Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:59 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Great reply

I agree with the person above on all points. Overpriced and wasn't impressed really at all. Oak city fish and chips was the WORST fish and chips I have ever had. Corn meal with the skin still on, gross. My wife ordered small things from two places and neither were great. A friend got a sandwich and his was okay, but nothing better than any other sandwich place.

Too packed, poorly organized, sub par food choices, overpriced. It's hipster haven for sure and it fits those types of places to a T. I might try it again next year but I sure as heck wont get fish and chips again. The bird scooters were awesome, I finally got to try one. That was a plus.
what were you expecting food choice wise and price wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:34 PM

459 posts, read 373,418 times
Quote:
Great reply

I agree with the person above on all points. Overpriced and wasn't impressed really at all. Oak city fish and chips was the WORST fish and chips I have ever had. Corn meal with the skin still on, gross. My wife ordered small things from two places and neither were great. A friend got a sandwich and his was okay, but nothing better than any other sandwich place.

Too packed, poorly organized, sub par food choices, overpriced. It's hipster haven for sure and it fits those types of places to a T. I might try it again next year but I sure as heck wont get fish and chips again. The bird scooters were awesome, I finally got to try one. That was a plus.

Fish skin is good eating. Sound like you like boring, bland food. Morgan Street Food Hall is not, not, not, not, not a Hipster Haven--nobody in the joint is breaking new ground, nobody is serving expensive ingredients, chefs and sous chefs aren't running around trying to make perfect dishes. Morgan Street Food Hall is just an incredible upgrade in lunch options in a downtown Raleigh food desert, the fact that you call a Hipster Haven tells me you don't know what you're taking about.

If you want a hipster food hall the TimeOut Food Hall in Lisbon, Portugal is the place. Every vendor has professional chefs cranking out gourmet meals using exotic ingredients and techniques.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I think he just wants to be cranky. At Makus Empanadas it's less than $10 for 3 Empanadas, 1 side, 1 drink, and 1 sauce. Plus there's a child's meal for $4.95.

How is that expensive exactly? A single meal at Burger King now clock it at $9.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
when this joint has been open a month or more, then I'll give it a try, as one should any new food venture like these.

Until then, I'll just enjoy the devotees' defense of their mecca. And the "curmudgeons" who would blaspheme it.

heck, in 2 months the hipsters will have moved on, or so I'm told?

Old 09-10-2018, 02:50 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
when this joint has been open a month or more, then I'll give it a try, as one should any new food venture like these.

Until then, I'll just enjoy the devotees' defense of their mecca. And the "curmudgeons" who would blaspheme it.

Haha if the hipsters are still around in 2 months, chances are it's probably really good.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:50 PM

259 posts, read 243,196 times
Quote:
Oak city fish and chips was the WORST fish and chips I have ever had. Corn meal with the skin still on, gross.
I've always been suspicious about the quality of their offerings from their food truck and think they exist to cash in on the food truck craze. In any case my co-worker was extremely disappointed when she tried their food truck.

I made my first trip to the food hall last week and got food from Sasool and pork belly slider from The Broth. I enjoyed both. I am also pleased that we now have a second option for Indian food in Downtown. I'd love to try Ramen from the Broth. Not sure when I will go back since quite a few of these vendors don't really appeal to me or I think I can get better offerings elsewhere.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Ate here on Saturday and I felt bad for the staff that was serving customers. That said, the food hall as such warrants a trip to DT Raleigh, however, if in the area and in need for a bite(especially if it involves folks with varying dietary restrictions and choices) at a late hour, I wouldn't mind visiting.
We had a plate of egg tacos and a falafel wrap. Not enough food for the price and the taste was nothing to write home about. Sasool makes good middle eastern food but I prefer other places.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Better food? Idk im not picky on what I eat. I am picky when it comes to quality and from what I had none were worth the crowds or the price. I'm not saying it's all bad but what we had was not great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
Fish skin is good eating. Sound like you like boring, bland food. Morgan Street Food Hall is not, not, not, not, not a Hipster Haven--nobody in the joint is breaking new ground, nobody is serving expensive ingredients, chefs and sous chefs aren't running around trying to make perfect dishes. Morgan Street Food Hall is just an incredible upgrade in lunch options in a downtown Raleigh food desert, the fact that you call a Hipster Haven tells me you don't know what you're taking about.

If you want a hipster food hall the TimeOut Food Hall in Lisbon, Portugal is the place. Every vendor has professional chefs cranking out gourmet meals using exotic ingredients and techniques.
Thats your assessment because I dont like fish skin? Even though 99%+ of fried fish does not contain skin since it's the preference of people who eat it. Sounds like you like to eat gross things most people don't care for. I worked at a high end fish restaurant previously and there was very little fish skin left on dishes, especially fried. Perch because the fillets were too small to remove. Not much else. Whitefish, cod, tilapia are frequently fried and I cant think of a single place that keeps the skin on. Well besides Oak City fish and chips. Or maybe they are too lazy to remove it? Who knows.

I think you have zero clue about what you're talking about but whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
I think he just wants to be cranky. At Makus Empanadas it's less than $10 for 3 Empanadas, 1 side, 1 drink, and 1 sauce. Plus there's a child's meal for $4.95.

How is that expensive exactly? A single meal at Burger King now clock it at $9.
Im actually not cranky at all. Didnt try the empanadas but I really like calavera but think they are closed or reopening or something. Did I specifically mention the empanada place was expensive, or did you read between the lines? From what our group tried it was pricey for what we received. We didn't try everything. Does that make it more clear for you?

I would rather spend the money at Bartaco, salt and lime, pickled onion, cowfish, bad daddys, wahlburgers, and many other restaurants. As I said not picky at all, just didn't care for this place. Crowds need to die down and need to find a better restaurant. Poorly designed imo when traffic is high.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:14 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Ditto. Bartaco is kind of hipster and the crowds are insane but they literally have the best tacos ever. Pork belly are to die for.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Better food? Idk im not picky on what I eat. I am picky when it comes to quality and from what I had none were worth the crowds or the price. I'm not saying it's all bad but what we had was not great.

Thats your assessment because I dont like fish skin? Even though 99%+ of fried fish does not contain skin since it's the preference of people who eat it. Sounds like you like to eat gross things most people don't care for. I worked at a high end fish restaurant previously and there was very little fish skin left on dishes, especially fried. Perch because the fillets were too small to remove. Not much else. Whitefish, cod, tilapia are frequently fried and I cant think of a single place that keeps the skin on. Well besides Oak City fish and chips. Or maybe they are too lazy to remove it? Who knows.

I think you have zero clue about what you're talking about but whatever

Im actually not cranky at all. Didnt try the empanadas but I really like calavera but think they are closed or reopening or something. Did I specifically mention the empanada place was expensive, or did you read between the lines? From what our group tried it was pricey for what we received. We didn't try everything. Does that make it more clear for you?

I would rather spend the money at Bartaco, salt and lime, pickled onion, cowfish, bad daddys, wahlburgers, and many other restaurants. As I said not picky at all, just didn't care for this place. Crowds need to die down and need to find a better restaurant. Poorly designed imo when traffic is high.

I'm not defending Oak City. I think they're subpar but fish skin is a popular ingredient in Asia and skin-on fish as well. Doesn't sound like you really worked anywhere that exciting. Overpriced seafood restaurants doesn't mean high end.

Also, Bad Daddys, Wahlburgers, Cowfish are all chain restaurants that sell burgers. All of which sell burgers for more than $10+ (with one side). A Bad Daddy's Bad Ass Burger is $13.99 for example. Walburger's 'The Our Burger $7.95 plus $3.50! for their french fries. Cowfish's cheapest burger is the 'Bare Bone' burger at $12!

Don't forget Bad Daddy's, Walhburger, and Cowfish are chain restaurants with servers so you have to add tip! You don't have to tip at a food hall.

What you're telling me is that, in fact, you really like overpriced chain restaurants where it costs $15+ a person to eat at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary