Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:30 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,232,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
That’s not how it works. You wouldn’t say I pay the grocers property taxes when I buy groceries
Sure I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 PM

626 posts, read 623,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Undocumented workers pay rent to a landlord who passes along their property tax burden to the tenant. This narrative that "illegals" rape the system and don't contribute is factually incorrect.
It has been proven time and time again that Illegals take more than they give in every state. So yes they might pay something but its nothing compared to what they take.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvarghese84 View Post
Read about farmers in CA and NC who cannot find enough labor to harvest their crops. Unemployment rate is below 4%...there arent many people looking for jobs and if they are Im sure theyve got a lot of options to find work. But if your friends are still struggling Im sure those farmers would love to have them.
Farmers have got used to migrant workers and paying crap wages for decades, even being to picky not to hire citizens but preferable Illegals.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
I am an economist who does health care research at a major university in the state. Undocumented immigrants do pay for their healthcare, through the income, property, and sales taxes that they pay. So no, they don't get their healthcare for free. Funny how the GOP only worries about the debt when Dems are in leadership. I wonder when Fox Business will get around to writing an article about the annual trillion dollar plus deficits that are being projected thanks to the recent Trump/GOP tax cuts that overwhelmingly went to corporations and the richest few.
So why is it that every study they have done shows that Illegals take more than they pay into the system.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I thought I read in the WSJ that California has a budget surplus?
Yes, they have a budget surplus this year. But they will always find ways to spend that money instead of paying down their pension debt or actually fixing their infrastructure.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:
That’s not how it works. You wouldn’t say I pay the grocers property taxes when I buy groceries
I would.

If you were to triple their property taxes you'd see prices increase across the board.

Taxes on businesses in general are always paid by the consumer in one way or another.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,963,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I would.

If you were to triple their property taxes you'd see prices increase across the board.

Taxes on businesses in general are always paid by the consumer in one way or another.
It’s a silly conception it’s just the difference between gross vs net income.

I’m paying for groceries not your property taxes or lights

Old 05-25-2018, 08:50 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,232,899 times
Quote:

And a business isn't going to take a loss in net income. If expenses go up, it gets passed on to the consumer (until the consumer decides not to shop there anymore). This is basic stuff isn't it?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 PM

1,734 posts, read 2,563,330 times
Quote:

Where do you think the money comes from that pays for the property taxes and lights ----- and every
other expense that a business has ? Who else but the consumer ?
I don't see why some people just don't understand this.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,381,906 times
Quote:

Your view is a basic, low level thought.

Yes, it's true, you are solely paying for the groceries.

However the "big picture" view is those groceries go toward paying the expenses of the business. Could be taxes, the cost of product, labor, anything and everything.

When expenses go up, so do prices. This is literally the definition of inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary