Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:05 PM

42 posts, read 55,884 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to get a RO unit or a whole house filtration installed. Any suggestions for reputable companies?

Thanks and appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:11 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
do you want filtration brands suggestions or installation companies?

Old 02-24-2018, 09:17 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
The OP wants suggestions for reputable "COMPANIES"

Old 02-24-2018, 11:31 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
1. You do NOT want a "whole house" RO - the water would be TOO clean, and would damage your pipes/fixtures.

2. What are you trying to remove from your water?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
+1 on testing before you drop thousands on a filter system you may not need.

I had a girlfriend move in with me who was super concerned about bad quality drinking water and wanted me to put in a filtration system.
I got a water testing kit from a local lab and paid to have my samples tested by a lab.
I got back actual, specific, accurate results, not just "it's city water so it must be impure".
I knew what I was drinking, and could see if I needed to filter anything.

As mentioned above, an RO system may be overkill and it's certainly expensive.
Even if you decide to go ahead and add filtration, having the test results will make the system design more effective, and probably cheaper, (since it only will have to filter out what needs to be removed, and not try to remove all possible contaminates). Maybe all you would need are carbon-filtration cartridges, which would cost a LOT less.

Note: City of Cary provides free testing for lead:
Testing for Lead | Town of Cary

If your concerned about other contaminates, just Google "water testing cary nc"

(Be careful not to use the 'free water testing kits' you see at Home Depot as they are reported to be just advertisements for a whole-house water softener company.)

Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM

After reading the article about the issues with water in Cary, I have been planning on an RO system but haven't acted on it. We currently use the water filter in the refrigerator and replace it every 6 months. Just wanted to check out the RO system to see ifeliminates the contaminants so I don't have it always on the back of my mind.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2CaryRE View Post
After reading the article about the issues with water in Cary, I have been planning on an RO system but haven't acted on it. We currently use the water filter in the refrigerator and replace it every 6 months. Just wanted to check out the RO system to see ifeliminates the contaminants so I don't have it always on the back of my mind.
I've got 40+ years in the industry, primarily commercial/industrial. Now semi-retired, I primarily focus on residential applications. 99% of the time, whole-house RO is THE most expensive way to address water issues. The water it produces is so pure that it WILL damage your plumbing, and can actually create more problems than it solves. If you can tell me what you're trying to remove, I can help you isolate the best treatment regimen for your needs. I do NOT service your area, nor do I do "mail order" systems (one of the worst ways to buy a system IMO) - so my only "pay-back" is to help someone out with an honest appraisal of what's needed. Most companies prey on folks like yourself - you want to protect your family, so they'll scare the bejesus out of you so you'll pay a ridiculous amount of $$$.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 AM

This is what I was referring to
Elevated levels of unregulated chemicals found in Jordan Lake, Cary drinking water :: WRAL.com

I am looking for a RO system under the kitchen sink..but then I was not sure if it removes whatever contaminants they are talking about in the article.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM

RO will do it....at a cost - both in terms of water (home RO's recover about 10-20% of the water you feed them at best) and replacement filters. Home RO cartridges should be replaced every 6 months - but most don't do it, and instead forget to service them at all. Or they pay a company to come do it......and that adds up quick (not a shot at service companies - it's not cheap putting a service truck and technician on the road). If you're going to do a home RO, get one that you can service yourself (preferably using the quarter-turn replacement cartridges to minimize leaks) and then do it religiously.

Or.....install a good activated Bituminous Coal carbon filter cartridge under your sink, and replace it every 6 months or so. My quick research indicates that the right carbon will address the issue quite effectively, and at a much lower cost. Here's one interesting article about it:

Water expert claims CFPUA can filter GenX out of water - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

Old 02-25-2018, 07:02 PM

Any suggestions on the brands of the coal catridge filters? How efficient are the filters used in the refrigerator?

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. Helps a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary