Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaderGirl View Post
I made it through Ike in a suburb just northwest of Houston in 2008 (Tomball). We had city water but it went out during the storm and it took 9 days to get it back due to pipe damage somewhere along the line. It wasn't just unsafe to drink, it was unavailable period. Being a hospital employee, I had access to clean water that I could easily transport but others were not so lucky. I showered at work before and after shifts and hauled water. It was not fun.

~Amy
Yikes!

Yeah... I am a big fan of keeping water around. You never know when you'll need it.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 AM

232 posts, read 552,909 times
What kind of generator would you need to run a fridge/freezer? And is there any chance there are any still available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Where did your mom live RZ? Three weeks is a long time! I'm okay with it being out this time of year for a few days, but after about 2 it starts to get old really fast.
Off Forestville Road. They were on a road where there weren't many families and it wasn't paved. Sooo.... it was ALMOST 3 whole weeks to get them back on.

Which pretty much means I adopted my parents until my stepdad borrowed a generator... aka about a week. Fun times!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAVacation View Post
What kind of generator would you need to run a fridge/freezer? And is there any chance there are any still available?
To the last question... not likely.

To the first... Not sure, but they say on the boxes and in the online descriptions.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:44 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asearchforreason View Post
That was GFS and should be taken with a grain of salt, according to most forecasters. Even still that run had it holding off shore for 2 days before coming into the OBX as a Cat5 Monday.

I'd watch the NHC guidance as they take in information from all the models and understand their limitations.
All the models are soooo confusing to me lol

Old 09-10-2018, 03:58 PM

You know those tall skinny pine trees with the poofs on the top that are all over the area? How do those do in high winds? They seem pretty flexible.

Seems like the bigger risk would be them uprooting in wet soil.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:02 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
I feel bad asking this, but when is this supposed to clear up? I have an international trip scheduled for next Tuesday, and I assume I should be able to fly out okay.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
I feel bad asking this, but when is this supposed to clear up? I have an international trip scheduled for next Tuesday, and I assume I should be able to fly out okay.
They don't really know - depends on how fast it's moving, and what it does when it hits land.

I don't know that I'd assume Tuesday would be fine, but I'd put some money on it.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:09 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You know those tall skinny pine trees with the poofs on the top that are all over the area? How do those do in high winds? They seem pretty flexible.

Seems like the bigger risk would be them uprooting in wet soil.
Loblolly pines do not perform well in high winds. They tend to snap at the top, as they are top heavy. I had one snap and fall on top of a car I was set to trade-in the next day. Fortunately, it wasn't a direct hit, so no real issue, but I just new it was going to happen once the storm started blowing.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Loblolly pines do not perform well in high winds. They tend to snap at the top, as they are top heavy. I had one snap and fall on top of a car I was set to trade-in the next day. Fortunately, it wasn't a direct hit, so no real issue, but I just new it was going to happen once the storm started blowing.
Being a pine it's pretty soft though no? I've seen some driving around that are bent over almost 90 degrees.

I'm just looking at all of them around my house lol.

Glad to know what they're called though - I had no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary