Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 12:27 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,216,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Also, do you think they charge more through insurance which is why they encourage it? E.g. you say insurance from the beginning, the invoice is padded because they know you would never pay that much paying on your own (and the homeowner doesnt care because it isn't their money- they might assume the more expensive estimate is higher quality by default).
I have no idea. I'm guessing the insurance companies determine the amount covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 12:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,249,455 times
There was a discussion on this in a local Nextdoor. Another problem is that these “storm chasers” also won’t stand behind their work. They simply won’t be here if there is a warranty issue down the road.

One house on our street was getting a roof replaced and I stopped by (thought there was some accident and they might need help). The owner was there and he said the company inspected the roof and found “hail damage”. What hail? We live on the same street. Some magical hail fell just on his house and not on any other roofs?

If insurance companies wanted to wise up about this it’s not that hard to connect the dots. We’re with Erie and they have been raising prices every year too. If someone had no change in HO insurance in 7 years I really want to know your policy holders name.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:35 PM

To the person who anonymously DM'd me via the reputation function (nice one), I never said that there aren't legitimate roof damage claims. If I had a 5 year old roof and quarter sized hail came through, you can be sure I'd be getting it checked out and making a claim if there was damage. That's what insurance is for - it is not, however, for doing routine home maintenance that you signed up for when you purchased a house.

The best is when people get their "hail damage" repaired right before they put their house on the market. Saw a couple of those recently.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:12 AM

2,924 posts, read 3,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
There was a discussion on this in a local Nextdoor. Another problem is that these “storm chasers” also won’t stand behind their work. They simply won’t be here if there is a warranty issue down the road.

One house on our street was getting a roof replaced and I stopped by (thought there was some accident and they might need help). The owner was there and he said the company inspected the roof and found “hail damage”. What hail? We live on the same street. Some magical hail fell just on his house and not on any other roofs?

If insurance companies wanted to wise up about this it’s not that hard to connect the dots. We’re with Erie and they have been raising prices every year too. If someone had no change in HO insurance in 7 years I really want to know your policy holders name.
Previous owner of our home had the roof done through insurance related to storm damage. There was an issue and I spent hours/weeks trying to get the company to respond.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:30 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 9 days ago)

43,095 posts, read 76,681,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Previous owner of our home had the roof done through insurance related to storm damage. There was an issue and I spent hours/weeks trying to get the company to respond.
Yup.
But the roofer probably "paid their deductible," so all is good.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 AM

6,802 posts, read 9,005,897 times
I still find it hard to believe that a hail storm can damage an asphalt roof enough that the whole thing needs replaced. I just dont know who to trust for an inspection.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 AM

927 posts, read 1,453,880 times
About a week ago I ended up with a new roof on my house with an insurance claim.

One thing I figured out was some of these companies do not want to go through insurance because they are shady themselves.
Empire State roofing refuse to work with Allstate.
On the other hand authentic restoration handles most of the go-between with the insurance company and got it handled.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:03 AM

6,802 posts, read 9,005,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
About a week ago I ended up with a new roof on my house with an insurance claim.

One thing I figured out was some of these companies do not want to go through insurance because they are shady themselves.
Empire State roofing refuse to work with Allstate.
On the other hand authentic restoration handles most of the go-between with the insurance company and got it handled.
Can you recommend some authentic restoration companies? It is frustrating trying to find one.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:05 AM

4,297 posts, read 5,954,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Can you recommend some authentic restoration companies? It is frustrating trying to find one.
I think they really did mean Authentic Restoration.

https://authenticrestoration.biz

Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 AM

Not a local company just fyi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary