Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2002wgn View Post
Oh, well ... yeah, I want/need a RealID. Crap. So, my original question stands. Which license center should I go to?

I'm sure if I renew my license online, and then go in for a RealID, that I would have to pay twice. I'd rather not do that, but I'd also rather not drive illegally. How do people with jobs that can't take days off deal with this crap? This is terrible.
If you have a valid passport, don't bother with the Real ID. Just renew your DL online and use your passport when you have to fly.

If you don't have a passport, and you have a few months before you have to renew your DL, you can call and make an appointment at the location of your choice. You won't have to wait in line to get a number. Go right up to the front and tell them you're there for an appointment.

If you don't have time, and are willing to travel, go to one of the rural offices. You'll still have to wait, but not as long as you would in the Triangle.

I feel like this topic should be a sticky. It seems to pop up every now an then. Search this forum for "DMV" or "RealID" and you'll get a number of threads that you can look through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 12:57 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Color me ignorant.... I don't really know what RealID is.

I have to renew in the next couple months and want to do it online because i'm not a masochist.

I currently have a class B CDL but I don't need it anymore so was just going to renew for standard class C and get on with my life.

How important is this "RealID" thing?

Old 08-21-2018, 01:04 PM

110 posts, read 204,042 times
We just did this the end of July to get my Son's drivers license and tried three times with crazy stupid wait times. The last try was at Spring Forest location, they got in line at 6:00am and were about 12 in line (the location opens at 7:00) I think they finished in a couple of hours. Previously they tried several supposedly less busy locations with no luck.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM

845 posts, read 1,687,227 times
Quote:
Oh, well ... yeah, I want/need a RealID. Crap. So, my original question stands. Which license center should I go to?

I'm sure if I renew my license online, and then go in for a RealID, that I would have to pay twice. I'd rather not do that, but I'd also rather not drive illegally. How do people with jobs that can't take days off deal with this crap? This is terrible.
My wife wanted to change her license to a RealID when we changed our address (I already had one.) She checked into making an advance appointment online for Atlantic Ave but the earliest opening they had was mid October. Avant Ferry had an opening about ten days out. She booked that one, showed up about 5 minutes before the appointed time, breezed in past the line, and was in and out in 15 minutes elapsed time - TOTAL!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:19 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:

It's a $40 fee to get a DL...really not that big of a deal, and I think the cost to upgrade to a real ID compliant license is $10 which is the lost/replacement fee.

For me it was worth the $10 to renew online and not spend it in line for hours, I will gladly skip the real ID this time especially since I have a passport and global entry which comes with a card that I can also use when going through airport security. Plus that isn't a requirement until 2020 IIRC.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:24 PM

289 posts, read 254,741 times
OP here. I just decided to renew online. The reason is that since NC is a "compliant" state, there is no real benefit to me for getting the RealID now. This way, I can drive legally, and have until October 2020 to get my RealID. I'll come back on here between now and 2020, and see what people are experiencing at the various centers. Most likely, I'll go to a rural town when the time comes for me to finally get the new ID.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-21-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Color me ignorant.... I don't really know what RealID is.

I have to renew in the next couple months and want to do it online because i'm not a masochist.

I currently have a class B CDL but I don't need it anymore so was just going to renew for standard class C and get on with my life.

How important is this "RealID" thing?
In a couple of years, you will either need a RealID or a Passport to fly. The standard DL (does not have a gold star) will not be accepted by TSA.

It will also be needed to enter military bases and some government buildings.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Old 08-21-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
OP here. I just decided to renew online. The reason is that since NC is a "compliant" state, there is no real benefit to me for getting the RealID now. This way, I can drive legally, and have until October 2020 to get my RealID. I'll come back on here between now and 2020, and see what people are experiencing at the various centers. Most likely, I'll go to a rural town when the time comes for me to finally get the new ID.

Thanks everyone!
Since you're renewing online and you'll have plenty of time to get the RealID, you can just make an appointment when you're ready to do it. Just make sure to call for an appointment a few months before you actually want to go. By making an appointment, you won't have to go to a rural town (just make your appointment at your local DMV), and you won't have to wait in line.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In a couple of years, you will either need a RealID or a Passport to fly. The standard DL (does not have a gold star) will not be accepted by TSA.

It will also be needed to enter military bases and some government buildings.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
So...if i have a flight scheduled on the day my current license expires in about 3 months (true story....it's also my 30th birthday...yikes); and I renew my current license before then online....I'll be OK at the airport?

I do have a passport too so I guess I can bring that just in case.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:52 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
So...if i have a flight scheduled on the day my current license expires in about 3 months (true story....it's also my 30th birthday...yikes); and I renew my current license before then online....I'll be OK at the airport?

I do have a passport too so I guess I can bring that just in case.
Yes you will be fine. My wife uses her DL all the time even going through precheck. She does not have a real ID license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: