U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 10:15 AM

87 posts, read 320,878 times

Advertisements

Does the triangle suffer from Mold and Mildew like the Northeast??? As I am planning a move there I am concerned...Mold and mildew by coastal areas horrible and my allergies off the charts...being triangle drier (per say) is it better there? Please let me know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM

34,318 posts, read 59,648,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReniHope View Post
Does the triangle suffer from Mold and Mildew like the Northeast??? As I am planning a move there I am concerned...Mold and mildew by coastal areas horrible and my allergies off the charts...being triangle drier (per say) is it better there? Please let me know...
We have humidity. May not be as bad as coastal humidity, but we have it. So, yes, we definitely have the potential for mold and mildew issues.

You will do well to get into housing that is "high and dry," i.e., not in a dampish low-lying wooded area without air movement.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:15 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,505,796 times
Reni, I don't seem to suffer as much with mold and mildew here in the Triangle. I stayed sick, it seemed, down in Wilmington. It does get humid here, but not nearly as humid, of course, as the coast.

My allergist suggested I keep a spray bottle with a low % Clorox and water in the shower, and spray the tile down when I was ready to emerge from it, and dry off. It does make a difference. That, and be sure you have some good ventilation in the house. Our ceiling fans run constantly.

Open the vents under your place, too, during the spring and summer months, if you have them.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Air

150 posts, read 498,766 times
I had a lot of problems in the Triangle with mold. It was really heartbreaking because otherwise we felt like we had found home, but the health risks because of asthma attacks we had were too great. It is one thing if you can control it in your own home, but what do you do when you visit someone or go to a store that has it.

By the way, chlorine bleach is not a good idea, as per the Dept of Health. It actually causes the spores to disperse and spread. They recommend hot water and soap and scrubbing. For the shower, dry the tiles with the towel you just used.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM

3,901 posts, read 9,662,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Open the vents under your place, too, during the spring and summer months, if you have them.
You can actually increase the possibility for mold/mildew by leaving foundation vents open during the warm months. In our area, we have a high humidity content in the air. What happens is; The humid air is pulled into the crawlspace due to air pressure differential. The humidity proceeds to condense on cool surfaces like your plumbing lines and HVAC ductwork greatly increasing the moisture content in your crawlspace and therefore, improving the environment for anything that depends on moisture to thrive like mold/mildew.
With that said, I personally believe the mold/mildew issue is a bit overblown but there is not much to lose by being proactive in keeping it away (excluding installing expensive mitigation from one of these companies that would sell waterproofing to someone living in the Arizona desert region lol)

Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 PM

87 posts, read 320,878 times
I guess I'm wondering if Mold and Mildew is a bigger or smaller problem in NC then up here in the Northeast...I can deal with for a period of time (like a season) but not to long...I thought maybe living not so close to the water and AC might help down there.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM

41 posts, read 128,470 times
i don't know anything about the area, i do know that mold and mildew put me in the hospital, i now i often have asthma attacks, i break out in rashes. so, please check real good before you move. if you are not allergic to bleach it will help you in cleaning out your new place. just be careful.

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 03-28-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: not a good idea to post that see TOS why

Old 03-28-2008, 03:40 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,505,796 times
Interesting info about the vents under the house, and mildew and mold. Maybe it has worked for me because I am on a crawlspace almost tall enough for me to stand in, and we have excellent ventilation under the house?

As for the bleach in a spray bottle, it is such a small % until I hardly smell the solution. I have done this for years, upon the recommendation of my allergist. I know a lot of bleach is not good for you, but I've never had any adverse reactions to spraying down the shower.

Reni, I don't think mold and mildew would be a problem for you here, but why not look up some allergists in the Triangle area, call their offices, and ask if they can share such information with you?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 PM

149 posts, read 474,923 times
long answer short- no.

the northeast has a much longer and wetter winter than we do, contributing to a lot of the moisture problems seen up there.

While you will see some problems here- most homes do not have basements, and those that do, are typically walk out basements, which are better prepared and insulated against the moisture than sunken basements seen up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary