Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:25 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...-fight-to.html

"...Sean Degnan, a Buku owner, says the restaurant would have been facing a steep lease increase if it stuck around. “Had we stayed in Red Hat, we would have been in that scenario of the rent coming close to doubling,” Degnan says."

It appears that they had a difficult choice to make, but were not summarily pushed out, other than pressure from the rent increase.
Yeah It'd depend on how much that rent was increasing. I'm going to bet it wasn't just a small bump of like $1000 per period (crude example). RedHat wanted and needed that space to expand into. They probably ran some crude numbers and gave buku something borderline crazy for rent onward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 07:31 AM

44 posts, read 49,073 times
Personally, compared to most cities $5 for parking in really low. Even attending concerts down here, parking is low. I'd much rather wander and eat around downtown Raleigh, our Capital City. When you have out of town guests, they want to visit the Capital of North Carolina and stroll around some of the historical areas.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Yeah It'd depend on how much that rent was increasing. I'm going to bet it wasn't just a small bump of like $1000 per period (crude example). RedHat wanted and needed that space to expand into. They probably ran some crude numbers and gave buku something borderline crazy for rent onward.
That article, which requires subscription, is a study on retail and food options openings and closings in DT Raleigh.
Many restaurateurs are being pressured by rent increases due to growth.

I went to The Mecca the other day, after it was discussed in a thread.
For a lark, and the ambiance!

Server says that Greg Hatem is going to do a fairly broad renovation, remodel the stairs and install main level restrooms.
I don't see it getting cheaper.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:26 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
awesome news, The SAS campus area will keep them busy

Old 06-23-2018, 06:56 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I keep seeing people say (including BuKu and many articles) Red Hat is raising rents, pushing them out, etc. Does Red Hat Own that building now? Do they manage it? As far as I can see, Duke/Progress energy owns it still and they have someone manage it for them.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
As for BuKu, I’ve always been underwhelmed by their food. Id adrede with an earlier poster that said they’re trying to do too much and not excelling at anything. If I want international, I’d go for Bhavana, Bida Monda, José and Sons, or Sitti before going to BuKu.
Yeah Buku ain't got nothing on Bhava and Bida Manda that's for sure.

But there are some great dishes at Buku. The ramen is ok. The Korean bibimbap is decent. There's this African beef thing with rice that's wicked good. The Chinese steam buns are delicious.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
You completely missed my sarcasm. Downtown is a unique destination and experience. To not be receptive simply because it's expensive or have to pay to park is pretty ignorant. Well unless you just like the mundane suburbia life, which is fine, but might I suggest you live life to the fullest and experience all the Triangle area has to offer?
Yes... it is silly to avoid downtown solely because of the parking hassles. I don't know what to tell you. I've lived here pretty much all my life (we lived further east when I was very young, but from 1st grade onward, I lived in Wake and from 8th onward, I lived in Raleigh or Cary, save a year near Chicago).

I have seen DTR plenty of times. Living in Cary, I typically don't want to drive to DTR to eat dinner unless I have other plans in DTR.

And, I do not Uber.

So, this is a welcome addition to the dining options already available in Cary for us.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:29 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
I don't see what's wrong with having diverse eating options in all areas of the Triangle

Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM

61 posts, read 51,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
LOL! Have you ever been downtown? There are tons of restaurants at a vast array of price points. To say that all the restaurants in DTR are expensive is laughable.

Plus there is plenty of free parking and even if you have to pay its like $5. Not a huge amount of money.
Yes, many times over the past 10+ years.

I'm not comparing diners in the suburbs to fine dining downtown, obviously. Eating downtown is far more expensive than eating at comparable restaurants in the surrounding suburbs.

And less convenient.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfortytwo View Post
I'm not comparing diners in the suburbs to fine dining downtown, obviously. Eating downtown is far more expensive than eating at comparable restaurants in the surrounding suburbs.
I've eaten at almost every major restaurant in the Triangle and I'm not sure if this is true.......what restaurants are comparable to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary