Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:29 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I saw you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:18 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
Stopped in this afternoon for the first time. I walked around to check out all of the food vendors, and finally settled on some the lobster grilled cheese, tots, and clam chowder from Cousins. Sat outside on the patio on one of the picnic tables. They have table service for drinks from the bar, so I had a few of their available draft beers. I ended up sharing the table with a couple and their 1-year old boy. Overall I had a great time. I'll definitely be going back to try the other food vendors.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,848 times
Went there with some friends and kids after a trip to the museums. Major disappointment. I actually feel bad I’ve suggested it and we walked there in pretty hot weather. It is basically just a very crowded overpriced food court with a bar.

Since there were so many options I thought we’d definitely find something for the kids but oh boy was I wrong! One kid wanted just fries. Found them at Cow Bar, $3 the fries seemed terribly burned to me. The other kid wanted a pizza or a grilled cheese sandwich. The only pizza place there sells only whole pies, $10 cheapest. Cow Bar had grilled cheese sandwich for $8 and they ran out of bread. Settled for some ice cream ($4 for 2 very small scoops). There were I think 7 flavors, 2 of them vegan variations, 2 had nuts, so that didn’t leave much.

The whole place is terribly organized, people who are trying to just walk around and see the options constantly run into the forming lines. Not sure if there was some problem with ventilation but the smell inside was awful. Imagine a combination of a busted beer batch, burned BBQ and kimchi. After just a few minutes my kid turned pale green and asked to step outside. Outside sitting area was nice if it wasn’t for heat and humidity.

Terribly noisy and hectic. The empanadas place seemed tempting but honestly with all the smell and ambiance I just lost appetite.

It might be an awesome place for adults who just want to grab something to go or hang out at the bar. But didn’t seem very family friendly and definitely way overpriced for a glorified food court.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
Went there with some friends and kids after a trip to the museums. Major disappointment. I actually feel bad I’ve suggested it and we walked there in pretty hot weather. It is basically just a very crowded overpriced food court with a bar.

Since there were so many options I thought we’d definitely find something for the kids but oh boy was I wrong! One kid wanted just fries. Found them at Cow Bar, $3 the fries seemed terribly burned to me. The other kid wanted a pizza or a grilled cheese sandwich. The only pizza place there sells only whole pies, $10 cheapest. Cow Bar had grilled cheese sandwich for $8 and they ran out of bread. Settled for some ice cream ($4 for 2 very small scoops). There were I think 7 flavors, 2 of them vegan variations, 2 had nuts, so that didn’t leave much.

The whole place is terribly organized, people who are trying to just walk around and see the options constantly run into the forming lines. Not sure if there was some problem with ventilation but the smell inside was awful. Imagine a combination of a busted beer batch, burned BBQ and kimchi. After just a few minutes my kid turned pale green and asked to step outside. Outside sitting area was nice if it wasn’t for heat and humidity.

Terribly noisy and hectic. The empanadas place seemed tempting but honestly with all the smell and ambiance I just lost appetite.

It might be an awesome place for adults who just want to grab something to go or hang out at the bar. But didn’t seem very family friendly and definitely way overpriced for a glorified food court.
Definitely not a family friendly place IMO - mostly for working professionals in the downtown area. Also give it a few weeks to cool down once the initial rush is over.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:24 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,014 times
Quote:

Did they ever claim to be "family friendly?" If they did I missed that.

It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but just because your experience was negative does not make it a horrible place. To the contrary i've heard many positive reviews.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:05 AM

269 posts, read 321,819 times
Has anyone tried the ramen at The Broth? Haven't found any reviews yet.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 AM

81 posts, read 158,762 times
Quote:

Haha, oh boy if you think that's overpriced I don't recommend visiting anywhere else because those prices are reasonable compared to most major cities in the US. In the top 10 major metro cities the same food hall prices for what you just listed would be: fries ($5), pizza ($14+), grilled cheese or any type of sandwich ($12+), a single scoop of ice cream in a cup ($5 to $7). I honestly have to remind myself that inflation is a fact of life and a dollar is not worth much these days.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coffee View Post
Has anyone tried the ramen at The Broth? Haven't found any reviews yet.
My friend tried it out and he said the broth was good but the toppings not so much. He did think he might have gotten a bad batch though.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM

678 posts, read 738,072 times
If you want "family friendly", maybe Golden Corral is better for you than the Morgan St Food Court.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:35 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
If you want "family friendly", maybe Golden Corral is better for you than the Morgan St Food Court.
Great reply

I agree with the person above on all points. Overpriced and wasn't impressed really at all. Oak city fish and chips was the WORST fish and chips I have ever had. Corn meal with the skin still on, gross. My wife ordered small things from two places and neither were great. A friend got a sandwich and his was okay, but nothing better than any other sandwich place.

Too packed, poorly organized, sub par food choices, overpriced. It's hipster haven for sure and it fits those types of places to a T. I might try it again next year but I sure as heck wont get fish and chips again. The bird scooters were awesome, I finally got to try one. That was a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary