Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
What's the name of this joint? I'd love to check it out when i'm back in Chicago?
Max's Take Out at Adams & Wabash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's pretty much a hipster expensive trendy foodcourt. There are a few here in Chicago and a burger and fries costs $20. Meanwhile, the non-trendy hole-in-the-wall burger joint down the street has a cheeseburger combo with fries and a drink for $6.99.

Pretty much. A non-food court, food court. For people too cool for the mall! Lol.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:52 PM

459 posts, read 373,532 times
Quote:
It's pretty much a hipster expensive trendy foodcourt. There are a few here in Chicago and a burger and fries costs $20. Meanwhile, the non-trendy hole-in-the-wall burger joint down the street has a cheeseburger combo with fries and a drink for $6.99.
Comparing a tourist destination like Chicago with 55 million recorded visitors to a city like Raleigh is almost no leisure tourism?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Max's Take Out at Adams & Wabash
Thanks i'll check it out.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:31 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,185,380 times
I love food halls. We had several in NYC and it's a great way to check out lots of "famous" or trendy options in one space. I've been waiting a long time for this place to open. It will definitely be a welcome addition to downtown.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:12 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Most of the food hall vendors are normally local businesses or at least local chains (Cousins is the exception here) - not exactly the case at a mall food court with your typical Chick-Fil-A, Sbarro and japanese hibachi with people handing out free samples of teriyaki chicken.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:16 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Most of the food hall vendors are normally local businesses or at least local chains (Cousins is the exception here) - not exactly the case at a mall food court with your typical Chick-Fil-A, Sbarro and japanese hibachi with people handing out free samples of teriyaki chicken.
In high school we used to make a meal out of free samples at the food court. Good times.

Now I want some bourbon chicken.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
I was in Philadelphia for a multi-day beer conference and went to this one for lunch every day. It was packed all the time.

https://readingterminalmarket.org/

Old 07-12-2018, 08:14 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
If it is higher-priced, Hipster-ish, etc. then I think it is destined to fail. It's counter to why these place are successful elsewhere.

They way it works all over Asia is these are cheap places, everywhere, for some almost a weekly eventuality, full of variety, a nice break from more formal places, and many have some of the best examples of their style of food. In fact some have global recognition: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-of-a-big-mac so doesn't have to be hip or expensive to be good.

When there I grew to visit them less and less, and actually didn't care much for that kind of food or atmosphere, but was spoiled for choices and on occasion they both serve a purpose and are a good alternative. Some families would go there rather than cook at home, they can be that inexpensive.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:47 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
If it is higher-priced, Hipster-ish, etc. then I think it is destined to fail. It's counter to why these place are successful elsewhere.

They way it works all over Asia is these are cheap places, everywhere, for some almost a weekly eventuality, full of variety, a nice break from more formal places, and many have some of the best examples of their style of food. In fact some have global recognition: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...e-of-a-big-mac so doesn't have to be hip or expensive to be good.

When there I grew to visit them less and less, and actually didn't care much for that kind of food or atmosphere, but was spoiled for choices and on occasion they both serve a purpose and are a good alternative. Some families would go there rather than cook at home, they can be that inexpensive.
The packed food halls in Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo that I visited during my trip in June beg to differ (that served $20 USD burgers)

Torvehallerne in Copenhagen - https://torvehallernekbh.dk/ (you'll need to Google Translate this one)
Copenhagen Street Food - https://reffen.dk/en/food/
Ostermalm's in Stockholm - Östermalms Saluhall
Mathallen in Oslo - https://mathallenoslo.no/en/

I know what you're talking about with Asian food halls/markets but it's just testament to the fact that both models can work. People like food and will gravitate to any place that serves good food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary