Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:41 PM

31 posts, read 92,714 times

Advertisements

With all the talk of WCPSS reassignments and snakes, the "outsiders" are feeling like you want us to stay that way!

SERIOUSLY, does anyone have any positive stories about the Wake Schools? Can you put your children in a school with any security?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
2 kids over 8 years and we've never been reassigned. I don't expect to either. We love our school, high FNR numbers, bussed kids, neighborhood kids and all. Reassignment is really not something I worry about.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
With all the talk of WCPSS reassignments and snakes, the "outsiders" are feeling like you want us to stay that way!

SERIOUSLY, does anyone have any positive stories about the Wake Schools? Can you put your children in a school with any security?
My neighborhood was reassigned to year round.
Out of 120 homes, a total of about 8-10 sets of residents/parents turned out to a well-publicized evening meeting.
I was one of them, there out of curiosity, as I have no kids.
It didn't look like an uprising to me.

Don't let negativity from a handful form your entire perspective on Wake County.
Most folks just raise families, have birthday parties, send their kids to school and generally live life.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 PM

906 posts, read 2,378,554 times
We haven't been reassigned yet, but it can happen. We moved here in 1998 when our oldest was 9 mo old and honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would not move to Wake County. I would seriously consider Chapel Hill, Durham or Johnston County. I love this area, but the schools just haven't lived up to the hype.

For me its not just the reassignments, its the incredible lack of equity in the programs available to students. For example, you can easily be reassigned from a middle school that offers 2 foreign languages to one that offers none at all. And WCPSS does not care. I'm just so disillusioned with this system and if it weren't for the bad housing market and the fact that we just built our house 4 years ago, we would move out of the county. Depending on what happens when my boys get to middle school and high school, we may leave. Right now we are zoned for a decent ms and hs but its really a crap shoot.

Some people say to just move to an established area and you won't be moved. You do have a better chance of not getting reassigned, but don't count on it. A bunch of 20 year old neighborhoods got reassigned out of their school for this year, while my 5 year old neighborhood got to stay at that same school. It was done for diversity reasons.

I have a blog called Voice for Equity in Wake Education that addresses many of these issues. I can't post a link, but I have a link to it in my profile or you can google it. The schools themselves aren't awful (we've had good experiences with the teachers and principals so far), but the system itself is headed down the wrong path. Academics are not the #1 priority.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 PM

836 posts, read 3,465,100 times
Quote:
Don't let negativity from a handful form your entire perspective on Wake County.
Most folks just raise families, have birthday parties, send their kids to school and generally live life.
I agree. Just like I only hear people complain on this forum about how mean "we" are to transplants (I am a transplant and so is my husband...been here since the 80's) and not in real life, I think the majority of people with kids in Wake County schools are very happy. I know I am...three kids in elementary school right now...love our school, our teachers, our principal. Is our school busting at the seams...yes. Are there lots of F&R kids at my school...yes, and I still love it. The parents work together to support the school, the teachers and the F&R kids and their families. I am perfectly happy and so are my kids. We have not been reassigned yet, as we live in an established neighborhood, not a high growth area, but I guess there is always the chance. As others have said, I remember getting reassigned, with the rest of my neighorhood, when I went to middle school....and I am 48. I don't remember my parents going ballistic, although I do recall that the new school was farther from our house than the school my older brother had gone to for middle school originally. So, I didn't think much about it....just went!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM

132 posts, read 445,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post

Reassignments are happening due to a tremendous influx of people (people like us and you if you decide to move here) into this area causing the schools to bust at the seems in terms of capacity. This is being addressed by planning for new school construction and the associated reassignment from the schools which are hitting the enrollment limits. So yes there might be a minor one off inconvenience. Don't think this is going to be as bad as being projected Wake county schools are GREAT as far as we are concerned given the really low standards of schools from where we came.

We are eagerly waiting to make our first acquaintance with a slippery one having moved in a few months back Will update you with sighting scoreboard a few months later again to see if it is that big a deal or not

Old 03-27-2008, 04:35 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,822,174 times
I went my entire school career with not being reassigned, and so have all 3 of my kids (Holly Springs Schools for them over a 5 year period)

Old 03-27-2008, 04:54 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times
Raleigh is in the top 5 % wise of growth per the census data released this week. People aren't being scared off much.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:09 PM

353 posts, read 994,155 times
I lived in Raleigh from 2003 until 2007 -- sold our house before the market kinda "tanked", and couldn't be happier to have left.

WCPSS bureaucracy is a JOKE, diversity trumps academics, and their much touted "equal education for all" is an outright LIE. Ask the parents of kids who aren't lucky enough to be chosen via the magnet "lottery". Ask the parents who want foreign language or band, and are told tough tooshie. Ask the parents who would LOVE to be on the year round schedule, and are denied, even though some schools are UNDER enrollment, while other parents are forced to go year-round against THEIR wishes and what's best for THEIR family.

My NY self simply didn't have the patience to deal with such patented stupidity and ostrich-ness (put your head in the sand, and the problems will go away).

I would NEVER go back to Wake.

And in my humble opinion, anyone who does an IOTA of research on WCPSS and STILL chooses Wake for his/her children, deserves what s/he gets. Period. Not even gonna pretend to sugar-coat it.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Three kids that have graduated from Wake County schools...last one in High School. We were re assigned when kid #2 started middle school and re assigned back to middle school when kid #4 started.

Its the same ole same ole...only the complainers complain! Those that are happy and satisfied just have no reason to keep telling you how great this or that is!

Until you get here and check out the area, please don't listen to ANYONE'S opinion. Go to Wake County Public Schools, check out the schools and let someone who is in the know explain their policies to you.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary