Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 04:50 AM

214 posts, read 663,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yeah Buku ain't got nothing on Bhava and Bida Manda that's for sure.

But there are some great dishes at Buku. The ramen is ok. The Korean bibimbap is decent. There's this African beef thing with rice that's wicked good. The Chinese steam buns are delicious.
Well, I had the ramen so I guess it was just a poor choice on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:56 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallTucker View Post
I usually have good luck around Nash Square as well as Capital Square. I also don't mind paying $5 for parking. Seems very reasonable to me. Sure doesn't impede business downtown.
Charlotte is at least 7$ an hour in gravel lots a little further out. Around $12 an hour for the decks. $5 is such a steal. Enjoy it, because it ain’t gonna get cheaper.

I don’t know in Raleigh, but Charlotte most places have validated parking so just call the place you want to eat at and see if they have validated parking (IE, you get to park free in a deck for free for a few hours)

Either way, $5 shouldn’t be a deterrent.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:10 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfortytwo View Post
Yes, many times over the past 10+ years.

I'm not comparing diners in the suburbs to fine dining downtown, obviously. Eating downtown is far more expensive than eating at comparable restaurants in the surrounding suburbs.

And less convenient.
"...far more expensive..." ? Then let's compare a few "comparable" restaurants....

Beasley's Chicken and Waffles (Downtown) to Dames Chicken and Waffles (Cary, Durham):
Dames doesn't post their menu prices online, but I just ate there last week. Their prices seem to be right about the same as Beasley's and maybe even a bit higher overall.

Gravy (Downtown) to Tiramasu (N. Raleigh):
Tiramasu: Lasagna - $16 , Chicken Parmesan - $17, Chicken Piccata - $17
Gravy: Lasagna - $15, Chicken Parmesan - $16, Chicken Piccata - $18

Chuck's (Downtown) to Zinburger (Southpointe):
Zinburger: Standard cheeseburger: $11
Chuck's: Standard cheeseburger: $8.50

I could go on ... , but the truth is that for the finer and more distinctive restaurants (Crawford and Sons, Death and Taxes, Brewery Bhavana, etc.), there are typically no comparable restaurants in the suburbs.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM

242 posts, read 150,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I don't see what's wrong with having diverse eating options in all areas of the Triangle

This. I don't get the pissing contest. There are good places to eat downtown. There are good places to eat not downtown.

Sometimes people would prefer to go to the more convenient good place to eat. Sometimes people want additional variety and will go farther for something new.

When I make it downtown, I have found plenty of places that I enjoyed. But on a day to day basis, it is a lot easier and I also have a lot of good options these days in Cary... and since (like many), I am busy and don't get out too often, I tend to go convenient and good.

But it is ok that there are restaurants not downtown that provide options.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
bu.ku won't be bu.ku when it opens in Cary this summer. Instead, it will be named ko.an and will focus on Vietnamese and Thai cuisine.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...231763723.html

Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 AM

ko.an opens late next week following a soft opening next Monday:

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...236522018.html

Old 07-18-2023, 02:19 PM

Made it to ko.an a couple of times and enjoyed ourselves. Had been meaning to get back there again, but they've closed down for good coming out of a summer break. No decision from Degnan on whether to open a different concept in the space.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...277398233.html

Old 07-19-2023, 11:32 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Buku had a great Sunday buffet.

Many folks are passing downtown by because of parking issues and predatory towing.

Downtown will need to concentrate on customers who live or work downtown.
What are you talking about? Always can find plenty of parking in DT. I cant think of a time I could not find parking.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:46 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
What are you talking about? Always can find plenty of parking in DT. I cant think of a time I could not find parking.
Since Ol' Cap got the boot again 5 years ago, I think your use of present tense may be in error.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:43 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Since Ol' Cap got the boot again 5 years ago, I think your use of present tense may be in error.

Who's ol Cap, smiley? Who's the most successful serial restauranteur in the Triangle? Giorgio in Durham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary