Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 01:54 AM

319 posts, read 255,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonmom View Post
Twingles, this is great advice! By subbing, you're will be able to "try out" different schools to gauge the administration and overall feeling of multiple schools before applying for a position (you're looking at them as much as they are looking at you).

By renting, you're are doing the same. Not only will you be able to ultimately choose a location close to your workplace, you can "try out" an area without committing. You're can also use this time to visit and look into other areas where you may choose to buy, should the opportunity arise. You can always work in Wake and live in another county close by, but it depends on where you work.

As to where I would choose to live in your position.... There are a lot of desirable places in the Triangle to relocate, although I can't say which would have the best houses in your price range. I would keep an eye on those that are growing quickly (Apex, Clayton, Morrisville, Knightdale, Fuquay) so that hopefully resale will be good. Although Wendell and Rolesville are also growing, I am not sure I can speak for these either way. Holly Springs, Cary, and Wake Forest are very nice too, although probably more expensive. Each community has its own flavor, and has its own benefits. I suggest that you visit each one that you consider, and maybe even talk to people living there. Also, it would be a good idea to visit them each at rush hour ; )
Great advice... very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 AM

609 posts, read 505,512 times
Why buy now? You could wait a little?

Old 08-20-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Why buy now? You could wait a little?
I have been advised to rent a little while before buying which is definitely prudent advice. I was just worried about getting caught if the market appreciates at the rate it's been going.

Either way, I guess it's better to spend a little bit more money and buy the right place in the right neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM

105 posts, read 101,309 times
Keep in mind with a townhome or condo your home values will be the first to fall and the last to recover. HOA is also higher since HOA covers the roof and exterior.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotDevil View Post
Keep in mind with a townhome or condo your home values will be the first to fall and the last to recover. HOA is also higher since HOA covers the roof and exterior.
Understood...but it comes down to buying a single-family home further out from the city center in an okay neighborhood as opposed to buying a townhome closer to the city in a better neighborhood, for about the same price.

In that case, which do you think would be the smarter move?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusxiv View Post
Understood...but it comes down to buying a single-family home further out from the city center in an okay neighborhood as opposed to buying a townhome closer to the city in a better neighborhood, for about the same price.

In that case, which do you think would be the smarter move?
Or you could not do the neighborhood thing and get a plot of land and build to suit. If you're going to look at the Cleveland Crossing area there's still lots of land to be had in Johnston County, it just depends on how far you're willing to drive. And I wouldn't focus so much on the neighborhood. Neighbors can and will change, and you have no control over who will live next door. A great neighborhood can have a bat**** crazy neighbor, and an okay neighborhood can have down-to-earth hard-working people.

Considering that you're single, I would consider the possibility of upsizing in the future when starting a family, and when looking at townhomes, depending on the economy at that time you'll either do a little better than break even or lose out when reselling. Townhomes historically have fared worse than detached homes in the valuation field.

I used to travel for work so a long commute isn't a big deal for me, and I'd rather have some acreage than deal with an HOA or neighbors. It just depends on you.

If you REALLY want to be economical you could buy some acreage in an area you like and buy a modest manufactured home, pay cheap mortgage and save for a future house. There's a lot of different ways to go about it.

There's still some affordable land in the McGees Crossroads area even though it's developing rapidly. The drive to downtown is about 40 minutes depending on your work schedule and ability to get past the 4042 and 70 traffic.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Or you could not do the neighborhood thing and get a plot of land and build to suit. If you're going to look at the Cleveland Crossing area there's still lots of land to be had in Johnston County, it just depends on how far you're willing to drive. And I wouldn't focus so much on the neighborhood. Neighbors can and will change, and you have no control over who will live next door. A great neighborhood can have a bat**** crazy neighbor, and an okay neighborhood can have down-to-earth hard-working people.

Considering that you're single, I would consider the possibility of upsizing in the future when starting a family, and when looking at townhomes, depending on the economy at that time you'll either do a little better than break even or lose out when reselling. Townhomes historically have fared worse than detached homes in the valuation field.

I used to travel for work so a long commute isn't a big deal for me, and I'd rather have some acreage than deal with an HOA or neighbors. It just depends on you.

If you REALLY want to be economical you could buy some acreage in an area you like and buy a modest manufactured home, pay cheap mortgage and save for a future house. There's a lot of different ways to go about it.

There's still some affordable land in the McGees Crossroads area even though it's developing rapidly. The drive to downtown is about 40 minutes depending on your work schedule and ability to get past the 4042 and 70 traffic.
There's definitely advantage to having some space around you as a buffer against crazy neighbors... LOL.

However, I would like to be within 5 minutes driving time of a grocery store, drug store, things of that nature. That's what makes the Flowers Plantation area of Clayton appealing. It has a rural feel but also some key conveniences that come in handy.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
There's definitely advantage to having some space around you as a buffer against crazy neighbors... LOL.

However, I would like to be within 5 minutes driving time of a grocery store, drug store, things of that nature. That's what makes the Flowers Plantation area of Clayton appealing. It has a rural feel but also some key conveniences that come in handy.
Completely understand. Still, check out McGees Crossroads. I live on 10 acres of land, across from a tobacco farm. Sheetz. CVS, Food Lion, Dollar General, Wendys, Bojangles, McDonalds, Hardees, Subway, a hardware store, Advance Auto, plus more are being built, are 5 minutes away. There's new houses going up starting in the low? 200s right at the intersection of I-40 and 210. Wal-Mart, Lowe's Foods, Lowe's Hardware, and tons of other stuff are 15 minutes away.

It's a rapidly growing area still in its infancy but is expected to mirror 40/42 area within 5-10 years.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Completely understand. Still, check out McGees Crossroads. I live on 10 acres of land, across from a tobacco farm. Sheetz. CVS, Food Lion, Dollar General, Wendys, Bojangles, McDonalds, Hardees, Subway, a hardware store, Advance Auto, plus more are being built, are 5 minutes away. There's new houses going up starting in the low? 200s right at the intersection of I-40 and 210. Wal-Mart, Lowe's Foods, Lowe's Hardware, and tons of other stuff are 15 minutes away.

It's a rapidly growing area still in its infancy but is expected to mirror 40/42 area within 5-10 years.
Do you have access to high-speed internet in that area?

Also, what is the name of the subdivision that's going up which you mention?

Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Do you have access to high-speed internet in that area?

Also, what is the name of the subdivision that's going up which you mention?
You will not have your 20--30 minute access to DT Raleigh from that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary