Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 PM

55 posts, read 353,546 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the response. 5-8 I can handle easily.

We have five crossing and only one bridge that gets you over the tracks. That just opened this spring. I love it. I think I save $30 in gas a month just by using the bridge vs waiting for trains.

Many a days I would just shut my car off. They average about 120 cars a train. Sometimes you have to wait for 3 trains.

Basically in Flagstaff there is no where to go to avoid the noise. 2 miles and 5 crossings. TOOT TOOT...

But gotta say outside of that this is a lovely area. Very outdoorsy, fresh air, and dark skies. Limited lights because we have an observatory.

I look for the good where ever I am but this is the first time I lived somewhere where there was a detractor you could not escape.

Have a great day everyone.

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
I am thinking of buying a house in that same neighborhood. Did you buy there and if so, how is the train noise?

Old 09-27-2018, 08:00 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times
We’re about 3/4-1 mile from the crossing at Old Apex and Laura Duncan and can hear the train whistle clearly when it comes through. I actually like the sound, but the routine one around midnight does wake my kids up every now and then. I wouldn’t want to be closer than we are.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:23 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
When I first moved in to my place, I could clearly hear the train whistle at the Norfolk Southern yard by Five Points. Two years later and I've forgotten I live close to a train yard.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 AM

242 posts, read 150,168 times
I live a couple hundred feet from the tracks near High House/Old Apex (can clearly see the tracks from yard) and work from home. Probably about as close to the tracks as the closest house in SH currently for sale I honestly couldn't tell you how many times a day the train comes through. It is a non event for us.

Funny as I type this, I hear a train whistle obviously coming through and in under a minute it is gone. If I wasn't actively thinking about it, it would just have been background noise.

The only regular train I do recall is that late evening one since it often matches up with my bedtime routine, but I would say it rolls through a lot closer to 10pm than midnight. It has never disturbed the sleep of anyone in our house (maybe we are just heavy sleepers).

Now you want to talk about something that does annoy me: neighbors that leave their dogs outside barking all day. But that is another post.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:12 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2land View Post
I live a couple hundred feet from the tracks near High House/Old Apex (can clearly see the tracks from yard) and work from home. Probably about as close to the tracks as the closest house in SH currently for sale I honestly couldn't tell you how many times a day the train comes through. It is a non event for us.

Funny as I type this, I hear a train whistle obviously coming through and in under a minute it is gone. If I wasn't actively thinking about it, it would just have been background noise.

The only regular train I do recall is that late evening one since it often matches up with my bedtime routine, but I would say it rolls through a lot closer to 10pm than midnight. It has never disturbed the sleep of anyone in our house (maybe we are just heavy sleepers).

Now you want to talk about something that does annoy me: neighbors that leave their dogs outside barking all day. But that is another post.

LOL
You are pretty close to the train for my tastes, but we are same chapter, verse, and page on people who share their dogs loneliness...

Old 09-27-2018, 02:54 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffgal View Post
I was wondering how many trains pass through Cary everyday.
It depends on what part of Cary you're talking about.

East Cary, along East Chatham St as it becomes Hillsborough St toward Raleigh: 14-16 per day
North Cary, along NC 54 toward RTP: 10-12 per day
West Cary, along old US 1 toward Apex: 4 per day
Far West Cary, along Davis Drive or NC 55 toward RTP and Durham: 2 per day

Old 09-27-2018, 03:12 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
It depends on what part of Cary you're talking about.

East Cary, along East Chatham St as it becomes Hillsborough St toward Raleigh: 14-16 per day
That Apex to Durham train has started sneaking runs in on Sunday. Sunday night...

Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM

580 posts, read 711,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinT View Post
I'm considering buying a home over in the Upchurch Farms subdivision right off of Collins/Jenks Rd and that backs up to the train tracks as well. I know the trains are slow there, but I'm a bit concerned of the toot noise as well (no so much the noise of the train). Does anyone live nearby there (esp. residence of Whitebridge that also back up to the tracks)?
I am on the other side of Waldo Rood and I hear the whistles quite well. Late at night sometimes and early in the morning. But I am also a light sleeper.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:10 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
This has peaked my interest a little as I didn't realize there were that many?
I'm in the 4 per day in Sanford, and I consider it two per day because two
of them are Amtrak and they don't count. I'm curious to see how many are
locals and how many are what I call run through trains like NS349? I know I get
CSX F741 and F742 and Amtrak 91 and 92. Once in a while the two coal ash trains
will pass through (if they're still running now) and once in a great while a rock train...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary