Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,254,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muvonga View Post
Attend the meetings
Any tips on how to find their meeting schedule? The link is for the whole town calendar and I can’t find a filter just for this board. There is one by location (no idea where they meet) and by “theme”. Tried “art” there but it brings only some different meetings.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Actually she pokes fun at Fuquay a lot more than the surrounding towns. The underwear thing is supposed to be Fuquay's respond to Cary. It's self deprecating. Make sense?

You should check it out, some of the memes are hilarious.
I didn't know it existed it is pretty funny.

I don't Facebook but I could view it, just click on the "posts" button:

https://www.facebook.com/fuquaymemes/
Attached Thumbnails
Town of Cary Wastes ,000 of Your Tax Money On Tree Skirts-70c92d94-e101-436e-b906-f6abde17e741.jpeg  

Old 09-03-2018, 08:53 PM

79 posts, read 227,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I didn't know it existed it is pretty funny.

I don't Facebook but I could view it, just click on the "posts" button:

https://www.facebook.com/fuquaymemes/
So thanks to the Cary public arts advisory board who hired this "artist", the town has become the laughing stock of the triangle.

Regardless of how much that artist was actually paid by the town, it wasn't worth it.

C'mon man. This is not art.

Last edited by johnpd; 09-03-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 09:06 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpd View Post
So thanks to the Cary public arts advisory board who hired this "artist", the town's has become the laughing stock of the triangle.

Regardless of how much that artist was actually paid by the town, it wasn't worth it.

C'mon man. This is not art.
It's going to be ok. Can we start a GoFundMe to get this guy his 10 cents back?

Old 09-03-2018, 09:07 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
RE: Fuquay Varina Memes...

Definitely more focused on making fun of FV than other towns... usually they reference other towns only as a foil to FV. They do occasionally lump in Holly Springs in the "less classier than thou" category along with FV though.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:15 PM

79 posts, read 227,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's going to be ok. Can we start a GoFundMe to get this guy his 10 cents back?
No thanks. I don't accept welfare.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:43 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
While the amount of money is very small in this instance generally I have found that when you get expenditures such as foo-foo artsy stuff you have other, larger costs for non-essential items as well. In other words, the $2200 is possibly indicative of a larger problem.

Government loves spending money, even in the conservative small town my wife worked at in another life when the end of the year came they spent all their allotment to ensure getting the same or more next year.

Another example IMO is Raleigh printing up these nice "I voted 2016" stickers. My wife was furious. "2016!! Seriously! So now they throw away all the unused stickers becuse they can't be used again!". Remember she works in private industry and has to account for her budget, as big as it is, and something like that was just wasteful. But, government doesn't see it, they see a cute little sticker to hand out. It's not "their money", after all.

People think VERY differently when it's their money being spent.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Government loves spending money, .
Yup. And the "it's only 'X' amount of dollars" thing is how taxes start going up and up and up. BTDT.

You do not reign in the government from spending money once they start. It's closing the barn door after the horse has left.

As far as FV memes, I think the FB page's owner's intent is lost on the people of FV. I "get it", but most of them don't. I guess it's because I'm from Cary

Old 09-04-2018, 05:03 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Honestly it it wasn't Downtown I would agree with the above sentiments, but I was down there this weekend and while I'm far from an artsy person, I think the displays were cools and my kids loved looking at them (and playing on them lol).

Every time I go downtown there is something a little different, and every time I comment on how it's just getting nicer and nicer. I have confidence that the TOC knows what they're doing, and spending 16k on art for a downtown area that they're doing an amazing job of reviving, isn't wasteful IMO.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:42 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
As far as FV memes, I think the FB page's owner's intent is lost on the people of FV. I "get it", but most of them don't. I guess it's because I'm from Cary
Do you have any idea how condescending you sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary