U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2008, 07:21 AM
 
13 posts, read 26,034 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Are there any Clayton folks out there that once moved into Clayton and settled, got use to the town etc.., wished that you lived in a different town? Eg. found out that one of the other towns were more interesting etc. ? I'm just curious. I'd hate to buy a house and then figure out that I like some other town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 AM
 
9,558 posts, read 26,412,240 times
Reputation: 9679
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotri View Post
Are there any Clayton folks out there that once moved into Clayton and settled, got use to the town etc.., wished that you lived in a different town? Eg. found out that one of the other towns were more interesting etc. ? I'm just curious. I'd hate to buy a house and then figure out that I like some other town.
Most people I know who live in Clayton are happy with their decision. That being said, a lot depends on your personal reasons for choosing to live there in the first place. I think no matter where you choose to live in the Triangle area I would rent for 6 months to a year first just to make sure it is a good fit and lives up to your expectations. If you really want to live in Clayton but have a little doubt about the decision, renting will give you some peace of mind by allowing you to easily move should you find it isn't what you wanted after all. I would rent for a year no matter where in the Triangle you initially pick IMO. Sure, if it doesn't work out it kind of stinks to have to move twice, but I think the alternative, being stuck in an area you don't enjoy or trying to sell a 1 year old house while competing with new construction up the street is an even less desirable option.

There are a few Claytonites on this forum who I am sure will give you some helpful first hand info about this.


Good luck wherever you go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
 
29,462 posts, read 33,699,747 times
Reputation: 11093
Default Yepper I am a happy Claytonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Most people I know who live in Clayton are happy with their decision. That being said, a lot depends on your personal reasons for choosing to live there in the first place. I think no matter where you choose to live in the Triangle area I would rent for 6 months to a year first just to make sure it is a good fit and lives up to your expectations. If you really want to live in Clayton but have a little doubt about the decision, renting will give you some peace of mind by allowing you to easily move should you find it isn't what you wanted after all. I would rent for a year no matter where in the Triangle you initially pick IMO. Sure, if it doesn't work out it kind of stinks to have to move twice, but I think the alternative, being stuck in an area you don't enjoy or trying to sell a 1 year old house while competing with new construction up the street is an even less desirable option.

There are a few Claytonites on this forum who I am sure will give you some helpful first hand info about this.


Good luck wherever you go!
We moved down to Clayton in December and love it. We are in the Cleveland area with great access to 42. We can go where we want and get there in short order. Shop in Cary? You got it. Wanna go downtown? You got it. Wanna shop on Glenwood Ave? You got it. You can get to shopping and cultural events when you want. Want peace and quiet and a more country setting you live there. You can't go driving to a peaceful home to sleep in unless you live in it or are going to rent a night there. You can drive to the desired short term activity. Hope this makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 10:22 AM
 
Location: North Raleigh
17 posts, read 52,382 times
Reputation: 22
Default We came, we saw, we went elsewhere

Well, I moved to Clayton in 1999, after many years in Raleigh. Needed a change, y'know? I got the idea that small town living would be OK, and besides, most of my family has moved from various locations to Clayton, so it seemed good to join 'em.

Small town life WAS kind of nice, and Clayton had not grown into the traffic congested/rampant development/garbage strewn impending disaster it has in the years since.

Nevertheless, I've enjoyed aspects of life there, but, as I've said elsewhere, unless going to church and shopping at Walmart, and dining out at the same handful of establishments is your cup of tea, the place can grow a bit... ummm.... dull.

More and more, my wife (who, incidentally, I met in Clayton, though she's from elsewhere) and I were having to drive to Raleigh or Cary for an interesting diversity of things to do, bookstores to browse, films to see, arts, culture, and so on. But then, we are in our mid-fifties and don't "do" the children thing. I gave up church (in Clayton) when the one I attended started promoting right-wing doctrines during the last election. We're a bit liberal in our outlook, and the "George Bush Country" life just wasn't cutting it.

We really just wanted to be among our own kind, and though there are a some definitely very hip folks living in Clayton, there are many more up in the big city. So there it is... we're in Raleigh now, and happier 'n' pigs in... well... we're very pleased.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotri View Post
Are there any Clayton folks out there that once moved into Clayton and settled, got use to the town etc.., wished that you lived in a different town? Eg. found out that one of the other towns were more interesting etc. ? I'm just curious. I'd hate to buy a house and then figure out that I like some other town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Clayton, NC
1,515 posts, read 6,330,466 times
Reputation: 656
Moved from Raleigh to Clayton, absolutely love it.
Great place to raise a family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 12:21 PM
 
119 posts, read 334,614 times
Reputation: 29
What are the things about Clayton that make you think that is the town for you???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Clayton, NC
1,515 posts, read 6,330,466 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
What are the things about Clayton that make you think that is the town for you???

Definately a cheaper way of living. I compared houses in Raleigh (where I was living at the time), the cost of gas/food, taxes, etc and found I could get bigger & better in Clayton for almost half the price. To me, it was a no-brainer. Plus, I rented in Clayton for about six months (like NRG suggested) and found that the people were sooooooooo nice. The schools were better (IMHO) and the location was awesome (hour & a half to the beach!).

The only thing I dont like about Clayton is that there is no bookstore. Have to drive to Raleigh to hit up Barnes & Noble but only because I'm too lazy to order online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
 
892 posts, read 2,791,237 times
Reputation: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
Have to drive to Raleigh to hit up Barnes & Noble but only because I'm too lazy to order online.
The price of gas soon may solve that laziness problem for ya!

Clayton does have some class in the Clayton Center: The Clayton Center NC Performing Arts Auditorium and Conference Center, Clayton North Carolina (broken link)

Other than it and a decent selection of non-chain restaurants, every other thing you need is a short drive to somebody else's town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 PM
 
106 posts, read 306,575 times
Reputation: 54
I agree with ferrick its a great town to raise a family and do have few new restaurants that opened recently. with time maybe will even have a book store. Clayton lets not forget has traditional school and ranked right up there with wake county. I don't know if thats a need for you but thats what made decide to choose clayton the security that my children weren't going to be bussed across town. I chose a good town with good people and good schools for my children. hope that helps lovetotri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Clayton, NC
1,515 posts, read 6,330,466 times
Reputation: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966 View Post
I agree with ferrick its a great town to raise a family and do have few new restaurants that opened recently. with time maybe will even have a book store. Clayton lets not forget has traditional school and ranked right up there with wake county. I don't know if thats a need for you but thats what made decide to choose clayton the security that my children weren't going to be bussed across town. I chose a good town with good people and good schools for my children. hope that helps lovetotri.
I agree!
That was another reason why we moved from Raleigh. We live about 3 minutes away from the elementary school my daughter attended for two years. They were going to rezone the neighborhood so the kids in elementary school would be attending another school that was about 15 minutes away.

The high school & middle school kids (even though the middle school/high school was less than five minutes away) would be shipped off to the area near downtown Raleigh (from North Raleigh at that!)

Since Johnston county has excellent schools and has not been rezoned, it was a no brainer for us to move.

I'm so glad we did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top