Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 03:51 PM

21 posts, read 65,966 times

Advertisements

What are the normal business hours in the Raleigh area? I currently live in NY and am use to the typical work day starting at 9:00 and ending at 5:00 but realize many other states have much earlier start times. What's typical for the area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
I work from 6:45am to 3:30pm with a 45 minute lunch. My wife is at work by 6am and usually gets off around 2pm with a 30 minute "free lunch".

I never knew that starting at 9am was "typical". I would think most typical hours would probably start at 8am or no later than 8:30am. It really depends on what kind of work you would be doing I suppose.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnn View Post
What are the normal business hours in the Raleigh area? I currently live in NY and am use to the typical work day starting at 9:00 and ending at 5:00 but realize many other states have much earlier start times. What's typical for the area. Thanks.
I don't think the state you live in has anything to do with so called "normal" business hours. It is more about your individual business or employer and their guidelines and requirements. The state doesn't really have anything to do with it.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnn View Post
I currently live in NY and am use to the typical work day starting at 9:00 and ending at 5:00.
Man! 9 to 5! Where can I get a cushy job like that? And I suppose you get a 2 hour lunch break too

I arrive at work at 7am and leave at 4pm. A few other guys in my group arrive at 9-10am and leave at around 6-7pm. We try to avoid rush hour traffic and our employer lets us be flexible.

I take my lunch break at my desk, but usually spend at least 2 hours per day on City-Data.com

Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times
I believe that around this time (April-May) last year, someone made the comment that there was more traffic than she thought she would see mid-morning on a work day. Folks responded and gave their opinions about why there was traffic (I can't find the thread). I remember posters saying that some workers had four-day work weeks, so they are not in an office Monday through Friday. Others spoke of workers having half-days on Fridays (longer work hours during the week), so those folks were out and about as well. Some folks telecommuted, so they weren't tied to an office building at all. All that to say, the work hours and days seem to vary quite a bit.

Revision: I found it! I finally remembered that City-Data can be googled. Duh!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-off-work.html

Don't pay attention to the little fusses that people are having in the thread. What's buried in this thread is people talking about their work schedules.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by virgo; 04-01-2008 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: To post a thread link.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
All depends what place you work at around here.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
People in the Triangle aren't reliant on public transportation. So, working hours tend to be as diverse as the jobs and employees. On my floor at work, people start arriving as early as 7am and as late as 9:30am. Days start wrapping up anytime between 3:30 until 6pm.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
When people talk about typical business hours, I think they're usually thinking of banks and doctors' offices. My bank's hours are M-F, 8:30-5:30. My doctor's office is open M-F, 8:30-5:00.

My husband's office (which does not serve th public) goes by flex time: as long as you're in by 10 and work 8 hours, the bosses are happy.

The only unusual quirk I know about the working hours here is that some businesses that you might expect to be open are closed on Sunday. Even some restaurants will do this ... or they'll close early after the post-church lunch rush is over.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 PM

149 posts, read 515,668 times
most offices are 8-5

most service industries (contractors/ exterminators/ HVAC) are 7-4, maybe 5

many doctors keep weird hours (ie: half day fridays, closed one day a week, etc)

my hubby works 7-5, and takes a half day one day a week (usually on Mondays)

but nothing is set in stone, these just seem to be the standard hours I have noticed

Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 PM

21 posts, read 65,966 times
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I should have been more specific and asked if most salaried office jobs are 35 or 40 hours. I totally understand the hours depend on the type of job but from my experience in NY most salaried office jobs are 9-5, 8-4 or 10-6 with one hour for lunch. I've worked as an executive assistant in the legal, medical, investment banking and pharmaceutical fields and this was always the case.

The actual work day might have been shorter but my commute most days was 1 to 1-1/2 hours each way (absolute hell-lol), not that this had anything to do with the hours established by any of my employers.

Some jobs were very cushy and others defnitely were not.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary