Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 05:56 PM

91 posts, read 78,229 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was recommended by contractor to replace old gas furnace with Trane heat pump. Technology has changed since 80's and 90's. So if anyone just recently installed Trane heat pump, please share with me your knowledge and suggestion. I am looking for 2 tons split units, heat pump with 1 stage or 2 stage or variable speed. it is for second floor with 950 square feet. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:08 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,362,877 times
For our winter temps definitely keep a furnace. There are heat pumps that integrate with a furnace below a certain temp. Best of both worlds.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,571,489 times
We have both scenarios at our house based on the floor. I prefer the gas heat, if both floors are 72, the one with gas heat feels warmer. I am not sure why that is, could just be my bias?

Old 05-28-2018, 06:54 AM

91 posts, read 78,229 times
if you have heat pump, was your heat pump maintain temp around 69-70 from the last winter 2017-2018? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:05 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,595,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
if you have heat pump, was your heat pump maintain temp around 69-70 from the last winter 2017-2018? Thanks.
A heat pump can maintain those temperatures, but if it's cold enough outside you'll be on the backup electric heat and it will be EXPENSIVE. The backup electric heat will also kick in if you change the thermostat more than a couple of degrees. For this reason, it's usually better to keep the thermostat on one temperature throughout the day/night. Heat pumps are great for hot weather, not so great for cold.

While we aren't as cold as Colorado, this is a good explanation:

https://plumblineservices.com/help-g...-cold-climates

When we had that long cold snap here this past winter where it was below freezing for many days, the backup electric heat would have been on the whole time.

Having had both, I would never EVER trade my gas furnace for a heat pump if I lived in a place with cold winters! I might consider a dual fuel system (heat pump with gas furnace backup), but never an all electric system.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,807,561 times
Ask that contractor to provide you payback calculations for a predicted-15 year lifetime, using current utility costs, (or future predicted costs from an independent and credible source), for:
1) current Gas+DX system replaced as-is, or
2) conversion to all-electric heat pump. (and if they also wish, 3) gas+heat pump).

All replacement Gas and DX systems should be selected for current high efficiency numbers, (IE: don't let him compare an in-kind replacement that has 20 year old lower efficiency with new equipment that has current high efficiencies). Don't accept bottom-line numbers, make sure you see all the math and equipment spec sheets (showing efficiency numbers).

A few years ago, when electricity was a 'bit' cheaper than gas, and for this climate zone, Gas+DX typically had a larger first cost that E+HP, but used less utilities, and would pay back over the 15-year average lifespan, so the deciding point was who was paying for the replacement. Developers making cheap houses would go all-electric, but high end houses and homeowners who already had gas available would find Gas+DX to be the best, overall.

However, now that gas costs have dropped a lot, and with fracking it's predicted to continue to fall.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:12 AM

36 posts, read 36,778 times
heat pumps are fine if you don't mind having cool air blow on you all winter or have the backup heat kick in and drive your power bill way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary