Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:04 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times

Advertisements

I am guessing that since about 6 schools are being used as shelters, we will not have school on Monday and Tuesday and possibly longer. Wednesday is a teacher work day. I actually have no issue with this since the schools are being used by evacuees but am curious how the district will handle make up days they have already resorted to a Saturday make up day for Traditional. I hope winter is mild!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 AM

554 posts, read 1,154,877 times
Wondering the same......hope we know sooner rather than later!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:38 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
If they closed schools Thursday (which was a waste) they will surely close on Monday. You can take that to the bank.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 AM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
I would hope that they would evaluate on a school by school or more localized basis. This event here in Raleigh amounted to no more than a few days of rain and intermittent downpours and high winds. It was basically the mildest outcome possible from what was predicted a week ago. Almost all significant issues in the city streets and rights of way seem to have been cleared according to city dashboards. A number of trees have been downed, but nothing widespread or remotely catastrophic on an overall scale. Cancelling the full day of school on Thursday was a mistake (and NOT just in 20:20 hindsight). The idea that WCPSS may be out for a full WEEK because of this is patently absurd. I would let my next vote for school board reflect my displeasure.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
If they closed schools Thursday (which was a waste) they will surely close on Monday. You can take that to the bank.
I believe part of the reason they closed school was to offer up some as shelters. The first 3 opened were at capacity quickly that day. Too bad they did not include that in the message on Wednesday.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:49 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Agree, even though there is zero need and I was disappointed in WCPSS falling for the "every other district is closing Thursday so we must close as well" thing....they've gotten better about that over the years with winter storms. They would have been fine with the originally planned early release and even that was a bit much.

I hope the schools being used as shelters does not affect their decision, as there were evacuees in the schools last week while school was going on. But that's a fluid situation so who knows. I do know that if the county and state want to use schools in unaffected areas as shelters, they need a better plan for how it affects the schools ability to operate....as schools.

I think another issue is the condition of the schools and the wind tomorrow. The principal of DDMS tweeted that the media center has a leak but otherwise the school is fine. Others may have more damage. Also if it's windy tomorrow they may not want to have classes in trailers and modular units. GHHS uses 4 mods and about 10 trailers so moving all those kids inside is not feasible.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
I would hope that they would evaluate on a school by school or more localized basis..... Cancelling the full day of school on Thursday was a mistake (and NOT just in 20:20 hindsight). The idea that WCPSS may be out for a full WEEK because of this is patently absurd. I would let my next vote for school board reflect my displeasure.

School was cancelled Thursday to allow the setup of shelters. There was an influx of folks starting Thursday afternoon. The folks borrowing our schools as their home come from the coast who may learn their home has been destroyed. Have patience and sympathy. I'm sure the kids understand and don't mind their school being used as a shelter.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
School was cancelled Thursday to allow the setup of shelters. There was an influx of folks starting Thursday afternoon. The folks borrowing our schools as their home come from the coast who may learn their home has been destroyed. Have patience and sympathy. I'm sure the kids understand and don't mind their school being used as a shelter.
Exactly, consider this a lesson in empathy for kids, and parents. Two of the shelters are at capacity which is 448 and 517. I am not sure if those schools could operate normally with that many extra people present.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:01 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I'm fine with the schools being used as shelters and understand that our location outside flood zones makes Wake a good place to house people. However....every year we have some "event" that causes major disruptions to the school schedule. I don't know how they chose the schools they are using. There are schools where it may cause less disruption than others. For instance, at Cary HS the gym is pretty much in its own building. That's a better option to use and still keep school open than a school where the gym opens right up into the cafeteria (as it does at Green Hope). Middle schools could also be an option....for instance Davis Drive MS gym is at one end of the school and can be closed off from the rest of the school. At lot of middle schools have similar set ups.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:15 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I’m thinking schools will open again on Tuesday...but not tomorrow. We’ll see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary