Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

No need or any reason to do AirBnB at the beach. You'll get a much bigger selection and often better properties if you just go through one of the realty companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 09:07 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
the flooding will be gone in 3 weeks. whether those areas will have recovered is a different matter.

the hog farms and coal ash aren't at the beach anyway.

it is indeed a better rec to go to the OBX when you come. But Wrightsville Beach will be open for business in 3 weeks.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
(we keep reading about the possibility of more flooding, hog waste pits and coal ash overflowing... so I guess we are trying to avoid to plan a trip to an area in NC where that could be a real threat).
Are you planning on visiting farming communities? These things have nothing to do with the coast. And the flooding will be over by next week, and that's river flooding, which again - has nothing to do with Wilmington. The rivers will be out of flood stage by early next week, and even then most will be out by this weekend.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:10 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Are you planning on visiting farming communities? These things have nothing to do with the coast. And the flooding will be over by next week, and that's river flooding, which again - has nothing to do with Wilmington. The rivers will be out of flood stage by early next week, and even then most will be out by this weekend.
Haha, no. But, I guess when you do not know much about the area, you just assume that everything in the south of NC is pretty much flooded or about to. I am just trying to plan a trip and want it to be pleasant, that's all.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the flooding will be gone in 3 weeks. whether those areas will have recovered is a different matter.

the hog farms and coal ash aren't at the beach anyway.

it is indeed a better rec to go to the OBX when you come. But Wrightsville Beach will be open for business in 3 weeks.
Thanks! We'll check it out.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 AM

We just came back from NC, and I had a wonderful time in Durham. We decided to do a day trip to Wrightsville Beach, as our trip was primarily checking our Durham-Raleigh and Chapel Hill to decide if we want to move there. The beach was really nice, clean and there weren't that many people there. We were able to walk around and enjoy it. The water was unexpectedly warm - we had no idea you could get into even in mid-October (a major plus!!).

Out of three towns/cities we visited, we definitely liked Durham the most. We stayed around Duke Park and were able to walk everywhere. We really liked the warehouse district area and all the breweries, cute little restaurants and garage spaces.

Meeting people was so easy. People would just randomly talk to us. They were genuinely nice and helpful ... maybe because majority people are transplants themselves, they were willing to offer so many ideas and recommendations to us. Plus there was no "don't move here... it's terrible" kind of ironic/sarcastic bs, that you may encounter in Denver, lol.

I do not think jobs would be hard to find either. We talked to a guy who literally asked our emails as soon as he found out what we do (kind of niche/specialized IT field). He was like "you can get a job here tomorrow with those skills" which made us really happy. Of course, it does not mean anything until we get the jobs and the pay we want, but that's definitely a good feeling.

We took a whole day to just check out some neighborhoods. Established neighborhoods seem to be right next to ones that are getting transitioned/gentrified. There is definitely a lot of house flipping happening. The real estate seems to be picking up. There are tons of condos, it looks like builders are trying to catch up... there definitely seems to be shortage of new builds.

We checked out the Durham farmers market, and really liked it. Lots of great food, in general. We ate at Pizzeria Torro, hang out at Durham Hotel's roof/bar, went to Trophy, Fullsteam, Labor & Parts, Saltbox, M Sushi, Loaf... and many other pretty cool places. The energy of Durham was just right for us. We definitely liked it more than any other places around.

What we didn't get is why so many places were closed on Sunday and many more on Monday... and also, there weren't that many people out and about. Everywhere we went, we'd be like "where is everyone?" We just didn't see that many people. Which we thought was kind of odd?

Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
"just came back from NC" = this past weekend?

glad the trip went well. There are businesses that are closed Sundays, and some restaurants close Sunday or Monday. I can't imagine that figure is higher than 20% of businesses though. And we all deserve a day off.

All the condos you saw being built were almost exclusively apartments for rent. It's very difficult now the get the $$ rounded up or borrowed to build a condo project.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
"just came back from NC" = this past weekend?

glad the trip went well. There are businesses that are closed Sundays, and some restaurants close Sunday or Monday. I can't imagine that figure is higher than 20% of businesses though. And we all deserve a day off.

All the condos you saw being built were almost exclusively apartments for rent. It's very difficult now the get the $$ rounded up or borrowed to build a condo project.

Yep, came back yesterday. I was there Thur-Tuesday.

Sure, everyone needs a day off, I am not arguing that. But, I guess living in Denver I have never seen a pretty popular restaurant being closed on Monday, so I thought maybe there is a reason for it.

Another thing I noticed - commercial spaces still seem affordable. I was shocked to see a fabrication, sewing, or woodworking shops in downtown areas. Good to see that the creative class is not getting priced out of Durham. But, I am guessing that'll be changing soon.

About the condos -- wonder if the hedge funds flock in and start building "luxury" condos for sale soon. Happened in Austin, happening in Denver. A regular REI can't do anything here anymore. It's all big money now. But, based on what I saw, Triangle is pretty spread out, you can probably still score some deals whether to flip or for a long hold/rentals.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
What we didn't get is why so many places were closed on Sunday and many more on Monday... and also, there weren't that many people out and about. Everywhere we went, we'd be like "where is everyone?" We just didn't see that many people. Which we thought was kind of odd?
We moved here from Northern Virginia over six years ago, and we are still gobsmacked when we go out to eat only to find the restaurant closed. And yes, it seems to be Sundays or Mondays. Sundays because they are most likely Christians. Mondays probably because they want a day off and don't want it on the weekend.

It is unusual to find restaurants that close one day per week in bigger cities. I can only think of one near me in NoVA that closed on Sundays, and that was a custard shop owned by a Mormon family. Here in Chapel Hill I can think of several near me right off the top of my head - a Chinese restaurant, Tutti Frutti, Al's Burger Shack, Banditos, and Carrburritos.

As far as people out and about, we had this discussion in another thread. The cities down here are not very dense, and you pretty much have to drive everywhere, so people will drive to Durham and go to a ball game and then get back in their car and drive home. Or they will drive to DPAC park and maybe eat dinner and walk to the show and then drive home. There are some small exceptions here and there. But overall, these are not dense, walkable cities.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:36 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I’m from Long Island where I seem to remember some restaurants being closed on Mondays as mentioned - to avoijd closing on the weekend. I guess if they can afford to close a day or two during the week it speaks to the affordability of doing business here OR how well the business is doing overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary