Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:17 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would keep the insurance in MN and have the insurance company indicate on the policy that the car is temporarily garaged in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:27 AM

385 posts, read 348,583 times
For sure talk to your insurance agent. I am having an issue now because I had my mail forwarded to me while on vacation. Could effect your voting as well. People looking for excuses to hassle you over that.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:37 PM

422 posts, read 523,489 times
Opposite question here: currently out-of-state and NC registration will expire before my return. Car is currently parked off-street in Durham County. Got the paperwork from NC-DMV in the mail (forwarded by USPS). When I try to log in using the 7 integer License # (3 letters + 4 digits) and the last 5 digits of the Title Number, the system will not let me in. No error message, just no access. I am using the two sets of characters showing in red on the renewal notice.
I do see a message on the notice about "NC Inspection Required". Could that be the log-in problem? Does vehicle inspection link to the DMV, so that they know that it hasn't been done it yet? Thanks.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:39 PM

428 posts, read 810,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
You should never have your insurance and vehicle registration in different states. Most insurance companies can cancel your coverage for this.

The problem is that the insurance company reports this information to the state, so MN will think you no longer have insurance and NC will be confused because they'll see insurance for a vehicle that isn't registered in NC.

Keep everything Minnesota and if you are ever pulled over, just say you are in NC for temporary work and maintain a permanent residence in Minnesota.

The problem is that my MN insurance guy was not licensed in NC so he could not continue auto insurance for me while I am in NC.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prumio View Post
Opposite question here: currently out-of-state and NC registration will expire before my return. Car is currently parked off-street in Durham County. Got the paperwork from NC-DMV in the mail (forwarded by USPS). When I try to log in using the 7 integer License # (3 letters + 4 digits) and the last 5 digits of the Title Number, the system will not let me in. No error message, just no access. I am using the two sets of characters showing in red on the renewal notice.
I do see a message on the notice about "NC Inspection Required". Could that be the log-in problem? Does vehicle inspection link to the DMV, so that they know that it hasn't been done it yet? Thanks.
Yes. The systems are linked. You need the NC inspection before the registration system will let you in. Once inspected, you can usually register in a matter of minutes. My wife had the same issue today. She likes to wait until the last minute for everything. Thankfully she was able to get the inspection at a Jiffy Lube, and will register tonight. The tag sticker usually comes pretty quickly. I got mine in less than a week.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:00 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
yes. we've been required to get inspection first before license renewal for a while now. the system won't let you renew registration until they've received/processed the updated inspection.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
yes. we've been required to get inspection first before license renewal for a while now. the system won't let you renew registration until they've received/processed the updated inspection.
A good thing too. No inspection sticker. No obstruction of vision, plus the guys always did a sloppy job of removing the old one and sticking on the new one

Old 07-27-2018, 03:12 PM

422 posts, read 523,489 times
Thanks for the feedback. Here in Texas, it works similarly. with both insurance and inspection tied to the vehicle registration. But you can log in to see what's missing.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Here in Texas, it works similarly. with both insurance and inspection tied to the vehicle registration. But you can log in to see what's missing.
Not sure, but I just got a renewal notice in the mail. I'll check later unless somebody beats me too it. I don't have the numbers at arm length right now.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:06 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
My renewal notice was sitting on the coffee table, so I decided to try (I haven't gotten my inspection yet).

I went to the login page, entered my tag number and last 5 of my title number and clicked "Get Started". It took me right back to the same page, but above the "Get Started" button, it now said in red:

Quote:
To renew, vehicle must pass inspection within 90 days of renewal date. Questions? Call 877-421-0020 (M-F, 8 am-5 pm EST)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary