U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM

376 posts, read 608,242 times
Rockford on Glenwood South is pretty cheap for a sit-down restaurant, and has a great atmosphere. A sandwich would run you $7-8. It's usually pretty packed though.

I also like Q Shack for a relatively cheap meal. There's one in Durham and one at North Hills.

And I second the recommendation for K&W Cafeteria. I just went there for lunch today, and it was, as usual, delicious and cheap. I go to the one in Cameron Village.

And finally, Finch's restaurant is a really good cheap breakfast place. It's definitely not fancy; if I had only seen it from the outside, I never would have gone in, but so many people recommended it, and everyone I've taken there loves it. Finch's is on Peace Street, right up against Capital Blvd. It looks like Capital Blvd could come sliding down on the place at any moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 PM

8 posts, read 24,518 times
I ate at Finches for the first time the other day and have to agree; it is just awesome.

Also good is Watkin's Grill on Atlantic. They have breakfast specials every day that include coffee and cost less than $5.

Be advised, both places are cash only; no credit cards.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:50 AM

8,483 posts, read 15,435,267 times
Crystal Palace (Chinese) for lunch.

Las Margaritas on Six Forks - great Mexican - good prices

Golden Corral for lunch.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 AM
NCN

14,084 posts, read 12,036,196 times
Olive Garden does a soup and salad lunch for a very reasonable price and you get rolls too.

If you go to Olive Garden at night, you can just order salad. We found this out by accident while looking for low fat meals.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 AM

19,420 posts, read 30,290,160 times
Watkins Grill, yes.

Toot n Tell, in Garner

Those first two specialize in home-cookin' thud food with friendly service. And they do it well.

Any decent barbecue joint

Christie's on E Chatham Street in Cary

Get yourself a ham or turkey croissant, or something hot off the grille, and a drink and home-made dessert at Jack Daniels, corner of Avent Ferry/Jones Franklin, and find a picnic table at Lake Johnson.

Los Tres Magueyes

Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,757,086 times
Bali Hai Mongolian Grill

Address:
2414 Wake Forest Rd. Raleigh, NC 27608

Phone: (919) 828-3103

Restaurant:
Pricing level: $ under $10

Food Categories:
Asian

A hole in the wall but I love it and have been going there for years. It is packed at lunch.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:09 AM

2,246 posts, read 5,786,221 times
The seafood place at the State Farmer's Market is good if you like fried seafood, and one plate at $7-$8 is definitely enough for two people. You just have to agree to eat the same thing!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:59 AM

45 posts, read 157,165 times
From a recent poll of Durham residents, Cosmic Cantina on Ninth Street (there is also a location on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill). Huge burritos (could make two meals) for only a few dollars.

Durham, NC | Resident Favorites (http://www.durham-nc.com/dining/residentfavorites.php - broken link)

Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,269,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Scout View Post
Sawmill Taproom in North Raleigh!
IMHO (and a few others I know), the quality has slipped somewhat at the Sawmill Taproom. Their burgers, while still good, are noticeably smaller. Their prices have gone up too. A burger, fries, drink and a tip will set you back $10.00. I can do a whole lot better at home.

Oh, and don't forget TAX.. what is it now?? almost 8%? I know there is at least 1% prepared food surchargein Wake County...

I know everybody is paying more for wholesale items, and I suppose restaurants don't have much choice but to pass these costs on to the consumer..

In the end, we vote with our patronage and our dollars.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:28 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,269,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Bali Hai Mongolian Grill

Address:
2414 Wake Forest Rd. Raleigh, NC 27608
Phone: (919) 828-3103

Restaurant:
Pricing level: $ under $10

Food Categories:
Asian

A hole in the wall but I love it and have been going there for years. It is packed at lunch.
In spite of the reviews, in spite of this history.. I love this place !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary