Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 02:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

You need to realize that this isn't LI and school taxes don't steal your home from you.

WCPSS gave my kids great educations and a solid background for college. Both have good civil service jobs in NC state IT.

If the WCPSS schools aren't to your specs, you can choose private schools and pay in blood. Otherwise, you can stay in LI and understand why you're paying such high school taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM

403 posts, read 353,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
That surprises me. I recently got several estimates for insurance, and none of them were in that range. Maybe being in a condo makes a difference compared to a detached house?
Well, I am not in a condo and was not in Durham, so I am not sure of pricing on condo's. I do know that the insurance pricing varies GREATLY from one insurance company to another.

Quote:
You didn't live in NY, so maybe, maybe not. I just gave a rough estimate - what kind of number should they expect on a 3000-3500 sq ft detached house?
My electricity bills average just under $50 and my winter time heating with hot water and gas stove is around $90. Add about 50% to that for the size home you are talking about and that should be close. You need to heat more up north, so the savings here is huge. You need AC in both places and the electricity is much cheaper here(see previous poster).

Quote:
Really? I'd think you'd at least have to know where they were going to buy to make that kind of prediction.
The OP stated they are looking at Cary, so I know where they want to buy.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
you can choose private schools and pay in blood.

Pay in blood???????????????

What?????????????????????

Old 04-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
I agree with all but mainly the point about utilities being so low. It is very low. My electric bill here is LIGHTyears lower than when I was in NJ. We are in an all electric home about 2162 sq ft and our bills on the coldest of days have been $180 tops. Then the hotter days when A/C is running its about the same.. but we don't freeze the house up either. (anything is better than 100 degrees LOL)

And car insurance.. 2 cars - 1 2002 dodge ram liability and 1 leased chvy suburban full coverage - $500 6 month policy! NO KIDDIN!

We have found a huge difference in the savings than in NJ. Our area is also about $1500 in prop. taxes.. NJ was near 10K!

Linda

Isn't it just great.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2SCV View Post
WOW!!! Who is your insurance company? My Cary home is in the $300,000's and I pay $331 per year for insurance. When I lived in Durham it was $384.

My gas & electricity bills are DRAMATICALLY lower than up north. It was night and day, so there should be some savings there.

At least your tax estimation is correct, but even that will be dropping next year.
Whoooaaa what is your insurance company??? I may want to investigate it.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That's what they people need to do, is ACTUALLY read all the info.

The OP is considering moving to Cary. Cary is well above Wake County as a whole. When looking at county ratings, one has to remember that it includes the good and the bad, so the numbers Wake County has achieved are super. The county numbers are brought down by the strugglings areas, but Cary's ratings are through the roof. Again, this is why so many families move to Cary.........for a top notch education and safe & friendly living.
Shhhhh.
or the reassignment police will track you down....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
  1. You need to look at the cost of the homes. What will you pay here versus what you must pay up there. It is almost always much less here.
  2. You need to look at the tax "rate". It is currently 1.05% in Wake county and in 2009 will be going down to .59%. This will be a HUGE savings. What is the tax "rate" you are currently paying?
  3. Compared to MA, the electricity, heating and insurance are DRAMATICALLY lower here. I am not sure of the pricing where you live, but I was shocked at how low it was down here.
  4. Schools...........this is an interesting subject. There are some that are very upset and some that are very happy. In any event, Wake county schools are rated as some of the best in the country. Cary is one of the best run towns in the country and is considering seperating its school system from Wake county and running it on its own. Given how they run everything else, it will probably end up being the #1 school system in the country.
  5. Cary is an amazing town that offers an incredibly high quality of life. It is always ranked among the best places to live in the country and I can see why. Low crime, great schools, slower pace of life, many parks, beautifully landscaped............etc.
I think you and your family would be very happy here. Best of luck to you.
The whole thing about Cary separating from the rest of Wake County and starting its own school system is propaganda. Pure propaganda. The Cary "gods" make some noise and threats b/c they don't like the F& R people coming to their town... One article in the paper, one small blurb on WRAL.. a whole lots of threats.. really it makes most folks laugh and laugh... again, pure porpaganda. It won't ever happen, and I'd bet my life on it.
Second - Wake County runs the schools, not CARY. You sound like you have a lot of personal pride for your hometown and I can appreciate that... but keep in mind WCPSS controls pupil assignment -not the folks at the local Cary paper or the Cary Mayor !!!!!

However, the people in Cary are part of Wake County School System.. and their schools are subject to whatever the school board dishes out their way. Forget this NIMBY mentality and the world will be a better place.

That reminds me, dh has a soccer game in Cary next weekend.... road trip to the containment area, just kidding (?)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:25 PM

85 posts, read 255,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Green Hope High School(our High School) located in Cary has a 92.4% graduation rate, no Regents (a joke anyway and only good if you attend a NY college). I have a Regents diploma and graduated from Port Jeff, out of state schools don't recongnize it.
Could you please provide me with the Percentages of all LI schools combined, I'l/ even take just Suffolk County? Wake County is a very large area with tons of schools. I don't see how you can compare a whole COUNTY to one school. Each school needs to be viewed for its own merits.
Lets compare Green Hope High school in Cary against Longwood High school in Coram.
Wow,we do get touchy about our schools don't we!

I'm not saying that there aren't any good schools in WCPSS. The comparison is meant to apply to the theme of this thread, the poster is considering moving down from Port Jeff.

She has concerns about WCPSS about reassignments,over crowding etc.. Some one made a statement that WCPSS were top in the country. That is a statement made quite often, how ever I've never seen it backed up by fact.

I never said there were no high performing schools in WCPSS. Your family is fortunate to be in Green Hope High, good for you. Is every one as fortunate?

I had no problems getting accepted to an out of state university with my NYS diploma, I don't understand why you had difficulty?

Longwood's graduation rate is 81%, 51% regents ( sorry I know your feelings on Regents, I'm just copying from the paper in front of me so don't blow a gasket),40% enrolling in a 4year and 39% in a 2-year whats your point?

Wyndanch is the lowest 68%, still whats your point?

To find all of LI's stats go to LI's largest newspapers website and look up school report card, it's all right there for you.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 PM

85 posts, read 255,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You need to realize that this isn't LI and school taxes don't steal your home from you.

WCPSS gave my kids great educations and a solid background for college. Both have good civil service jobs in NC state IT.

If the WCPSS schools aren't to your specs, you can choose private schools and pay in blood. Otherwise, you can stay in LI and understand why you're paying such high school taxes.
I'm happy for your success.

Did your kids face the issues that today's kids do?

You know after factoring in private school tuition, LI taxes look like a bargain.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny,ny View Post
Wow,we do get touchy about our schools don't we!

I'm not saying that there aren't any good schools in WCPSS. The comparison is meant to apply to the theme of this thread, the poster is considering moving down from Port Jeff.

She has concerns about WCPSS about reassignments,over crowding etc.. Some one made a statement that WCPSS were top in the country. That is a statement made quite often, how ever I've never seen it backed up by fact.

I never said there were no high performing schools in WCPSS. Your family is fortunate to be in Green Hope High, good for you. Is every one as fortunate?

I had no problems getting accepted to an out of state university with my NYS diploma, I don't understand why you had difficulty?

Longwood's graduation rate is 81%, 51% regents ( sorry I know your feelings on Regents, I'm just copying from the paper in front of me so don't blow a gasket),40% enrolling in a 4year and 39% in a 2-year whats your point?

Wyndanch is the lowest 68%, still whats your point?

To find all of LI's stats go to LI's largest newspapers website and look up school report card, it's all right there for you.
Green Hope HS is some kind of school.. you can have nearly a 4.0 and be in the bottom half of your class (class rank). 'Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary