Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Say my DH and I decided to take a major hit in this market and sell our home...is the market down there doing as poorly? Because, sorry to admit this, we'd feel better knowing that we sold low and bought low. But up here, homes that 1 year ago were going for, say, $600K are now probably selling at $500K-$525K.

Should we wait it out? Will this market bounce back enough within, say, 3 years?

Thanks again!

I would move if you want to move or stay in PJ if you want to stay. As long as you don't lose money (real money, not on paper money). If you can sell your home for a profit not a loss you are ahead of the game imo. I think the days of mass appreciation up in the North are over for a long while. In 3 years, interest rates could be higher and home prices could keep falling. The area of LI you live is not close to NYC at all, so although it a very nice area it may have bigger losses than say Garden City which is closer to the city. Again good luck with what you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
That's what I would say too. It shouldn't matter what other people tell you. Where you want to live should be your own decision. If you are happy living where you are now, stay there or near there. If you don't like living where you do now...move. If you don't think Wake County or NC is the right place for you...there are 49 other states to choose from! You said in the original post that so many of your friends and neighbors have moved to NC; but that doesn't mean it's the only place worth moving to.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:28 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Default Many thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
That's what I would say too. It shouldn't matter what other people tell you. Where you want to live should be your own decision. If you are happy living where you are now, stay there or near there. If you don't like living where you do now...move. If you don't think Wake County or NC is the right place for you...there are 49 other states to choose from! You said in the original post that so many of your friends and neighbors have moved to NC; but that doesn't mean it's the only place worth moving to.
Very true, very true. But you have to admit...it is like some mass exodus to N.C. Comparable, if not greater, than the "escape" to Florida years ago.

I know in the end we need to make the decisions, but I was really looking for opinions from people who hadn't personal interest in me, people completely unbiased...thank you to all who reached out with their opinions. These opinions are truly valued, seeing as we were only touring Cary with realtors, and never got the full story on anything (NO OFFENSE TO THE BROKERS, OK? But you KNOW you don't, or can't, disclose the important issues). Thanks everyone!!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Yes exactly...and look how that mass escape to Florida turned out...now everyone under the age of 65 is trying to get out of there! (many of them coming up to NC. lol). This sounds kind of harsh, but it's a lot like sheep on a field.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:33 PM

85 posts, read 254,981 times
[quote=SP2SCV;3359352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post

WCPSS:Students continue to excel on 2006 SAT (http://www.wcpss.net/news/2006_sat/index.html - broken link)

Moderator cut: url removed

WCPSS: Forbes Top Ten 2004 (http://www.wcpss.net/news/2004_forbes/ - broken link)

RTRP: Public Schools (http://www.researchtriangle.org/pages.php?page1=52&page2=79&page3=87&page_id=87#wc ps - broken link)

WakeGOV.com - National Recognitions & Accolades

EduBrief | 01.11.07

Moderator cut: url removed

USATODAY.com - Big-city schools struggle with graduation rates

Let me know how many more sources you would like. There are hundreds.
No hundreds are not needed, how about one that supports your claim.

Do you know where 1576 ranks nationally on the SAT's? Just plain average I'm afraid, not exactly top performance.

Come on Forbes, limited to the top 100 districts based upon population size? Based upon affordable housing? We can't consider that to be a sound measure of inclusion in the top of the country list, unless we want to play make believe, and how many times do we need to see this one cross referenced?

Certification, I'm all for it! Do you know 21% of National Board Certified Teachers live in NC? Do you know why? Think pay has any thing to do with it?

USA Today big city-schools struggle? WCPSS is a big-city school that has 17.8% non graduation rate, sorry I fail to see how that qualifies WCPSS in the ranks of the best in the nation. By it's very nature this source excludes the best districts in the Nation and is limited to big-city schools only.

So yes please, I'd like just one that supports WCPSS ranking as a top performing school district nationally.

Last edited by autumngal; 04-06-2008 at 12:28 PM..

Old 04-05-2008, 11:14 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Interestingly, NY has no schools on any of those lists. And an 83% graduation rate for a district considered a large, urban district is VERY good. Funny how you hone in on the 17% NON graduation rate while the rest of us recognize the 83% graduation rate. I guess the glass is really half empty for some people.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Interestingly, NY has no schools on any of those lists. And an 83% graduation rate for a district considered a large, urban district is VERY good. Funny how you hone in on the 17% NON graduation rate while the rest of us recognize the 83% graduation rate. I guess the glass is really half empty for some people.

Are you referring solely to NY urban areas? B/C Long Island schools always have a few in the top 100 high schools in the country. Based on what? Every article bases on different qualifications.

And are we still speaking about WC schools? Because I never heard of Wake being "urban" the way Harlem is.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:27 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
read the articles posted above for specifics.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM

403 posts, read 352,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
read the articles posted above for specifics.

Thanks. That's what they people need to do, is ACTUALLY read all the info.

The OP is considering moving to Cary. Cary is well above Wake County as a whole. When looking at county ratings, one has to remember that it includes the good and the bad, so the numbers Wake County has achieved are super. The county numbers are brought down by the strugglings areas, but Cary's ratings are through the roof. Again, this is why so many families move to Cary.........for a top notch education and safe & friendly living.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
Thanks. That's what they people need to do, is ACTUALLY read all the info.

The OP is considering moving to Cary. Cary is well above Wake County as a whole. When looking at county ratings, one has to remember that it includes the good and the bad, so the numbers Wake County has achieved are super. The county numbers are brought down by the strugglings areas, but Cary's ratings are through the roof. Again, this is why so many families move to Cary.........for a top notch education and safe & friendly living.

And therein lies one of the largest problems with WCPSS. You tout Cary as having great schools and I'm not going to argue. But there's no guarantee that if you live in Cary, you go to Cary schools. Who wants to plunk down $400k on a house with that hanging over your head?

I'm also not impressed with a 1576 SAT score and an 83% graduation rate. If you look at the WCPSS website, even these statistics don't match up with what they are claiming is their phenomonal approach to education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary