Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 148,531 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am writing to find out what is the school cutoff date for durham and chapel hill schools for starting the school. Is it Aug/dec? anyone?

thanks
aa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_730 View Post
Hi

I am writing to find out what is the school cutoff date for durham and chapel hill schools for starting the school. Is it Aug/dec? anyone?

thanks
aa
The cutoff date is set by the state, not the county.
The date is currently 10/16. However, this is the last year. Starting with the 2008-2009 school year, the state cut off date will be August 31st. I feel *sorry* for parents with summer babies, when the cut off date was in October, folks generally felt "okay" sending their summer babies to school. Now that the cut off date will be in summer, I bet more summer babies will be held back.
There are many threads out there discussing the cut off date, etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:19 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
I have a summer baby and I don't feel sorry for me! I will go by the cutoff date unless there is compelling reason to do otherwise (not just to give my child "the edge"!). I personally think parents should have to send their children if they are old enough unless they can show the child has had some sort of formal evaluation which says s/he should be held back.

Oh, btw, most of the private schools in the area have a 6/1 cutoff.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 AM

104 posts, read 377,023 times
Just for my own info, if parents want to send their kid in earlier than the school system suggests, is that possible? When my family moved from Chicago, I was reading 2 grades ahead and doing math 4 grades ahead and still my parents had to appeal to the principal to prevent me repeating a grade because I am a November baby. In Chicago the cutoff was Dec. 31 (maybe it still is). If I was in their position and I had a bright child, I would not want my child held back just because of an arbitrary date. Also, how do they handle skipping of grades? If a child is obviously advanced, is it an option here?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 AM

There is a way to start early, although I don't know the process--hopefully someone here can help. I know this though b/c there was a girl in my child's K class who had just turned 4. She was extremely bright (was reading before starting school and like I said had JUST turned 4) and they let her start. I know she had to test in, but I don't know the exact process.

I don't think they have kids skip grades anymore. Not that I've heard of anyway. It's pretty disruptive for the child socially to be moved around like that. What they do, is identify the child as gifted--there are different levels of gifted most of them not really meaning gifted, but more "smart" (I think the parents like the label though). They get pulled from class and given extra work to do, etc. Then there is the true gifted program, which is only at a couple of schools. These kids have to achieve 99% or higher on the standardized tests and still have more protocol to follow before being offered a spot. They can then go into the gifted program with the other kids.

It's worth noting that many parents whose children qualify for the gifted program do not send them. It means changing schools in many cases, and also creates this air of superiority (it is said...) with the kids. I know several people who felt it was better for their child to be in the regular classes and did not move their kids.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:40 AM

104 posts, read 377,023 times
Default questions for the future

Thanks frogandtoad! I don't have children yet but we're thinking about the next 5 years and I feel conflicted...if I wind up staying in NC I am tempted to move to Carrboro (lived there for 2 yrs and liked it). I taught HS briefly in Charlotte and hated the way public schools have been forced to behave in the past 10 years and so I am looking at homeschooling or private school but I think public school is best for producing a socially adapted kid. I just worry about the misbehaving kids in public school who are simply in school because they have to be. It seems like the AG, AP, IB classes shelter kids from that in the classroom but not overall. I'm a product of the IB program and at the time it was only a HS curriculum. I don't know if that's changed or not. Looking in from the outside, educating your kids looks like it's a choice of the least worse...not the best of the best. Am I just reacting to the news feed?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
The cutoff date is set by the state, not the county.
The date is currently 10/16. However, this is the last year. Starting with the 2008-2009 school year, the state cut off date will be August 31st. I feel *sorry* for parents with summer babies, when the cut off date was in October, folks generally felt "okay" sending their summer babies to school. Now that the cut off date will be in summer, I bet more summer babies will be held back.
There are many threads out there discussing the cut off date, etc.
The cut off date in MA is set by the school district and most districts have gone by the 8/31 cut off date. I have one July baby and did not hold him back. However, when we moved here, I discovered that a lot of parents did hold their spring and summer babies out to give them that "edge" whatever that was! My daughter is a September baby and we don't have the option of enrolling them early and in a way I was glad--there was no decision as there was with the July child.

If/when we get down to NC, this will be an advantage for my 8th grader (July child) as he is one of the youngest in his class right now. He will be the last to turn 16.5 (driving age), etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I have a summer baby and I don't feel sorry for me! I will go by the cutoff date unless there is compelling reason to do otherwise (not just to give my child "the edge"!). I personally think parents should have to send their children if they are old enough unless they can show the child has had some sort of formal evaluation which says s/he should be held back.

Oh, btw, most of the private schools in the area have a 6/1 cutoff.
The Catholic schools and every Christian school uses 10/16 (at least for now). I think St. Timothy's may use a June cutoff date..that is the only one I can think of right now..

I really do think there will be a lot more folks holding their kids back. With an October cutoff date, the parents of September and October (been there) were often encouraged to hold their kids back, give them the edge, w/e. Time will tell.

\

Old 04-02-2008, 11:40 AM

That may be. I was talking about private schools not affiliated with religion in the Chapel Hill/Durham area (like Duke School, Durham Academy, EWS, etc).

Quote:
The Catholic schools and every Christian school uses 10/16 (at least for now). I think St. Timothy's may use a June cutoff date..that is the only one I can think of right now..

I really do think there will be a lot more folks holding their kids back. With an October cutoff date, the parents of September and October (been there) were often encouraged to hold their kids back, give them the edge, w/e. Time will tell.

\

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Quote:

\
If a child is coming from another state's school system and is born after the cutoff, will they have to repeat a grade they just finished?

Here's our story. My daughter's b-day is 10/25. For Florida standards, she's after the cutoff of 9/1. But she was at a preschool that had a program for the kids that missed the cutoff. Florida law states that a child had to be 5 for kindergarten and 6 for 1st grade. It says nothing about 2nd grade. So we had her at her preschool's kindergarten/1st grade program for 2 years and she just started public school 2nd grade this past fall. She was admitted to our district's gifted program, but I noticed on the paperwork they were going to stick her in 1st grade. I had them correct that real quick!

Will North Carolina say that she has to repeat 2nd grade? Or will she be able to go on to 3rd grade? My daughter's teacher has proposed for her to repeat 2nd grade for social reasons, but she's making A's and B's for her classwork. We live in an area where redshirting is commonplace; so of course she's going to seem sooo much younger compared to the rest of the kids because they were 8 years of age when they started 2nd grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary