies that do much better than that, but it's certainly not the norm, and becoming more and more rare.

Up until 10 years ago or so, I never had a health insurance deductible. I don't remember it ever being a thing. A lot has changed on that front - but that's not relevant here.
That is true for some private sector health benefits, absolutely. But, not all. So, if a person wants better benefits, they can shop elsewhere for a job with a company that has them. Public school teachers have to move to get better.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I get a pension (ducks and runs).

In all seriousness a pension of any amount is nothing to sneeze at. A couple thousand a month just for waking up every day is pretty nice. My dad's is about $3000 a month, that's MORE than enough for them to live off of, and he socked it away in his 401K too. As with any profession, you either plan for your retirement or you don't it's up to you. And that includes your own saving, whether you own a house and choose to pay it off or use it as an ATM and so on. But the pension is nice.
I have had a private sector job that had a pension, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary