Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,257,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Driving at night while raining is pretty much out for me these days. Especially on unfamiliar roads.
i do feel like this is something that gets worse with age. I've always had vision problems (nearsighted), but the older I get the harder it is in the dark/rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 07:09 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
i do feel like this is something that gets worse with age.
I think so definitely. I had some serious issues with a retina in 2015, and it left me with some central vision loss in that eye. It plays tricks on me at night, so I try to be where I'm going to be before nightfall. It just comes with age I reckon.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 AM

6,651 posts, read 5,578,303 times
Don't worry - this 26 year old sometimes can't see pavement markings around here in the rain as well

Old 08-17-2018, 08:58 AM

6,373 posts, read 5,480,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Don't worry - this 26 year old sometimes can't see pavement markings around here in the rain as well
Nor can this 29 year old!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,917,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Nor can this 29 year old!
I'm feeling a little better now. Thanks guys

Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 AM

1,228 posts, read 795,976 times
If you need to get a fix of Shadenfreude this weekend, head over to Cameron Village. On second thought, please don’t. The lane markings and crosswalk paint have completely worn off of Cameron Street. It is like one broad paved Schlitterbahn, and a sick, sadistic game of ******* walking around there, dodging dockless scooters along the sidewalks, the “____ who ‘lunch’ “ crowd driving big hulking SUVs with one hand and a cell phone in another along the streets, all while the new State students and their parents arrive into the “big city” for move in... I stocked up supplies at the Harris Teeter like an “ice storm hurricane” was coming, just so I can avoid the area through Labor Day. At least double coupons were over, so I was able to get through the line in less than an hour.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM

6,651 posts, read 5,578,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
If you need to get a fix of Shadenfreude this weekend, head over to Cameron Village. On second thought, please don’t. The lane markings and crosswalk paint have completely worn off of Cameron Street. It is like one broad paved Schlitterbahn, and a sick, sadistic game of ******* walking around there, dodging dockless scooters along the sidewalks, the “____ who ‘lunch’ “ crowd driving big hulking SUVs with one hand and a cell phone in another along the streets, all while the new State students and their parents arrive into the “big city” for move in... I stocked up supplies at the Harris Teeter like an “ice storm hurricane” was coming, just so I can avoid the area through Labor Day. At least double coupons were over, so I was able to get through the line in less than an hour.
The back story for that is that the city's transportation department approved a plan to restripe Cameron Street as a 3-lane road (1 lane in each direction with a center left turn lane) with bike lanes (which IMO would be a great place for the scooters to ride). Despite a traffic study being done that showed just a 1-2 second increase in delay (very minimal) and traffic volumes that show that 2 lanes in each direction aren't needed, the CV management didn't like losing that 1 lane in each direction and since the owner used to be a former mayor with political pull (Smedes York), city council balked at doing anything and the pavement markings have since faded.

Last week I heard though that one of the city councilors Nicole Stewart sat down with CV management and negotiated a pilot program to try out the new lane configuration thru the end of November and re-evaluating afterwards so they should be putting down those temporary markings pretty soon.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:24 AM

845 posts, read 1,687,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Well, that's New York for ya. They don't say that much here in North Carolina. I say I was on 54 or 87 or Highway 54 or Highway 87. Almost never use "route" except to refer to a paper route. I'm an NC native.
In NY people call Interstate 90 "the Thruway." Interstate 698, 481, 81, 87 (which is the downstate extension of the Thruway,( etc. are just referred to by their number only, and secondary roads are referred to as Route 57, Route 5, etc. People who live in small towns or rural areas where those roads pass through just call them by the number only. Compounding confusion for those of us who live in larger cities but travel in rural areas is the duplication of numbers. There is a State Route 11 and a County Highway 11, but the Highway designation only seems to be used in GPS... although even then it sometimes appears as CR-11 (County Route 11) or SR-11 (State Route 11.)

Old 08-17-2018, 08:14 PM

368 posts, read 294,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The back story for that is that the city's transportation department approved a plan to restripe Cameron Street as a 3-lane road (1 lane in each direction with a center left turn lane) with bike lanes (which IMO would be a great place for the scooters to ride). Despite a traffic study being done that showed just a 1-2 second increase in delay (very minimal) and traffic volumes that show that 2 lanes in each direction aren't needed, the CV management didn't like losing that 1 lane in each direction and since the owner used to be a former mayor with political pull (Smedes York), city council balked at doing anything and the pavement markings have since faded.

Last week I heard though that one of the city councilors Nicole Stewart sat down with CV management and negotiated a pilot program to try out the new lane configuration thru the end of November and re-evaluating afterwards so they should be putting down those temporary markings pretty soon.
Damn short memory out there. Peace/Clark used to be a four-lane undivided road next to Cameron Village. Problems at almost every intersection. Left turn vehicles waiting in the left of the two lanes would block the view of a left turner in the opposite direction (and vice versa) since to see any vehicles coming, you had to look "through" the opposing vehicle. Changed it to three lanes sometime in the late '90s. Now drivers could see past left turn vehicles in the opposite direction. Greatly reduced crash rate, and the operation got better (yes, better. Less weaving back and forth made things more consistent.)

Cameron Village and Smedes York, you don't know what the f--- you're talking about, get the hell out of the way and let the pros handle it.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:57 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
Do people in the Raleigh area always put on their driving lights during the day to be better seen? Some areas of the country this is common place, others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary