Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:32 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Did anyone think to mention the extraterrestrials that land here from time to time?

In the words of tweety bird....I did I did see an extra-terrestrial on the South Shore of Falls Lake!!!! Some say they were just 'Testing the Water' or 'Drying out their web feet maybe'.....lol Sorry Its Friday!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:37 PM

31 posts, read 92,759 times
Default OK....jokes on me!

Thank you all for your honest (and amusing) feedback...... No matter what I read, I know well enough that a child's upbringing is in the parents hands and a parents hand in education can overcome any situation.

As for the snakes..........hopefully we will keep our mutual distance!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:52 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post
Thank you all for your honest (and amusing) feedback...... No matter what I read, I know well enough that a child's upbringing is in the parents hands and a parents hand in education can overcome any situation.

As for the snakes..........hopefully we will keep our mutual distance!
You are absolutely right about your children. They be fine no matter where you put them because you care. Now, it might drive you crazy (not just WCPSS but other places too) but I guess that's why there are therapists and City Data folks to listen to each other vent.

I'm glad you saw that our snake and alien jokes are just in good fun... I think we all have Spring Fever here in NC. I grew up in NC with the snakes (left for a long time) and still get the willies when I see one. So far we've been back 8 months and I haven't seen one yet. But I know my day is coming. I just hope I don't squeal too much like a little girl.... my son would love holding that over my head.

Now for the aliens.... I'd really like to see one of those!! If word gets out about sightings this area might have a new industry.... ET Tourism!! We'll give Roswell a run for it's money.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:13 PM

Default My efforts with the school board......

I mentioned in an earlier post that I called four of the school board members for WCPSS.......two have now called me back personally. The gave me good feedback, but neither could re-assure me of anything stable......just "how to play the game".

Old 03-28-2008, 02:55 PM

615 posts, read 1,502,889 times
What ironic is...we were talked INTO moving to the Raleigh area mostly by reading the posts on this forum..and similar forums 1 year ago.

But I will admit that the posts about Wake County schools/Wake County home prices deterred us from moving there and INTO Johnston County instead. I am a teacher and the year-round school schedule did not thrill me(or our 10 yr old)...along with the redistricting issues they have there. And when we found out we could get the same home for 100,000 less in Johnston Co., it sort of sealed the deal for us. I also think I got a job quicker in Johnston County because so many people flock to Wake.

But as for everything else you mentioned...friendliness of the people(EVERYONE had been wonderful here...plus 1/2 the people we meet are transplants themselves), the weather(gorgeous compared to the N.E.)..and we've seen more snakes in Southern NJ, where we are from, than here.(We have not seen one here)...so I don't know where that is coming from at all.

Don't let the random negative comment deter your overall decision.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:13 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Quote:
just "how to play the game".
Kim, do you mind sharing what advice they had on this?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM

Default Advice from the "board" of WCPSS

I will share what they have said:

While the two that called me back both indicated "nowhere is safe from reassignment", they recommended a few things.

1-Established areas with no room for more growth or development are less likely to have reassignment due to overcrowding. Area's with lots of new housing and development going in cause overcrowding of current schools, the need to build new schools and ultimately reassignment of students. (there is still the issue of leveling the socio-economic make up of schools).

2-They referred to something called "nodes", areas where reassignment is being implemented each year. You can find which nodes are being reassigned each year on the WCPSS website. They have a standing 3 year rule; no more than 1 reassignment in a 3 year period. So if a node is reassigned this year, it shouldn't be for another 3 years. (A short term form of stability). (again, still the issue of socio-economic leveling).

3-They are planning to, or already have posted on the website the future reassignment plans. They have forecasted the reassignments up to three years out so you can tell over the next three years which nodes are due for reassignment.

I am understanding two major problems facing the district, one of their own doing and one they can't avoid.

Crowding due to the influx of people is a problem they can't avoid.

Reassigning to "level out" the socio-economic make up of schools is the problem they are bringing upon themselves.

I am holding my personal comments on this and trying to give you what I have learned in my research so far..........

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Mauch View Post

I am understanding two major problems facing the district, one of their own doing and one they can't avoid.

Crowding due to the influx of people is a problem they can't avoid.

Reassigning to "level out" the socio-economic make up of schools is the problem they are bringing upon themselves.

I am holding my personal comments on this and trying to give you what I have learned in my research so far..........
I believe you hit the nail on the head.

If WCPSS reassigned based on the first criteria (criterion?), then kids closest to the new school would be assigned to that school. Others would be left in the existing school. No shifting kids in and out to level out some socioenconomic playing field.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 AM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Kim--they are working on that "3 year plan" and it should be out soon I think. The other stuff they told you is pretty much what I thought it would be. General rules, but no guarantees. I am very glad that they were forthright with you on the 'no guarantees' part.

You're right about there being two reason for reassignments--one under their control and one not. Most of the reassignment complaints come in when people aren't being reassigned due to growth.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:05 AM

Default Question I still have........

If I buy a house in a "nicer" area, say Apex, Cary, Holly Springs, Wake Forest.....basically outside the inner City limits and my children get reassigned.....do I end up going to another "nicer" area, or end up in the lower income schools to fill the spots that they pulled those students to take my childs spot? (am I asking this the right way?)

PLEASE don't take this as a cut low to any person, class or race....just a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary