U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM

231 posts, read 207,480 times

Advertisements

We visited Kure and it's so cute and has that sloppy spoon you're talking about.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 02:24 PM

3,059 posts, read 3,287,446 times
I love Wrightsville Beach -- the fastest and easiest to reach, by far -- but I avoid it from mid-May through mid-September because of the parking situation. The only way to be reasonably certain of a parking place in the public lots at WB during summer is getting there by 7:30 am.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:37 PM

7,706 posts, read 9,240,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I love Wrightsville Beach -- the fastest and easiest to reach, by far -- but I avoid it from mid-May through mid-September because of the parking situation. The only way to be reasonably certain of a parking place in the public lots at WB during summer is getting there by 7:30 am.
Public parking is getting more and more difficult at Sunset Beach too.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,736,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, like I said we didn't manage to get down there until the afternoon because too much stuff going on in the morning, so it's possible parking would have been tighter earlier, but it really wasn't an issue when we drove in. I just pulled in the first parking lot I saw by the boardwalk and there were spots. Probably was around 3pm. Spent the afternoon and ate dinner and came by home by around midnight. We're a night owl family so worked for us. It's light until 8:30, so we had a nice time on the beach.
I think I like your approach better. To me, a full day out on the beach would be miserable (even with a tent/umbrella) - too much time in the sun and heat. Leave late morning, arrive early afternoon, miss the worst of the direct sun, then stay for dinner and drive home. Hope to swoop in on parking of someone who left for lunch. My biggest issue would be needing a nap after a full day out in the sun.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 768,990 times
It's been over a year since I went to Morehead City and the beaches near it. Traffic was fine to New Bern, then it was stop and stop and stop for more traffic lights between New Bern and Morehead City. Not sure if I was in the middle of a shift change at Cherry Branch or is it always has so much traffic.

For a day trip, take I-40 until it ends and pick a beach near there.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:59 PM

744 posts, read 1,128,407 times
Yup, Ft. Fisher. Now, there's a certain part of Ft. Fisher I like to go to but I'm going to keep that a secret because I don't want it to get over-run. It reminds me of being in the Keys.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 PM

11,949 posts, read 13,110,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think I like your approach better. To me, a full day out on the beach would be miserable (even with a tent/umbrella) - too much time in the sun and heat.
The evening is by far my favorite time on the beach. Sun is not beating down on you and you get some nice sunsets even if it's not directly over the water. When going on extended family reunion type beach vacations people in my family are always wanting to have supper during the golden hour. They just don't know what they're missing.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:44 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,209,512 times
+1 for the comments re the lack of parking, or, the places being over-capacity. We haven't been to many of the beach areas in NC but the ones we have, are a nightmare for parking during high season, to the point of almost turn-around-and-go-home level.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:55 PM

306 posts, read 660,853 times
We just did Atlantic Beach this week. Go there about noon, parking was readily available, stayed for most of the day, stopped on the way back for dinner and then we were home around dark. Easy day trip.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:46 AM

235 posts, read 215,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Wrightsville and Carolina are the easiest and have most amenities, but the most crowded and painful parking. Kure Beach is much more open but very few options to eat.

Topsail Beach is good and open, but not much amenities.
If the basic amenity requirements are:

-day trip
-beach/ocean
-place to eat
-public shower/restroom

Then Topsail Beach is a good match for the OP. It takes us about 2hrs 20 mins to get from N. Raleigh to Topsail Beach. Parking is not a problem unless you try to hang near the Surf City pier area. There are public beach access points up and down the island with FREE and EASY parking. There are restaurants, delis and pizza places within walking distance to beach.

OP, if you choose Topsail, head south into Topsail Beach once on the island, Once you are about 2+ miles south of the center of Surf City town center things become much less crowded. Downtown Topsail Beach has two restaurants, coffee shop, ice cream and Cora's Isle End Deli which has amazing sandwiches. You could hit the beach there and walk to Cora's easily. There is a public restroom/shower facility in downtown Topsail Beach as well. It's an outdoor shower post but at least gives you the opportunity to rinse off and then change in the restroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary