Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
He's MIA. Not sure if he bailed on the industry or what but he stopped returning peoples' calls, lot of complaints about that more recently. Not gonna comment on his work because I never had a chance to use him.
He has not bailed on the industry and hasn't stopped returning calls. He is a one man band, so to say. He just texted me back and said he is simply overwhelmed and is trying to return every call/text he can. Y'all had me concerned about him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 10:28 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Yeah, I'm glad to hear Justin is OK. Thanks for the update.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Maximum Mechanical in Cary.
Heating & Cooling | Cary, North Carolina | Maximum Mechanical

Kit Ralph is a wizard with tech specs and installation design.
^^ Agree and second!

Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Just this morning I signed a contract for a replacement heat pump system. This includes the outdoor unit (compressor), indoor unit (air handler), and digital thermostat.

Equipment manufacturer = Lennox.

System capacity = 4 tons.

SEER rating = 15.

Vendor = Service Experts. I've had good experience with them.

Contract price = $7500.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:59 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
Just this morning I signed a contract for a replacement heat pump system. This includes the outdoor unit (compressor), indoor unit (air handler), and digital thermostat.

Equipment manufacturer = Lennox.

System capacity = 4 tons.

SEER rating = 15.

Vendor = Service Experts. I've had good experience with them.

Contract price = $7500.

4 ton Lennox 15CHPX packaged heat pump: $4,759

And they'll do it in a day. I really don't understand how the markup gets this high on these things, it's not lack of competitors, more like price fixing!

Old 05-15-2018, 04:00 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrunner77 View Post
Per Wikipedia:

The parent company of Goodman is Daikin Group (Osaka, Japan) and they also make Amana HVAC units. US HQ in Houston, TX.

Parent company of Trane is Ingersoll Rand (Ireland) and they also make American Standard HVAC units. US Operational HQ in Davidson, NC.

Parent company of Carrier is United Technologies Corporation (Farmington, CT) and they also make Bryant HVAC units. US HVAC HQ in Indianapolis, IN (residential units) and Charlotte, NC (commercial units).
Glad someone else put the truth out there and saved me the trouble.

As far as who is better, it’s hard to say. Outliers on both ends of the spectrum will happen with any unit. However, when I run across a unit that is say 20 or even 30 years old and still going strong (seemingly at least) it’s not too often that unit is a Goodman. Odds are it is a Carrier or maybe Trane. They definitely outnumber Goodmans I see of similar age. Could just be that those others were more popular back then and it’s just the percentages working out.

Of course now, Goodman predominates on the national builder side of things. Since these companies tend to want to cut costs where they can and don’t have to warrant the HVAC for years, just the 1 year warranty period, that might say something, at least about their costs. Maybe it’s possible to make a unit just as good for less money and maybe that’s due to the structure of their sales organizations alone (see below) and not the quality of contruction and engineering.

Goodman makes decent stuff overall from what I can see. But, let me add, the installation is as much of how long a unit will last and perform as anything. Carrier, Trane, Lennox, etc control who can buy their units through a dealer and distributor system. They have certain standards on training of the companies that represent and install their systems. Goodman on the other hand will sell to anyone. In fact, any of us on this board can go buy Goodman equipment right now, on the Internet. I don’t know for sure, but maybe Goodman’s way adds less cost into the price. However, because it is less controlled, lots of less than careful and less trained people are installing Goodman than the bigger brands.

When you get prices, ask the companies to double check their calculations and if there are any special considerations for your install. Like the way the ducts are installed. Was the previous system over or undersized. Maybe it’s a tighter location physically and certain units might fit better and still perform. Whatever, make sure they have thought it through. And ask how they came up with their sizing.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,587,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
4 ton Lennox 15CHPX packaged heat pump: $4,759

And they'll do it in a day. I really don't understand how the markup gets this high on these things, it's not lack of competitors, more like price fixing!
I signed a contract and will abide by it. A deal's a deal.

However, you said "they'll do it in a day." For the benefit of other homeowners, please say WHO will deliver and install this package for such a low price.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:25 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbmartin View Post
I signed a contract and will abide by it. A deal's a deal.

However, you said "they'll do it in a day." For the benefit of other homeowners, please say WHO will deliver and install this package for such a low price.

That's the price you can purchase that online for, even after the markup from the wholesaler. My point is the install costs on these things are outrageous.

But ultimately consumers have the EPA to blame for making HVAC so expensive. Sears used to have homeowner installed central AC systems, plug 'n play.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-16-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 01:25 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
I agree markup on install is insane. I believe these units costs around $2000 retail. Then with install it comes to $5000+. Are these really that hard to install ourselves? Not a simple Lowes DIY job? LOL

Old 05-16-2018, 01:38 PM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I agree markup on install is insane. I believe these units costs around $2000 retail. Then with install it comes to $5000+. Are these really that hard to install ourselves? Not a simple Lowes DIY job? LOL
I wonder if the fact that many people on here seem to have/recommend "a guy" vs a larger company speaks to the poor experience/value/reputation many of the "larger companies" have.

We replaced our system last year.

Manufacturer = Carrier (outside compressor unit and inside condenser)

Capacity = 3 Ton

Efficiency = 14 SEER

Total Cost w/ install = $3200

Vendor = Environmental Heating and Air
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary