U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:31 AM

842 posts, read 2,031,371 times
Default Hooters in Scranton

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think the NBC show "The Office" has ruined my impression of Scranton PA. When I think of Scranton, PA all that comes to minde is a inept paper company and Hooters Restaurants!
I hate to break it to you, but Scranton doesn't have a Hooters Restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-13-2006, 07:12 AM

1,531 posts, read 4,877,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
No offense to Raleigh, but I just don't like "sprawl." I'd like to live in the type of neighborhood where you could WALK to just about anything and everything, from work, to your childrens' schools, to church, to restaurants, pubs, nightlife, shopping, movies, etc. (This is why I'm moving into downtown Scranton from this cul-de-sac in a few years---the compactness and walkability attracts me). I've been to Raleigh once before (Way back in 1994), and even then it didn't strike me as a well-defined, easily-navigable, walkable city. I'm not saying that's a "bad" thing; it just makes owning a car all the more ESSENTIAL, and if you're tiring of driving 300+ miles per week (as I am), then you might eventually long to walk someplace again (as I am).
We do have that in Raleigh (although no where as good as Chapel Hill & Carrboro, or even Durham, but we have it). You just have to actually live in those areas, in and around downtown...or just about anywhere inside-the-beltline, really. "North Raleigh Guy", in the post above, laments the bus service. And I understand where he's coming from. But in the city proper, the bus service isn't that bad, really. He just lives way way out in the boondocks where the demand for those city services has never really been there. If he lived closer to my neighborhood, for example, he would have had at least 4 different bus routes that go within a couple blocks of home. (Actually, he could probably have walked for that matter!)
Raleigh can be as pedestrian/bike/bus/etc-friendly as you make it to be. Choose to actually live deep in the city, you'll get it. Choose to live out in the 'burbs, then you won't get it....and cars will likely be your only source of transit.
It's really that simple.

Unread 12-13-2006, 07:50 AM

653 posts, read 1,998,330 times
Default crystal balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I'm impressed with your crystal ball...where did you get it? I got mine in Salem, MA! I'm still trying to get it to tell me if home #1 will appreciate more than home #2!!! Vicki
Maybe if we put them together... I'll call you for those appreciation forcasts, and you can call me for roadwork... We'd be unstoppable, bwah hah hah...

Unread 12-13-2006, 08:18 AM

25,461 posts, read 42,453,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think the NBC show "The Office" has ruined my impression of Scranton PA. When I think of Scranton, PA all that comes to minde is a inept paper company and Hooters Restaurants!

HA! Thanks for the laugh! Actually, Scranton doesn't have a single Hooters within its metro area, and the Dunder-Mifflin Company doesn't exist, nor has it ever existed. Actually, we're a lot more cultured than what the rest of the nation gives us credit for; we have an annual Jazz Festival, an art museum, downtown art galleries, the Scranton Cultural Center with its off-Broadway shows, a few "chic" downtown restaurants and boutiques, some new loft apartment projects, an annual Italian heritage festival, one of the largest St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the nation (Scranton has the largest Irish demographic for any city of its size in the nation), a major farmers' market, etc. Most people think of Scranton as being the capital of "Pennsyltucky", but we've come a long way in the past 5-10 years.

Unread 12-13-2006, 08:29 AM

842 posts, read 2,031,371 times
Default Timetable for Western Wake Expressway.

Per this article...
http://www.ncturnpike.org/news/12-14-05.asp

If developed as a toll road (likely at this point), construction begins in 2007 and completes in 2011. Otherwise, construction begins in 2012 and completes in 2022.

Unread 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM

137 posts, read 388,410 times
Actually, compared to most cities of relative size, I think the existing freeway network in the Triangle is pretty good (rush hour traffic aside, of course). It'll get even better someday when Hwy 1/Capital Blvd (north) gets an upgrade to I-85 someday, along with the completion of the entire 540 Loop.

I haven't ridden any of the public buses, so I haven't had a chance to figure out the bus networks yet. You've got DATA in Durham, CAT in Raleigh, and there's TTA and their trolley-looking buses... are any of these services actually easy to use and get from one to the other? (say I needed a bus from downtown Raleigh to Chapel Hill or Durham) Sometimes increasing ridership on public buses is as easy as getting some sensible routes in order and making them rider-friendly - but as with all things that serve the public, you can't please everyone all of the time.

Unread 12-13-2006, 09:10 PM

8,881 posts, read 16,833,869 times
I wish living closer to downtown was an actual option. FOr me the choice wasn't there becasue my pockets are not deep enough. I hate being part of the sprawl problem here in Raleigh, but I really needed to buy a home and stop throwing money away on rent. I looked into buying closer to downtown, but I either could not afford the homes for sale or the very very few that I could were "fixer-uppers" that I did not have the money to invest in. Even the fixer-upers were pretty much above my range. I am glad to see the downtown area get reviatalized, but that has lead to a lot of speculation makign it hard for the average Joe to buy into the downtown area unless you are willing to just rent.

Unread 12-19-2006, 04:05 PM

35 posts, read 94,193 times
It sounds like you should expect an opening date near the first of March, and be pleasantly surprised if it is earlier than that. Considering the delays that accompanied both the Beltline & the Outer Loop, you should consider yourself lucky that it is being done in this decade...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary