Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:28 AM

61 posts, read 51,283 times

Advertisements

For normal day to day activity you aren't going to need a repellent. I say this as one of those people that mosquitoes apparently find irresistible.

HOWEVER

If you are going to be in the woods, brush, etc rethink your aversion to DEET. Tick bites, between Lyme disease and Alpha-Gal, are far more of a concern than using DEET.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Me, I just wear lightweight long pants and long sleeves if I'm working in the yard. Don't have too much problem with bugs elsewhere but my yard is very shady and they love it.
What do you do about your neck, face and head? I've been wearing long pants and shirts now when I have to do yard work etc but then I get bit all over my head!! My husband bought me some of these mosquito head nets like in the link and although I do wear them in the backyard when working I will not go out front with them....lol!

https://www.amazon.com/Warm-Sport-Mo...33471582&psc=1

Old 07-20-2018, 06:05 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrd View Post
If you are searching for a mosquito repellent for protection while in your own yard, I want to be sure you have seen a recent post by TabbyCats about a new mosquito killer, Spartan Mosquito Eradicator.

I’ve just put some in my yard and haven’t had time to see how well they work for myself, but in addition to TabbyCats' positive review, they are getting a high rate of user’s positive reviews on the internet.

I’m interested in this product because it is based in part on work done in Asia and Africa by the Gates Foundation and others. I've been following this work for a few years. Given its low cost I’m also hoping others in the Triangle will try it and post their results. I will trust reviews of local City/Data users more than those on the internet. There are two local sources: Southern States in Creedmoor and Carrboro.
We bought some a couple weeks ago from Southern States and just got around to putting them out a few days ago. The problem is we are a little late in the season but I still hope to see some reduction.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I've tried many types of insect repellents. The most effective "natural", "herbal", "organic", "feel good" repellents contain oil lemon of eucalyptus. Repel is the most widely available brand. No other herbal repellents hold a candle to it.

This year I've been using mostly picaridin based repellents and receive very few bites when using it. I spend a great deal of time outdoors and the mosquitoes in our neighborhood will pick you up and carry you away.
I would give repel a try, it stinks like mad but is supposed to work.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Can anyone recommend organic types of bug repellant that will work on mosquitoes, etc. I won’t use Deet on my body so I need some alternatives. Thanks!
I have been using and recommending this product for 3 years. We have West Nile mosquitoes where I live in the Dakotas. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Repel-Lem...3=5806&veh=sem
I have used the cutter or Repel brands. But, it is homeopathic, so likely any brand of that combination of fragrances will work.

It has even been recommended by CDC as a product that works, and does not contain deet. I use it on my dog too. It smells pleasant, and is not messy on your clothes.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
What do you do about your neck, face and head? I've been wearing long pants and shirts now when I have to do yard work etc but then I get bit all over my head!! My husband bought me some of these mosquito head nets like in the link and although I do wear them in the backyard when working I will not go out front with them....lol!
Well, they bother me a little bit around my face, but not too bad. They seem to really like my legs a lot, but the long pants are good at thwarting them.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Thanks so muc to everyone for your great suggestions, they will be very helpful to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary