Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 AM

257 posts, read 713,032 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm looking at three general areas to move to. I work near the I440/Capital Blvd intersection in North Raleigh, and am trying to figure out commute times (mostly for the morning rush hour, since I start work at 8:00). Not as concerned about afternoon, as I don't leave until after 6:00 most days. I know what MapQuest says, but figure that may not be accurate for morning rush hour. Can anybody help figure out the average commute times for the following places to North Raleigh, in the morning?

1) A little south of Fuquay, which would probably have me taking 401 straight through Raleigh.
2) Holly Springs, which would probably have taking 55 bypass to 1 to 440.
3) Northeast of Clayton, far enough putting in directions had me going towards 264 to 440.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dhwilkin; 04-03-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhwilkin View Post
Can anybody help figure out the average commute times for the following places to North Raleigh, in the morning?

1) A little south of Fuquay, which would probably have me taking 401 straight through Raleigh.
Not sure if "straight through Raleigh" is your best bet on this one. It may be better to go counterclockwise around 440 (outer beltline).

My wife works at that same intersection (NE corner of I440/Capital) and we live down off of 401, so I wish that I could give you some drive times, but unfortunately her morning route takes her into Cary to drop our son off at daycare. She then goes clockwise around I440 (inner beltline) to Capital.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,733,894 times
Well, I'm not positive about the amount of driving time but all of your choices sound very undesireable in my opinion. I would guess each of these drives in morning rush-hour traffic would be an hour or more.

If I were going to be working at I440 & Capital Boulevard, I would definitely look at the Knightdale area, or North Raleigh, or Wake Forest, as opposed to the towns and locations you mentioned which are south of your work location.

Some people like to spend time on the road because they find it relaxing, so if that's to your liking, then your drive may be just what you'll like. I have no personal experience doing that particular drive but I'm sure you'll hear from others who have done so.
Best,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary