U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 AM

718 posts, read 2,031,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post
The best in the nation quote was from another poster who was responding to the op, and was why I chimed in this thread in the first place.

I found it annoying, how real estate agents kept throwing around statements that WCPSS were some of the best in the nation, but when I asked them to back it up they couldn't. As a Research Director I tend to like to see facts.

Comparing schools is a daunting task indeed, especially schools in differing states, all of which use differing testing methodology. No matter how imperfect SAT or ACT comparisons are they remain one of the best scientific measures of school performance.

Please do not misinterpret the whole regents thing, I only put it down because I was copying off of a source in hard copy form that was in front of me, I meant to assign no meaning to it.

I'm happy to hear about your success with your child's elementary school. I believe that WCPSS is doing a fine job on the elementary level especially considering the population growth issues they now face.

In your experience what areas do you feel face the biggest reassignment issues?
I feel all areas in Wake County face reassignment issues as it is a growing area. They need to open more schools and need students to fill them. I am in a area where all the schools are good. I would not have a problem being moved to any of these schools. I don't know anyone in my immediate area that is bused to Wake Forest(far away) to attend school, nor do I know of anyone in Wake Forest that attends our schools.
I feel that once the growth settles down (and NY people find somewhere else to move to) it won't be as crazy as it is now. I think the older and some very expensive areas inside the beltline have the least amount of reassignment issues because its a established area.
If I totally hated the idea of being reassigned I would move to Chapel Hill.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 AM

85 posts, read 180,607 times
I believe this link is ok for City-Data and explains just how flawed Newsweek's Top High School List is:

Education Sector: Analysis and Perspectives: Challenged Index (http://www.educationsector.org/analysis/analysis_show.htm?doc_id=358299 - broken link)

Old 04-08-2008, 09:32 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,296,965 times
Quote:
The best in the nation quote was from another poster who was responding to the op, and was why I chimed in this thread in the first place.

I found it annoying, how real estate agents kept throwing around statements that WCPSS were some of the best in the nation, but when I asked them to back it up they couldn't. As a Research Director I tend to like to see facts.

Comparing schools is a daunting task indeed, especially schools in differing states, all of which use differing testing methodology. No matter how imperfect SAT or ACT comparisons are they remain one of the best scientific measures of school performance.

Please do not misinterpret the whole regents thing, I only put it down because I was copying off of a source in hard copy form that was in front of me, I meant to assign no meaning to it.

I'm happy to hear about your success with your child's elementary school. I believe that WCPSS is doing a fine job on the elementary level especially considering the population growth issues they now face.

In your experience what areas do you feel face the biggest reassignment issues?
In my opinion, just being zoned to.. say.. Wakefield High School helps sell homes - because the public perceives WHS as being a "good school.'" W/E.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I was wondering when we'd get to the Newsweek America's top public High Schools.

Do you know how this list was compiled?

Would you care to discuss the sound scientific methodology used to compile this list?

I've done a lot more research on this subject than just scratching the surface with simple web searches.

This is old news, but we can go over it if you like.
Not really that interested. Just pointing out that it is a list. I feel that you can find a list that agrees with whatever point you are trying to make. You will also always find someone to discredit it.
Looking at the bigger picture is more my style. Schools are only part of the puzzle of life.
We are happy with the choices we made and our schools. Room for improvement? Sure. Nothing perfect.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
In my opinion, just being zoned to.. say.. Wakefield High School helps sell homes - because the public perceives WHS as being a "good school.'" W/E.

I agree, we were shown the Wakefield neighborhoods when we first moved down to NC. It had great test scores. Realtor said it was the "place to be".
Then I wondered how all those students would fit in those schools once the neighborhoods were finished. Then I researched the surrounding schools(thinking some students from Wakefield would get reassigned) and did not like what I saw. We decided against Wakefield.

We decided to move to a area where imo the schools were all good. I have learned and was told nothing is a guarantee in Wake County, but I wanted to put the odds more in our favor. It has worked out so far for us.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:47 AM

85 posts, read 180,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Not really that interested. Just pointing out that it is a list. I feel that you can find a list that agrees with whatever point you are trying to make. You will also always find someone to discredit it.
Looking at the bigger picture is more my style. Schools are only part of the puzzle of life.
We are happy with the choices we made and our schools. Room for improvement? Sure. Nothing perfect.
slynn,

You know what, your happy with your choices and your schools and that is great, and what really matters! When you said "Room for improvement? Sure", displays an open mind.

The mind is like a parachute it works best when it remains open!

You should have a look at the source I sent any way, it is very intelligent and worthwhile.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 AM

1,032 posts, read 2,296,965 times
Quote:
I agree, we were shown the Wakefield neighborhoods when we first moved down to NC. It had great test scores. Realtor said it was the "place to be".
Then I wondered how all those students would fit in those schools once the neighborhoods were finished. Then I researched the surrounding schools(thinking some students from Wakefield would get reassigned) and did not like what I saw. We decided against Wakefield.

We decided to move to a area where imo the schools were all good. I have learned and was told nothing is a guarantee in Wake County, but I wanted to put the odds more in our favor. It has worked out so far for us.

Wakefield High School, like every school in Wake County has its unique set of issues/problems. WHS and WFRHS scores rival each other... but somehow WHS is "the place to be." I love it.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:28 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,090,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
Green Hope HS is some kind of school.. you can have nearly a 4.0 and be in the bottom half of your class (class rank). 'Nuff said.
I don't have a child at Green Hope, nor in WCPSS, so I'm not speaking from fact---just speculation.

My cousin lives in Broward County Florida. She constantly tells me how well ranked her daughter's Weston FL high school is and what a stellar education she is getting. She's in all AP and gifted classes, etc., etc. etc.

She and my oldest son are in the same grade. The difference between what he is learning in 11th grade (only one AP class) and what she is learning in 11th grade (all AP classes) is like comparing 11th grade to 8th grade around here. So as not to be subjective, I'll say that they both took the ACT and the SAT. There was almost a 300 point difference in their scores.

Wonder what schools both kids will apply/get accepted to?

Our godson graduated from a well regarded public high school out west. Honor roll student, athlete, etc. Couldn't get into 5 out of the 6 colleges to which he applied. And all but one were state schools (oregon/washington state).

I have a friend with a daughter at ECHHS. The curriculum is very similar to my son's here in MA. Their SAT scores were similar too.

So my point is, that an AP courseload, and "A" work at one school, does not necessarily equate to the same at another.

Quote:
I never made the statement that Wake County schools were top in the Country, but I also don't put much stock in lists of the best of anything. The only way to get a accurate number is to have the exact same everything. I do feel(according to test scores) that Wake County as well as other counties in NC do have individual schools comparable to Port Jeff. The poster would need to do her reasearch and move into one of those areas.
But that's another problem with WCPSS. You find an area with "good" schools and buy a house there and then get reassigned. No thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM

But that's another problem with WCPSS. You find an area with "good" schools and buy a house there and then get reassigned. No thanks.

Is someone forcing you to move to Wake County? Move to Chapel Hill, they don't get reassigned. Don't move to NC at all. We all have choices. What works for me, may not work for you.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM

3,033 posts, read 6,090,147 times
Quote:

Is someone forcing you to move to Wake County? Move to Chapel Hill, they don't get reassigned. Don't move to NC at all. We all have choices. What works for me, may not work for you.
That's what I've been saying all along. You will not find our children adding to the stress/overload level in WCPSS if/when we move to NC. However, several posters here have advised the OP to do research on the best Wake Co schools and then buy in that area. I just wanted to point out the flaw in that logic.

What was the graduation rate again in WCPSS? Several people have taken me to task for comparing my admittedly small town MA graduation rate against a very large and diverse WCPSS. So I found this link for the entire state of Massachusetts. It ranks district by district but overall, the entire state has a graduation rate of 80%. I would think that the diversity and socio-economic issues would be more similar by comparing the total population across the entire state rather than my little town of 10,000.

Graduation Rate Report (DISTRICT) - Massachusetts Directory Profiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary