Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times

Advertisements

I take lots of pictures around the Triangle for my blog so I thought I would share some of them here. I know that many people visit here to learn about the area and there is tons of information here, but pictures are worth 1000 words, right? I'll make a new post for each town and parts of town, starting with Downtown Cary.

Downtown Cary

I love the quaint murals in Cary downtown.

Local art throughout the city...

Ashworth's still has an operating lunch counter where you can get traditional food like hot dogs and egg salad sandwiches, milkshakes, etc.

The Mayton Inn

Our nostalgic old library is being replaced with a new, state of the art library next to the Downtown Cary Park.

Downtown Cary Park

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:36 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,232,899 times
Nice photos. I'm not saying this to be snarky, because it's a work in progress and is making strides, but those pictures make DT Cary look much nicer and more charming than it really is.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Nice photos. I'm not saying this to be snarky, because it's a work in progress and is making strides, but those pictures make DT Cary look much nicer and more charming than it really is.
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I spend a lot of time in DT Cary. I think it's adorable and I absolutely love it. These pics were taken mostly in one day during a stroll downtown. I think it is a very accurate representation. Would love to hear if others agree with you, though.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Pitts View Post
I'm surprised to hear you say that. I spend a lot of time in DT Cary. I think it's adorable and I absolutely love it. These pics were taken mostly in one day during a stroll downtown. I think it is a very accurate representation. Would love to hear if others agree with you, though.
Agree it's come a long way, even in the short amount of years I've been here. It just doesn't quote have the charm of some other downtown areas, but it's definitely on its way.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I need to check out downtown Cary again. I liked it the couple of times I went there, but I am glad to hear that they are making it even better. Charming or not, any town that has a walkable center is a-ok in my book, especially when that walkable downtown includes a library!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,274,477 times
The photos jibe with my experience of downtown Cary. Thanks for posting.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:31 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
I liked those!

They do capture the essence of DT Cary, but they would, to a person who has NEVER been there, give the impression that the DT area is far more interesting than it actually is. What you do not see in the photos, because that sort of area does not exist, is a nice row of shops, one after the other.

Most of the shops you captured have parking lots in front of them.

Nothing wrong with that, of course. If you have been in DT Cary, you know what it's like.

Just thinking of those who have never been.

It is improving, though. I would expect we'll have the kind of DT area fairly soon that people will be eager to declare as "walkable to a wide variety of shops and restaurants."

Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
I think DT Cary is quite nice and it is charming. It's not the typical DT area where you have at least a main street with shops and entrances on both sides (think that wee stretch of DT area in Apex). It's not even like Cameron Village in Raleigh where you have a lot of shops and restaurants you can walk to in long rows with housing above some of them.

DT Cary is getting there, though. I see more and more people walking around down there all the time. That's a signal to investors that the area is worth setting up shop in.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think DT Cary is quite nice and it is charming. It's not the typical DT area where you have at least a main street with shops and entrances on both sides (think that wee stretch of DT area in Apex). It's not even like Cameron Village in Raleigh where you have a lot of shops and restaurants you can walk to in long rows with housing above some of them.

DT Cary is getting there, though. I see more and more people walking around down there all the time. That's a signal to investors that the area is worth setting up shop in.
Right - it's getting there. But there's still some run down buildings, some unsightly car repair shops, etc. Even the La Farme building is pretty lousy looking in my opinion.

I'm by no means complaining, I love DT Cary and spend a lot of time there, and know it's getting better by the day. Things like this take time.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Right - it's getting there. But there's still some run down buildings, some unsightly car repair shops, etc.

I'm by no means complaining, I love DT Cary and spend a lot of time there, and know it's getting better by the day.
I definitely think the nice parts take up so much more area than the few old car repair shops that they just blend in...they're almost a little nostalgic, IMO. But then I'm a sucker for anything old. I'll be really sad to see our old library go even though I'm super excited for the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary