Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 PM

253 posts, read 236,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I fly that much. If the choice is a connection on the airline where I have status (high probability that I will get a seat in the front) or a nonstop flight on an airline where I have no status (certainty that I will sit in the back, with a possibility I will be stuck in a middle seat on a six-hour flight), I've taken the connection.
Same. Delta or bust. (I also don't mind connecting in Atlanta, and usually take the RDU-ATL-LAX flight out and direct back just because I hate getting up early to take the direct to LAX. Also, extra segment for skymiles!)

Quote:
Does anyone know a place that lists the dimensions for your personal item for Delta? I can find the carry-on baggage dimensions on Delta's site, but not the personal item. They just say "1 purse, briefcase, camera bag or diaper bag or 1 laptop computer (computers cannot be checked) or 1 item of a similar or smaller size to those listed above". If I take my computer I usually put it in my backpack. Would that work? It's not huge.
I don't think there is an actual size limit on Delta. Backpack's fine. I usually do a small rolling carry-on suitcase and a large laptop bag or small backpack. Just don't be that guy that puts your backpack in the overhead bins instead of under your seat if the plane is completely full. I will judge you for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Ok good to know, Georgiacat!

We're coming back on United and they do specify 17 x 10 x 9 for your personal item which seems a wee bit on the wee side. The 10 inch width specifically. The 12 inches BA gives works a lot better for the bag I want to take.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:59 PM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
You mean the Heathrow nonstop? Really? I've done that flight about 175 times this decade. It's fine in business class. It's much improved in coach since AA went to the 777 year-round. I'd much rather be in the 777 than the 757 that Delta flies to CDG in the off-seaosn.
I don't get to fly business. I have taken the AA once and it was just not a fun experience. Food was horrible, whiskey is not complimentary and limited seat space. Oh, and mechanical issue caused my flight to be delayed by a day. I take Delta into NYC and then take Virgin.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:25 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
I don't get to fly business. I have taken the AA once and it was just not a fun experience. Food was horrible, whiskey is not complimentary and limited seat space. Oh, and mechanical issue caused my flight to be delayed by a day. I take Delta into NYC and then take Virgin.
If you're stuck in the 10-abreast portion of the AA 777, I see your point. The 777 was really meant for 9-abreast.

Beware, however, that Virgin Atlantic is not immune from this trend. As they send their 747s and older Airbus aircraft to scrap, the newer ones will have tighter seating. The Virgin 787s have 9-abreast in a cabin designed for 8-abreast, and rumor says the new A350s will have 9-abreast instead of 8-abreast on the older Airbus models. As bad as AA, in other words.

Any airline can have a mechanical problem. There are many flights JFK-LHR, but the tradeoff is getting delayed at JFK especially in winter.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:42 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
We flew to LHR on British Airways out of Dulles. It was a fine flight although packed and I couldn't sleep. I think it was a 787. We were on the side going and in the middle coming back. Horrible turbulence coming back.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM

205 posts, read 182,640 times
So Ive got same status level on both American (Gold) and Delta (Silver). Any preference for nonstop to LAX?

Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Can't speak to Delta's program, but Gold on American isn't worth much. The Advantage program becomes useful at Platinum, lucrative at Executive Platinum, and fabulous at ConciergeKey. I've been at all four.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 AM

119 posts, read 90,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
This ^^^ I fly international to a destination which has a direct flight from Raleigh, however, I always Delta because I have status with Delta and because AA is just horrible.
I almost always fly Delta as well for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that they seem to handle delays more effectively than other carriers. My flight home last week was delayed for several hours due to mechanical issues, and they made every effort to keep passengers updated frequently, and bought lunch in the terminal for everyone waiting. That small gesture went a long way.

And, Sky Class is a decent upgrade from the standard coach, in terms of leg room, at a modest up-charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary