Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 11:28 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Raeligh for two years now and everytime I hear I-540 mentioned on the radio it seems like the schedule for the newest sections to open up has been pushed back. I know you can check out the DOT website for updates, but c'mon how accurate are they really? Does anybody know when the section between Capital Boulevard and 64 business in Knightdale will open? It seems like it has been postponed indefinitely . By the time these new sections fianlly open up, so much new development will have already taken place that they are already going to be halfway on their way to being obsolete!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 12:32 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,711 times
hmmm... let me check my crystal ball.....

Okay, the latest I've seen is the beginning of the year. It was supposed to be October, then in November, they said late December, but all the rain pushed it back. So it'll be a month from whenever you're asking, I guess.

Good news is, they're finishing the surfaces over Capital now, so that is usually close to the end. Sunday, they had the whole thing blocked off with traffic going along the shoulder to pave it through the mall exit.

Maybe you could as Santa for I-540 for Christmas!

Old 12-12-2006, 01:05 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,666,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
hmmm... let me check my crystal ball.....

Okay, the latest I've seen is the beginning of the year. It was supposed to be October, then in November, they said late December, but all the rain pushed it back. So it'll be a month from whenever you're asking, I guess.

Good news is, they're finishing the surfaces over Capital now, so that is usually close to the end. Sunday, they had the whole thing blocked off with traffic going along the shoulder to pave it through the mall exit.

Maybe you could ask Santa for I-540 for Christmas!
No.....Santa's gonna use it for a landing strip! However, I do think it is coming close to opening up.....though to be honest, I am not looking forward to more traffic going through there.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:47 PM

325 posts, read 1,408,285 times
Last thing I heard is the stretch of 540 from the Knightdale bypass to Capital Blvd was supposed to be open around the first of the year (2007). According to the NCDOT projects website though, apps.dot.state.nc.us/traffictravel/progloc/ProgLocSearch.aspx (search for I-540), the short chute from the bypass to old 64 is virtually complete. That section has a different contractor vs. the section north of Knightdale which is at about 95% completion. The contractor working north of Knightdale also constructed part of the 64 bypass, which was over schedule by 6-12 months before opening. Hmmmm.....

Old 12-12-2006, 02:50 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
Hmmmm do I see a Big Dig story repeating itself here?...

Old 12-12-2006, 02:57 PM

325 posts, read 1,408,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Hmmmm do I see a Big Dig story repeating itself here?...
Fortunately this road is above ground!

Old 12-12-2006, 04:32 PM

43,275 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Default I-540 to open early 2007

http://www.newsobserver.com/125/story/517992.html (broken link)

Old 12-12-2006, 04:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,516,616 times
Thanks for the link. Anyone also know if the interstate will include lighting? I find it odd actually that the beltline has none.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 PM

137 posts, read 607,153 times
I'm another one who yearns for some overhead lighting on 440. After all, most of it IS within city limits, right, regardless of the fact that NCDOT maintains it? I'm not asking to light the thing up like a stadium or mall parking lot, but the simple addition of an occasional lightpole in the median would do wonders, especially in inclement weather. Same goes for 40 between Raleigh and Durham. That's an awful lot of blacktop with no illumination.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:26 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,076 times
They wanted to get it done by the Holidays, but all that excessive rain we got in November set them back. (It was one of the wettest falls I remember!)
So...now they're aiming for mid January, last I heard. The road itself is mostly done, it's just finishing ramps they gotta get done. I've been told by a reliable source that the cool dry weather we've had this past week or two has been "ideal" for their remaining paving work, so that's a good sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary