Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 12:57 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The camera can fib to you. Post-processing can flat-out lie to you.
Market standard at this point is to greatly overexpose photos to make houses seem "Light and Bright."
I have been in a couple of caves lately where the photos are completely misleading.

Was in one last week where the listing agent/photographer had photoshopped a couple of chandeliers into the photos in a DR and MBR, where none existed, and not even a ceiling light box.
Kinda creepy ethical posture.
I have seen those photos and that is some seriously weird business.

I'm all for Photoshop "staging" a house to give people an idea about how it would look furnished if it's empty, but adding permanent fixtures that don't exist is unethical.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallTucker View Post
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-36108?view=qv

Here is similar square footage in 5 Points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sorry - next time I'll go with a pizza thread or a transplant driving thread.

Following real estate is interesting to me, and I happened to stumble on this house which I personally think is priced high. i was curious if others agree, or if I'm just out of touch with current pricing.
I'd say that the asking price is a bit optimistic, but not enough to raise eyebrows. Its a big lot, in a good location. And the home is generally tasteful and elegant...I'm not super picky about these things but there was only one decorative touch (and maybe one thing that needed updating) that struck me as "odd." And, the house itself, just the bricks and sticks, what would that cost to build if you had an empty lot sitting there? It isn't exactly a Double Wide.

The five points home MarshallTucker listed is the one that I think is way more out of whack. But again, I'm not a professional, just seems that in that neighborhood you can get more for your $.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The camera can fib to you. Post-processing can flat-out lie to you.
Market standard at this point is to greatly overexpose photos to make houses seem "Light and Bright."
I have been in a couple of caves lately where the photos are completely misleading.

Was in one last week where the listing agent/photographer had photoshopped a couple of chandeliers into the photos in a DR and MBR, where none existed, and not even a ceiling light box.
Kinda creepy ethical posture.
That's almost the type of move that would make you move on from a house.

I get the whole "light and bright" thing. We do the same thing with our family photos. But that's another level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Just wait until Apple comes (well...if they do). Houses that were $300K pre Apple in Cupertino (30+ years old, under 3K SF with a 6500SF lot) are now close to $3M or more. However at least in California you are protected by Prop 13 so your assessed value is determined by the selling price of your home and then can only be increased marginally each year. So just imagine buying a home in NC thinking that your property tax will be around $3000K/yr and then bam...... $30K/year.

And the mortgage on a $600K home is nowhere near the amount you referenced. Plus a lot of people will put more than 20% down.
We moved here from Syracuse NY, where our house, assessed at $125K for taxation (market value $150K,) cost us $3600 in taxes annually. Our new house here, at a $360,00 cost, will yield an annual tax bill of about $3,000. A $350,000 house in the Syracuse suburbs (comparable to a similarly priced house in North Raleigh north of 540) generally has an annual tax burden of $14K to $16K. That is not the mortgage payment - just the taxes. And people wonder why we moved here... (in truth it was the better weather and better economy, but the lower taxes don't hurt!

Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM

21,912 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Oh give me a break. Gossipy?

I had no idea people would be so butt hurt over this thread lol.
Don't worry about it. I too am interested in following the market. After looking for 12 years, I finally found a house that I want to put in an offer on. But it's 20% overpriced so I started a thread about it. Someone got all offended and said I wasn't serious so I shouldn't even be looking at it and wasting the realtor's time.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:04 PM

21,912 posts, read 9,486,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
for the amateurs, Zillow has it's value more like the OP believes. Redfin has its value near asking price. Perhaps this Seller is more an aficionado of Redfin than Zillow, and used that to price the home.
Zillow is useless. In my area, it is using comps that are 10 years old.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:27 PM

138 posts, read 119,441 times
Why this particular house? At least this house looks decent, built by a reputed builder with a nice big lot in a good location with great schools.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:21 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTISD View Post
Why this particular house? At least this house looks decent, built by a reputed builder with a nice big lot in a good location with great schools.
Here's why:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1780/age-20+30

Edit: edited for house age

Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Zillow is useless. In my area, it is using comps that are 10 years old.
I love Zillow! It says my house is worth $50K more than it actually is (and $50K more than my similarly sized neighbor's houses). If only!

Old 07-31-2018, 04:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
We moved here from Syracuse NY, where our house, assessed at $125K for taxation (market value $150K,) cost us $3600 in taxes annually. Our new house here, at a $360,00 cost, will yield an annual tax bill of about $3,000. A $350,000 house in the Syracuse suburbs (comparable to a similarly priced house in North Raleigh north of 540) generally has an annual tax burden of $14K to $16K. That is not the mortgage payment - just the taxes. And people wonder why we moved here... (in truth it was the better weather and better economy, but the lower taxes don't hurt!
Can you please post an example of a property in No. Raleigh at $350,000 with those taxes ? thx

Old 07-31-2018, 04:11 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Can you please post an example of a property in No. Raleigh at $350,000 with those taxes ? thx
They're referring to Syracuse - not N. Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary