Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times

Advertisements

For the sports I see my 8th grader playing/participating: How would you rank the Triangle area schools for:

Football
Lacrosse
(is there any HS hockey or is it just rec/metro league?) which brings me to the alternative...
Swimming
Water Polo. Is it a Varisty sport? It's not around here but I know it is in other parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:56 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,796 times
Football--big. Lacrosse -- growing. There are a number of schools with Varsity LAX, and some with JV also. It's a growing sport here, and the fact that both UNC and Duke have excellent LAX teams with summer camps helps. Have not heard of water polo at any high school, but some do have swim teams.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:52 PM

149 posts, read 515,420 times
most of the high schools have swim teams. Don't think any lacross, but its been a few years since I was in highschool...lol

hockey- no, none that I know of but you can join leagues through the ice hockey places

most highschools have:

football
basketball
volleyball
baseball
swimming
tennis
golf (becoming more popular in schools)

Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 PM

I love people who leave comments (of a vaguely negative nature) in the rep section and then don't sign names.

To answer your question, I am not putting the cart before the horse. I am not "worried about the schools". I would have taken the relo package if I thought the job were worth taking. It wasn't. And I'm not going to take any old job just to move when I already have a job where I am. That's sort of stupid, isn't it?

The question about schools was simply one of curiousity, nothing more. I appreciate those who have answered. If/when we are ready to move, I will research more thoroughly. In the meantime, these forums are great for general information and I will continue to seek it.

I'm surprised lacrosse isn't bigger. I thought the mid-Atlantic was huge lacrosse territory and I know the Triangle area universities have highly rated LAX teams.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Laccross is big at Apex High I know for sure they have both men's and women's loccross teams...and believe other schools that have good laccross programs are Green Hope and possibly Cary. It's not nearly as big of a sport in NC as it is in the northeast but it's catching on

Old 03-29-2008, 06:18 AM

45 posts, read 168,621 times
Lacrosse is HUGE at Chapel Hill High...they were state champs last year. The teams (jv and v) are huge. Chapel Hill has a decent football program and baseball program but those are the only sports I have direct knowledge of. A couple of kids from CHHS got football scholarships for next year and there is one junior being heavily scouted.
Judy

Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 AM

15 posts, read 40,544 times
The Lacrosse scene seems to be growing. Many of the private schools have teams and it is growing amongst the public school ranks. Its only a matter of time. I suspect like most areas were lax has been introduced the last 10 years it will catch on and draw the best athletes. Its faster, more athletic, and more fun to practice than baseball.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,692,353 times
I think most of your older High Schools are going to have all the programs you are looking for, I'm not sure about the newer schools. Have you tried the school district website that you can then go to the individual High School websites?
DPS District Site - Home
CHCCS Home - CHCCS Home
Wake County Public School System
Orange County Schools

Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I know many of the areas high schools have lacrosse teams (I've been to some of the games because my BIL is a HS lacrosse coach!). The only ones you will have trouble with on your list are hockey (wasn't sure if you were looking for field hockey or ice hockey?) and water polo at the high school level. There are lots of community ice hockey leagues with PLENTY of HS kids and I also saw a water polo team advertised at the new Triangle Aquatic Center in Cary. Swim teams are very popular here and many high schools have them, plus there are tons of very well respected private swim teams across the triangle. In addition, soccer, baseball, basketball and football are big here as well.
I'm sure your son will find plenty of athletic opportunities wherever you end up living.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 AM

Thanks everyone. Yes, I was referring to ice hockey and I didn't really expect to find much at the high school level which is probably ok because he's going to have to choose next year anywhere--NC or MA---as both swimming and hockey are winter sports.

LAX was a "club" sport at our high school when we moved here 11 years ago. Since then, it's graduated to a varsity sport. The coach has his hand deeply into the youth LAX program so the kids come into HS playing his style of LAX. The HS team is a 3 time state champion and even got bumped up a division and still won states! Some towns in MA where the kids are born with LAX sticks in their hands--well our town isn't one of them but we seem to be catching up. Used to be clinic only until 5th grade and then youth teams. Now youth teams start in 3rd grade and we have a second (elite) league that is made up of 12 LAX-crazy towns. So once it catches on, it grows fast.

I did check out the CHHS/ECHHS websites as a previous poster suggested, but I just wanted to get a feel from those who live there. One huge advantage you guys in NC have---your spring sports can truly be played in spring-like weather. Our HS had its first LAX game of the season last night in 35 degree weather with snow squalls. Any wonder why this is the only area of the country in which golf is a fall sport? LOL The greens are too messy in the spring (mud) season!

Again, thanks for any and all info. I can't just research academic programs from afar--I've got to do my best to get the entire picture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary