Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:45 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times

Advertisements

Hello! Hoping for some opinions on areas to look at as I begin to research real estate prices in the Raleigh area for a career move.

About us:
We are late 30's, with no kids. My max comfortable budget is $450k, but we will be approved for more. I'd prefer to be around (or under) 350k ish. We also prefer something newer, built in the last ten years, but most of the inventory I see looks modern anyway.

Looking for 1700+ sq ft, 3+ beds, 2.5+ baths. Willing to consider town homes, as long as we could fence in a small yard for our little dog.

We do not need excellent schools, but I don't want to be in the WORST district either (for resale purposes).

Concerned about finding a safe enough area, but we are coming from some way bigger and pricier cities. However, the Raleigh property prices are similar to my hometown, except I'm from a higher property tax state. Also hope to have a Target or Walmart within a 5-10 min drive.

Can anyone recommend any particular cities/zip codes to look into? Any to avoid?

Job would be near North Carolina State University, so prefer to be within 35-40 mins of that during rush hours.

Thanks for any opinions, we appreciate it. We know nothing about Raleigh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
It depends on the type of people you are that will determine where you will live.

For my wife and I, we have no kids, but if we moved to Raleigh today we would pick North Raleigh near Durant nature park. It is much less hectic and calm even during the day and still offers a fairly convenient drive to general shopping. We are in NE Raleigh which was fine a decade ago but the 30 min commute to RTP has become one hour +.

However I am not too familiar with areas near RTP, just that when I've driven over there even during normal times (not rush hour) I go nuts. Crabtree is just crazy, I just can't handle it!

Old 08-05-2018, 03:56 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
Thanks for the response, it would be nice to be near a nature park!

I usually look at Google Maps on my laptop to see what commute times are like, that area may be a little far for us.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Look at the Brier Creek area of Raleigh and portions of Cary.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:02 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
With your parameters (inc. no kids), you could live almost anywhere in Raleigh/Cary you really want. Zips 27604-27609 and 27611-20613 would be a good place to start, all a reasonably easy drive to work or Target. Or live in the University Park neighborhood and walk or bike to work and the new mini-Target... . As mentioned by wheels up, it comes down to what kind of people you are, I.e. what existence you are seeking. Google map away and tell us more...

Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 PM

171 posts, read 143,137 times
I would look at the Western Boulevard corridor west of Blue Ridge Road. There are alot of new builds in the area, it's rapidly being redeveloped. It's very convenient to NCSU, and the Target at Crossroads is a 5-10 minute drive away.

There are some public improvement projects happening nearby, the BRT on Western and 440 widening on that section of the beltline, but you could probably avoid the negative traffic impacts once you learn the local roads. The upside is that once those improvements are finished the area should be even hotter than it is now, giving you a good return.

I'd look in 27606 to just south of Tryon Road. That area is probably going to be 10-15 mins to NCSU any time of the day.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 AM

38 posts, read 57,154 times
What about Planter's Walk in Knightdale? My wife and I purchased a house there before moving from Canada so sight unseen and love the neighborhood . Within 5 mins of this area is Target, Kohls, Walmart, Homedepot, Lowes, Starbucks, Etc. Houses are generally between $220 - 260 for a 2200 - 2500sq. 3 bath, 4 Bed on .25acre lot. Mingo Creek Trail is walking distance, Neuse River trail is 10 mins away along with Knightdale Station Park. These are older homes since the neighborhood was built in the early 90's but we are renovating it to suit our tastes since we saved so much and pretty much no crime.

Another area was La Costa Way Rd (old river ridge), nice houses and prices around 300 - 350+. If your a golfer the area is built right around a course so it's a nice bonus. Large lots about .5 acres+ but it's not close to many conveniences. A grocery store is within 3 miles.

My last recommendation would be Edenburgh's keep in Knightdale, nice houses 300+ neighborhood it may be getting close to being a little far for you. These were the 3 areas we decided to keep an eye when we were shopping.

Last edited by Scotsman2; 08-06-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
with a budget of (at least) $200/sqft, no kids, and late 30's .... you shouldn't have to commute anything close to 30 minutes even.

However, if you're intent on the house age (as opposed to older, but having all major systems and roof < 10 years old), then you will have to commute further.

You can definitely get into the NE part of Cary for that price tag, amenity location, and a great commute to State. But the house will likely be > 10 yrs old.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:21 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
with a budget of (at least) $200/sqft, no kids, and late 30's .... you shouldn't have to commute anything close to 30 minutes even.

However, if you're intent on the house age (as opposed to older, but having all major systems and roof < 10 years old), then you will have to commute further.

You can definitely get into the NE part of Cary for that price tag, amenity location, and a great commute to State. But the house will likely be > 10 yrs old.
Agree with this.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:10 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Look at the Brier Creek area of Raleigh and portions of Cary.
If you choose Brier Creek, you would be close to Umstead Park. And Eno River State Park is not that far away. BC is by the airport. You might want to look at real estate near/in downtown Raleigh. Lots of things to do. Also, Cameron Village is a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary