Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 07:26 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times

Advertisements

Anybody know this place?

https://www.kingsredandwhite.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:05 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,176 times
Believe it or not, KING’S has a popular meat counter. There are people who combine a trip to KING’s (for the meat counter)and the nearby Compare Foods for Fruits and Veggies

Old 08-12-2018, 04:06 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
I took a drive there in Friday. Not A pretty place, but clean and well organized. Reminded me of a good ethic store, but with American foods. This place is NOT fancy.

But the meat counter and, to a lesser degree, the smallish produce area!
All the meat looked beautiful. Mostly (all?) cut on site (not cryovacced). Regular prices are reasonable, and sales prices were very good given the expectation that the meat would taste as good as it looked.

Angus beef ribeye steaks at $7.99 looked perfect, like a magazine photo. Cut to 3/4 inch thickness. Thinner than we prefer so I asked if they could cut me a couple that were thicker. Friendly reply from the butcher: "Sure! How many and how thick?" Done and wrapped in less than two minutes, with an offer to cut more of I didn't like those.

Decades ago, DH was a butcher and owned a butcher shop and a commercial meat packing house. He took one look at these steaks and began to drool. He was deeply in lust with those steaks, and I was concerned that he might be disappointed. Nope. Declared it the best piece of beef we've ever had at home, and better than some restaurants. Steak is not my favorite, but I gotta agree with him. (Full disclosure: neither of us think that aged beef at $22/pound is worth that price, so I'm not comparing that to this steak.)

Two thick pork chops at $1.99/lb are in the freezer. I'm expecting those to be great.

$1.99 each for larger than average seedless watermelons. $2.99 for 3 pound package of red cherries (small, but good flavor). $1.99/lb for Ranier cherries (!!!!!), but only a few left and they would have been delicious two days before. NC grown German Johnson tomatoes $1.99/lb.

HUGE variety of BBQ sauces - it's almost crazy how much shelf space they use for that stuff. The rest of the store is pretty non-descript and higher prices than Wal-Mart or regular grocery stores.

But that meat. OMG. And I'm not the only one who have discovered this place - there were some pretty posh looking women cruising the meat section (Chapel Hill matron like) who, evidently, 'risk' driving to a not-so-great Durham neighborhood.

VERY pleasant new find that will ease my Kroger withdrawal pains.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-12-2018 at 04:15 AM..

Old 08-12-2018, 02:28 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,293,756 times
They've been there for decades and what independent mom & pop grocery stores used to look like before chains. They used to have another location in Durham at University Rd & Dixon. The meat is excellent. As the old saying goes, "You can't judge a book by its cover!"

Old 08-12-2018, 05:34 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
I haven't been to that one, but I've always liked Red and White's. Smith's Red and White in Dortches is amazing. They're famous for homemade country sausage and Christmas candy. Their meats are great too. They even have their own restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary